Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sending a non-Kel Tec pistol back to the manufacturer for warranty repair. What is the best carrier to send it to them. UPS, USPS, Fed Ex or another? Any tips.

I pay to send it back and they repair at no charge and return it to me on their dime!
Thanks for any info,
OLE442

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Maybe a local FFL can do it for you? I have a local FFL ship for me and he charges a flat $40.

It's usually way more expensive to do it yourself because UPS and Fedex make you ship overnight which is way expensive. USPS you must be an FFL to ship out thru them.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
^ This.

Go to your LGS and ask them to ship.

Basically, you can not legally ship a firearm through USPS without being a FFL. You must ship through a private carrier. Most private carriers have a special (read "much more expensive") rate for firearms than for regular packages. The common wisdom used to be to lie to the carrier about the contents of the package. THIS IS ILLEGAL. Federal law states that you MUST declare to the private carrier if the contents are a firearm. Shipping firearms through a private carrier could cost $80 or more. Further, they usually insist that you go to their "central" shipping office. You can't use the "UPS Store" in the strip mall, for instance.

But most FFL's get a special deal from carriers and they can use USPS, which apparently is less expensive still.

So just take it to your favorite local gun store and let them ship it. It'll cost between $24 and $40 or so and you know you are leaving it with people who've done this before.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yeah, been over a decade ago, but I have shipped "machine parts" once or twice. Not something I care to do again. Still did it overnight, and it was pushing a bill each time.

I'd go with the above advice.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I will go way out of my way to get it fixed without a shipping. My most recent purchase had some screws that held it together sheared off on delivery. The manufacturer wanted the gun back, and I said no, send me a freaking set of screws for 25cent stamp. I put them in and its fine. A few years back a new 1911 had its extractor blowout after like 2 range trips, same thing, they wanted it back, I said no, send the darn replacement and with google's help I got the new one in myself.

All you are doing when you ship a gun is making an anti-gunner happy. They made the laws so that you have to overnight it, and you probably better insure it cause they stamp it firearm and lightfingered employees exist. What I saved on the 2 above would probably buy a third gun! My way, the gun company does not pay, I don't pay, no one gets stuck with a totally bogus huge shipping bill -- which I feel has been done intentionally as another attack on guns to make owners and makers (more them than buyers usually) suffer.

Now, there are some malfunctions you can't fix, clearly. In that case, everyone loses, but keep those to the bare minimum. Most gun problems I have experienced in my life can be fixed with a part and a few min swearing at it when putting the new one in.

LGS shipping works too, but its still a chunk of change if the part can be sent in an envelope for under a buck.
Willful ignorance works too, though its risky. I admit to at least once sending back a stripped gun as misc. parts via slow, cheap delivery. But they check stuff more carefully now. My justification on that one was that even if some thug stole it, they could not make it work, it was too messed up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have sent guns in three times and if it is under warranty I would ask them to send you a shipping label. Ruger, Taurus and Beretta all did this on their dime.
If you buy from Academy they will ship the gun back to the manufacturer. Probably other gun stores will do this.
Although you need to declare that it is a firearm to the shipper do not put that on the box.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I sent a comment from another forum about a member's experience sending a gun back to Charter Arms...... to their customer service email and they replied back that they are sending me a box with a Fed Ex return label on it. I figured they'd just send a return label but if they want to send a box I guess that's OK. Just seems kind of weird. Any rate, back to Charter Arms it will go. We shall se how it goes!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
FEDEX policy is that firearms must be shipped by air. It doesn't say next day air. If you drop your pre-packaged firearm off at the facility, they will try to tell you that it must go next day for about $70.00. You can ship three day select without violating their policy for abut half of that. If you don't feel like arguing with the counter help, open an account with FEDEX, print your own label, and drop the package off at the facility.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
FEDEX policy is that firearms must be shipped by air. It doesn't say next day air. If you drop your pre-packaged firearm off at the facility, they will try to tell you that it must go next day for about $70.00. You can ship three day select without violating their policy for abut half of that. If you don't feel like arguing with the counter help, open an account with FEDEX, print your own label, and drop the package off at the facility.
Federal Law dictates that you MUST tell the private shipper that the package contains a gun (but prohibits the label from indicating such). If the corporate shipper knows it contains a gun then they can apply whatever "policy" they want to it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
FWIW, I sent my Ruger SR22 back to the mothership on yesterday (Friday) because the barrel's rifling was all goofed up somehow. Called Ruger, they kindly emailed me a FedEx return label and gave me instructions on how to package it, I stopped by the local Office Max, plopped the unloaded gun (inside the original box, with one mag, and with a copy of the return authorization form inside, as instructed) inside of a flat Medium size box, sealed it, taped the return label printout onto the outside, made sure I got a receipt with a tracking number, aaaaaand ... now I wait. :)

Ruger says 2 days for shipment, about 3 to 5 days to work on it, then another 2 for it to return, whereupon it will be shipped right to my front door (as long as someone 21 or older is present to sign for it). So about 2 weeks or so. We shall see...

·
Grand Poobah
2,256 Posts
My local gun dealer got upset that a person sent a handgun thru the Brown van guys.
I hate it when a dealer opened my package, when he knew it contained a gun and commenced to dry firing it right in front of me. Never the less I did not use him any more for receiving my purchases.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Got my SR22 back today. Sent it out on August 8th, they only took a day to replace the barrel and ejector and test-fire it with 30 rounds of CCI, and I got it back today (August 18th), so just a bit over two weeks. Pretty quick turnaround. Now let's see if it hold up better than the original barrel...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need help choosing a weapon for self-defense. We went to several platforms and analyzed many options but could not decide on a specific model. Meow's friends suggested a revolver on the platform https://bulkmunitions.com/is-a-bullpup-rifle-worth-the-investment, but I don't like the idea of a weapon with a drum. I thought that at this forum, I would find someone with a lot of experience in this field who could help me choose a gun. I don't understand which pistols are more effective in this area, so I would like to help a little with this problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I need help choosing a weapon for self-defense. We went to several platforms and analyzed many options but could not decide on a specific model. Meow's friends suggested a revolver on the platform https://bulkmunitions.com/is-a-bullpup-rifle-worth-the-investment, but I don't like the idea of a weapon with a drum. I thought that at this forum, I would find someone with a lot of experience in this field who could help me choose a gun. I don't understand which pistols are more effective in this area, so I would like to help a little with this problem.
Welcome to the forum. Your post is probably in the wrong thread. You could have done a search for existing threads with your question or you could have started a new thread.

Trying to recommend a carry gun for someone without knowing a whole bunch more than you put in your post should never be attempted. Go to a gun range and on their advice rent some different guns and make your own decision. BTW - A revolver might be the best choice for you as a beginner. It’s easier to operate (fewer controls) and generally more reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've sent back a PMR 30 to Kel Tec and a Wilson Combat to Wilson. In both cases I got a work order number and a lab el to downloaded for a downloadable slip (Both I believe were UPS). I wrapped and boxed each (at different times) dropped them off at UPS and got them back in a timely matter. If you own the gun already I believe you do not have to go through an FFL dealer. Call Kel Tec.

·
Registered
71 Posts
bit late i know, but a private individual can fully and legally ship a firearm to an FFL or the to manufacturer. A private individual cannot ship one to another non-FFL holder, obviously.
I shipped my KSG back, used fedex, didn't declare, because you do not have to. Then I received it directly back from the manufacturer. An adult 21 years had to sign upon receiving it back US CODE: (18.922a2A)

the laws state specifically:

18 U.S. Code § 922 a(2)(A) "this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; "

·
Registered
71 Posts
Federal Law dictates that you MUST tell the private shipper that the package contains a gun (but prohibits the label from indicating such). If the corporate shipper knows it contains a gun then they can apply whatever "policy" they want to it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I shipped my KSG back, used fedex, didn't declare, because you do not have to.
Yes, you do. If true, you broke the law.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.​
In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.​
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]​

the laws state specifically:

18 U.S. Code § 922 a(2)(A) "this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; ".
Wrong subsection. Read this one.

18 U.S.C. 922(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts