Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Further work including prize distribution will have to wait due to a family emergency. I will be back in S.A. NLT Sunday, so next week I should be able to wrap things up.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
I'm disappointed I didn't enter this year. I tried to get some KTOG Postal Match shooting done at the Spring Kentucky Kel-Tec Konvention (K[sup]3[/sup]), but we were too busy shooting all those fun guns. It seemed like a good idea, but in retrospect maybe not. We need an event that is EXCLUSIVELY shooting the postal match.

I met another KTOG member another day specifically to shoot the postal match, but I had some equipment problems that could have been eliminated if I had a couple of prior practice runs. :(

I'm working on loads and some outrageous custom equipment for accurate shooting, some of which will even be illegal in the unlimited class, but most of it will be OK. I'll be gunning for the PLR and SUB unlimited classes next year.

And 3wb, yes I am already working on some accurate loads. Based on my sorry performance this year, I'd better start now if I want to post a decent score next year. There may not have been a lot of entries, but the competition looks fierce. Those were some impressive scores.

I think a lot of people shot but decided they wouldn't be competitive and didn't send in their targets. No since paying to humiliate yourself. :D

I should have paid to humiliate myself this year.

I'll compete next year for sure! I hope there will be an RFB class.

Thanks for the work TxCajun. I bet this will take off next year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
L4E Be looking for ya ta get your score posted and how ya did it.
Been thinkin on a way ta rest the buttstock so's it will slide on the bags.
Maybe next year the use of a bench style rest will be allowed. Not talking about one that clamps the gun to it like the old rail guns or the sleds. Just an adjustable height/level rest.
Look forward to your post's on your workup's on so many things and your knowledge is enlightening.
3WB,L4E........ It's a challenge I look forward to.
>>>>> NEXT YEAR<<<<<

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
scamp_daddy said:
Been thinkin on a way ta rest the buttstock so's it will slide on the bags.
 Maybe next year the use of a bench style rest will be allowed. Not talking about one that clamps the gun to it like the old rail guns or the sleds. Just an adjustable height/level rest.
 Look forward to your post's on your workup's on so many things and your knowledge is enlightening.
  3WB,L4E........ It's a challenge I look forward to.
              >>>>> NEXT YEAR<<<<<
AHA!! The cat's out of the bag! I will allow that I used 2 sandbags for front support, and the iron sights hurt me somewhat. S-D, bench rests were legal in open class as long as you had the stock pulled into your shoulder. I won't go quite that far, because as far as I'm concerned it then becomes the weapon more than the shooter. Just my opinion, and I won't hold it against anyone else who needs that crutch( :p ). But I'll also admit I'll be using a scope next match too!

;D ;) :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Due to the wording of the match no benchrest device was used and the stock resting against the shoulder was not violated. Fact of the matter was I used two sand/bean bags one for the front forearm and one below the magazine. The one below the magazine was utilized by holding the grip with the thumb,index,and second fingers and using the heel of the hand against the bag. Not the perfect hold but it worked.
You mean I could have used the "rest"?

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
scamp_daddy said:
  Due to the wording of the match no benchrest device was used and the stock resting against the shoulder was not violated. Fact of the matter was I used two sand/bean bags one for the front forearm and one below the magazine. The one below the magazine was utilized by holding the grip with the thumb,index,and second fingers and using the heel of the hand against the bag. Not the perfect hold but it worked.
 You mean I could have used the "rest"?
And you were absolutely right. I just re-read the rules again, and never noticed the exclusion of a "rest". I guess I just keyed on the shoulder and trigger emphasis. I would think you could have used your 2nd hand under the pistol grip as an additional support in that area though. We have a year to tweak the rules now. I'm just glad we got this one in successfully (excluding of course the wussies who didn't send in sheets!), and I look forward to next year.

;D

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
3wbdriver said:
I guess I just keyed on the shoulder and trigger emphasis. I would think you could have used your 2nd hand under the pistol grip as an additional support in that area though.
That was my understanding of the rules too, but we were probably remembering some of the online discussion instead of the actual rules. I thought I remembered the unlimited class allowing bipod-like devices to support the forend, but the shooter had to support the back and shoulder the weapon (no rifle rests or sleds).

...excluding of course the wussies who didn't send in sheets!
Come on man, I feel bad enough already. :D

I look forward to next year.
Me too!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Never occurred to me that "The stock resting against the shoulder" meant supported by the shoulder only. I've never competed in bench rest type shooting but work up loads for my hunting rifles pre-season. Usually always have two points of contact with the bags and rifle rested lightly against the shoulder.
Any who, I'm sure the rules will get hammered out before we get to next year.
That's "POSTAL MATCH 2008"!!!!!!!!
(Might depend of who's President)

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
I hope to eventually get a Lead sled for the same reason you cited. I did pick up a small tripod with sand bag support last week for front support until I can afford the big daddy. My primary reason for wanting the Lead sled is so I can zero my optics with minimal "trigger guy" issues. That way I can only blame myself for any misses.

:)

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
It's not a requirement for membership. I just thought it would be a fun way to wait for the next Postal. And maybe I can improve enough to give you a run next year.................

;D

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
3wbdriver said:
Actually I just re-read the rules, and you do address tie breakers in there.  Have you tried that method yet?:D
And so I did.  I have measured the groups.  What I did was first measure the 5 yd target, then the 10 yd target, and finally, add the two together.

In the case of the two ties, they have been broken:

Big Pistol:
1st Place = Zeke with a 3 inch total group.
2nd place = CHWIII with a 3 6/16 inch total group.

Little Pistol:

3rd Place = W2 with a 5 6/16 inch total group
4th Place = Brewster with a 6 inch total group

I will adjust the results on the 1st page of this thread.

Yesterday, I picked up some boxes from the Post Office.  The good news is that EVERYONE wins.  Because there were relatively few entries this year, I can send a participation prize to ALL.  

Everyone will get a Kel-tec logo travel mug and the nice bullet puzzles described like this in the KT Store:

Kel-Tec 15-Year anniversary Bullet Puzzle.

Machined from solid brass and engraved with the Kel-Tec Logo. Includes 6 pieces and instructions for assembly. The solid brass bullets are the size of the 5.56mm NATO round, but should not be used in a firearm.
NOTE: This is unfinished brass and it will tarnish with age.  $34.99

First place winners in the Big and Little pistol matches will get holsters from K&D.  I will notify Kevin and let him take it from there.  2nd place will likely be a magazine or more and 3rd place probably a belt clip or some such.

Subbie winners will get some goodies from L4E and I will notify him as well.

Procall, the only PLR entrant will get some accessories for his gun.  BTW, Procall, I think I sent you a PM some time back inquiring about what accessories you have/need.  Please respond via PM.

ALL first place winners will also get some very nice plaques donated by Sprinter1.

I have quite a few things left over.  I have them in an ice chest in my garage for next year.  And now you know why I didn't use my home address.   ;D

Kudos to all who played and I hope next year is even better.  As I said somewhere else, perhaps next time we'll hold it in the summer and give folks a chance to organize some local shoots where more can participate.  I'll try to get this stuff out in a day or so.  
Thank you for flying KTOG.   8)

Results Updated on page 1:
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2507;action=display;num=1182145440;start=0#0

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
CHW111 said:
Txc , I thank you for putting this on,hope all is well with you and your family. I'll be looking forward too the next one,IT HAS BEEN FUN.  8)      

P S Congrats to Zeke
Congrats to you to! You have a fine P3 holster coming, along with some other goodies.

rjhauser said:
hopefully next year i will be healed enough to participate...

nice job Tx.
Thanks RJ. I sure hope next year finds you in the best of health and able to show these guys a thing or two. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Thanks for the match TxC.  And you didn't miss anything this weekend.  KTC and I were both no-shows anyway, for varying reasons.  Hope you can make it next month.

;D

And my missing mag fell out of my ammo box while I was packing for the match. ;)

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
3wbdriver said:
And my missing mag fell out of my ammo box while I was packing for the match.   ;)
Ha! Jason's wife found his in his underwear drawer. :eek:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts