Results of Lazy Owner "Test"

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by hickory, Aug 13, 2009.

1. hickory

hickory New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    I conducted a Lazy Owner "Test". I carried my P3AT in a holster in a fanny pack for about two years, about 50% of days, pack being shared with wallet and pager. I think I may have sprayed oil in it once in that time. Took it to the range (finally) the other day, and shot a box of 50 win clean lead-free ball ammo required by the range. No lube applied before shooting, to replicate the need to fire unexpectedly.

The result: two failures to eject, four light strikes, and the take-down pin started to work its way out.

I know this is far from a scientific test, but I thought it may represent some real-world situations other than my own. I had hoped for a little better performance tho. FYI, I have done a light 'fluff and buff" by hand with fine grit sandpaper.

OK, I'll brace myself for much abuse, free advice, etc.

2. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Was the gun in either a separate pocket from everything else you carry, or in a holster of some type so that the trigger was covered? An unprotected trigger would be my only safety worry.

As far as your results go, I'm betting that your gun had a good amount of lint/dirt/gunk built up in the nooks and crannies. That probably contributed to your malfunctions. What you should have done was strip and clean the gun after firing the first 50 rounds and then see what your results were. If you are comfortable with 6 malfunctions out of 50, then more power to you. Go with what works for you. But I'm betting that if you cleaned your gun every three to four months, you'd see a big reduction in malfunctions. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a 10%+ chance of failure.

Otherwise, thanks for the report.

3. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    I feel you need to shoot your gun a little more. You might want to add a little grease to the rails too.

4. hickory

hickory New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks. The holster does protect the trigger, and is not separated from the wallet etc. I don't carry w a round in the chamber. I've seen it called "Israeli carry" I believe. I know its a bit slower but I practice drawing and racking the slide. I'm not at all satisfied with 6 failures out of 50, but know that I (probably) have no one except the 'lazy owner' to blame.

Point well taken about cleaning at least every three months, and greasing the rails. I don't know how to get to the firing pin area tho, to address the light strikes, looks like removing a roll pin w a punch is needed (?)

I'd like to shoot more, but find it hard to get away for half a day, what with children and the closest National Forest shooting area over an hour away. (I know, excuses....) And that range trip cost me $58! But I got to rent a Glock 26 (very nice) and the range master even let me try his Kahr PM 9. I do get to practice with BB and pellet in the basement much more often.

5. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks for the report. I just got done with my break-in and now carry my P3 everywhere. I finally restocked my .380 ammo and figure I'll shoot both mags once a month then a clean and lube. Should I shoot more or less or would that be a good routine? any opinions appericated.

6. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Just a thought - if you are carrying it where it is exposed to lint, dust, etc. the oil or grease could be getting full of dirt. That could be your porblem - amoungst other things. :-?
    There is the old possisbility of limp wristing? :-?

7. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I doubt you practice much if you carry a pistol for 2 years, w/o cleaning or shooting.  BTW, you're 'light strikes' are more than likely not allowing the trigger to reset... you'd know that if you shot it more than every couple years.   Do us all a favor, Sell it and get the G26.