Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’ll be my first suppressor. I have little in-person experience with them, but I have been learning about them for a few years in preparation.

I have two rifles I want to suppress: the RDB-S and my hunting rifle, a Ruger Gunsight Scout in .308. I’m currently focusing on the RDB but if I can find one to swap between them that’s saving time money and hassle.

I have no plans nor intentions to do mag dumps or long range sessions without cooling time, so full auto ratings and/or barrel length minimums don’t matter. I actually consider designs focusing on those capabilities as detriments since they always result in weight increases I don’t need or want.

My priorities are light weight and decibel reduction, and I consider 16oz x 8” x 2” to be the maximum acceptable dimensions (obviously the ideal one would be well within those dimensions, but I’m fine approaching any of the three if it’s justified).

So, help me out.

I haven’t found a website that lists suppressors searchable by the metrics I’m focusing on, so if you know of one I’d be grateful. If you suggest an option, please include measurements and weights with/without mounting devices etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I went with an AAC 7.62-SD for my RDB and my RFB. Have been happy ever since. I have used it on 22lr, 22mag, 224 Valkyrie, 6.8 spc, 7.62x39 , 7mm, 300 blackout, 300wm and 308win.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with an AAC 7.62-SD for my RDB and my RFB. Have been happy ever since.
Is it exceptionally quiet?

23oz and 9” are disqualifying for me unless it takes both down to exceptional db levels...

Edit: MAC has a video of it getting an average 145db on a 7.62 bolt gun.
I guess I’ll consider that the baseline...

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I will not say I have the best ears but have not had to wear ear plugs in 3 years. I believethey rate it at 30db. On 300 bo yes all the rest like a 22lr.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will not say I have the best ears but have not had to wear ear plugs in 3 years.
I do appreciate your help. The size and weight are excessive compared to other options I’ve researched, and the 30 cal DB performance I’m seeing aren’t exceptional. MAC didn’t test that one on 5.56 in his video for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I am sorry it does not meet your satisfaction, as of MAC, I have no idea who that is. The statement I made about the sound of a 22 was referring to the larger calibers and not to the 22lr suppressed or 22mag. I how found that it meets my satisfaction and do not plan on speeding another $800.00 to $1000.00 on another suppressor, that under this new cabinet, I see them trying to outlaw them because of their ignorance thinking that every firearm they are used on is silenced. That's Hollywood for you. I love going hunting and not having to wear ear plugs. If I do purchase another it will be a 45cal, so it will fit everything of that cal and under.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use a Griffin Optimus. It'll work with everything from 22lr to 300WM as well as 9mm.

It's hearing safe on an 18" barreled 308 shooting 168gr SMKs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Now is not the time to buy anything AAC. They were part of the Remington bankruptcy and the company is no more, at least currently. I waited a couple months for a repair on my 762SDN-6 and received it back, unrepaired, with a note telling me I was S.O.L. on a repair.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The OSS offerings have been on my list of options since I started looking a couple of years ago. They’re on the heavier side of things due to their focus on full auto durability.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The OSS offerings have been on my list of options since I started looking a couple of years ago. They’re on the heavier side of things due to their focus on full auto durability.
They also work on alot of 308 guns (which tend to be picky about cans). On the RDB..I havent heard of anything not working.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the SilencerCo Omega. Pretty light at 14 ounces and about 7" long. I use it on my RDB, RFB, a number of AR's and bolt actions. I really like it, and the ASR mounts are really well made and go on sale frequently.

There is a direct thread option as well, but I've never used it. Also, I would not recommend shooting any rimfire through it. Rimfire ammo can leave lead behind and it's a pain to clean because it doesn't fully disassemble. Same goes for wolf/brown bear/silver bear ammo - it's extremely dirty. Last time I shot a couple of mags of silver bear through my RFB, it left a thick crusty grey/brown residue in the blast chamber. Next range trip, and did a couple of mag dumps with my reloads to incinerate that crap out. Never using that junk again through a suppressor.

Reactions: Keiichi

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the SilencerCo Omega. Pretty light at 14 ounces and about 7" long. I use it on my RDB, RFB, a number of AR's and bolt actions. I really like it, and the ASR mounts are really well made and go on sale frequently.

There is a direct thread option as well, but I've never used it. Also, I would not recommend shooting any rimfire through it. Rimfire ammo can leave lead behind and it's a pain to clean because it doesn't fully disassemble. Same goes for wolf/brown bear/silver bear ammo - it's extremely dirty. Last time I shot a couple of mags of silver bear through my RFB, it left a thick crusty grey/brown residue in the blast chamber. Next range trip, and did a couple of mag dumps with my reloads to incinerate that crap out. Never using that junk again through a suppressor.
Nice, now that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Do you see a significant difference in suppression between the 5.56 and .308? Have you had to tune the gas at all on the RFB or RDB, and if so how much of a difference does it make?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice, now that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Do you see a significant difference in suppression between the 5.56 and .308? Have you had to tune the gas at all on the RFB or RDB, and if so how much of a difference does it make?

Thanks much.

Sure thing! I use the 308 Omega Anchor Brake endcap for all 308 and smaller calibers. 308 Win out of the RFB is slightly louder than 223 through the RDB. 308 Win out of my 20" Savage 110 bolt action is very quiet, compared to the RDB and RFB, but I presume that's to be expected. Also, bear in mind that I shoot with hearing protection even when suppressed, so you hear a lot of the guns action as well as the shot. The RDB, RFB and AR15's all sound very different.

I have to use the suppressor gas piston in the RFB because the standard piston can't bleed off enough gas, and it'll end up battering itself and break the top cover. If I want to shoot the gun unsuppressed, I have to change the original piston, or it won't cycle the action. Kind of a pain, but I keep the other piston in a block of foam wedged in the grip so I can't lose it.

On the RDB, there is a much wider range of adjustability in the gas system, so what I do is set up the gas system for no suppressor, and then I can run it suppressed or not. Because of the long stroke gas system, it does not beat up the gun, and it shows no signs of wear running it this way for many thousands of rounds (~90% of those suppressed).

Reactions: Keiichi
1 - 20 of 27 Posts