Requested new recoil springs from Kel-Tec, and...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Dreadnought, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    This is what "Bill" replied back,"

"That's not true, they are good for 5000-6000 rds."

Which was in response to me saying this, since I could not find a place to actually order the springs on the website:

"How can I order new recoil springs for my P3AT? I recently passed 2000 rounds thru my 2nd gen. P3AT and have been advised that the recoil springs are long overdue for replacement."

What say you all? :-/

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: Requested new recoil springs from Kel-Tec, and

Did you ask for them for free or were you buying them?

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

I have heard of some people with that many rounds who have never changed recoil springs but I wouldn't go that long. Just call KT service (not parts) and tell them you need a new set of recoil springs. You don't need to volunteer information or ask for opinions. ;)

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

I was purposefully vague. The above is exactly what I asked them (via their website contact form).

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

10-4. Wilco. ;)

6. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008

Just got my springs and guide rod from Bill. It took about 4 days. Mentioned to him that I had a slightly deformed guide rod and he asked no further questions.

7. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

I was purposefully vague. The above is exactly what I asked them (via their website contact form).[/quote]
    Purposely vague? You told them exactly how many rounds you had on the springs and said you heard they were long overdue for replacement. ;) :)

Wolff recommends 3000-5000 rounds pending inspecition, some people say 2000, some say 1000 if you don't shoot it very often. [highlight]See post from 2PP below.[/highlight]

I lean toward 3000 as long as things are still working but this is my first dual spring gun so we'll see how it goes.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005

This from Toby, a KT gunsmith:

Packer.

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Thanks 2PP ... you beat me here

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

not too sure if toby is a KT gunsmith though, 2PP. I know he is an employee, but has he ever fessed up to being a 'smith?

we would not want to impart false information

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005

Hi rj!  I assume he is a gunsmith since he repaired one of my PF9s and contacted me about keeping my custom grip. He also admitted to test firing it AFTER the repair. I'm pretty sure that only smiths repair guns at KT. But if not a smith, then he must be an engineer. I think he developed the PLR-22.

Packer.

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Hmm, an engineer?  I thought he just did PR and fun stuff like the Shot Show, making videos with George, hanging out on KTOG and attending KTOG local shoots.  You mean he has a real job too?  :D

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

As much as you can call:

A real job!

-Scott

14. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

I was purposefully vague. The above is exactly what I asked them (via their website contact form).[/quote]
    Purposely vague? You told them exactly how many rounds you had on the springs and said you heard they were long overdue for replacement. ;) :)[/quote]

Please re-read the very portion of my words that you chose to chide unnecessarily. The question was whether or not I asked for them for free or whether I said I wanted to buy them. On that one point, and only that point, the point for which I supplied the answer to, I was vague. Vague means that I was ambiguous, did not offer one way or the other, did not suggest one way or the other, did not state a preference, did not reveal my intentions, etc.

And I did not tell them "exactly" how many rounds I have shot. I gave them an estimate. This is a small point I am making here, but the point is "words mean things" and we should choose them with that understanding in mind, especially when supposedly quoting others' words. Furthermore, I did not tell them that I had "heard" that I needed new springs, I told them I had been "advised", which implies that someone whom I believed credible had made the suggestion, not just some know-nothing on a forum talking parakeets where I incidentally brought up Kel-Tec pocket pistols and said parakeet-poster told me I needed new springs. Your "version" of my email to Kel-Tec gives my words a distinctly elementary odor that the actual wording did not possess. And that is not proper, entertaining nor is it what I have come to expect on this forum.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. However, school-yard semantic analysis and silly comments taking others' words out of context is not necessary or appreciated. I do not choose my words randomly nor do I write a post and submit it as quickly as I have finished typing it. I do check it for errors and contextual mistakes.

;) :) And do notice how the smilies and winks at the end do not seem to take the edge off of a sharp reply. Such "conveniences" are no replacement for common kindness and general good manners.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Packer.[/quote]

I wonder why the discrepancy between this admonition and what Bill told me in his email reply?

16. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

It is subjective. It depends on ammo, maintenance, etc. I have heard the 2000 round figure myself. I have also heard 1000 rounds. I have heard of folks who have never changed them in several thousand rounds, and then there is Wilson, who changes them like socks. :)

17. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Didn't mean to touch a button there, apologies for offending you.

However, I was keying in on the specific response you quoted from KT which was all about how many rounds the springs were good for and nothing about whether you should pay for them or not or even ba able to order them. The idea that you could not get the springs had not even crossed my mind, it seemed to me, as it obviously seemed to Bill, that you had a question about the longevity of the springs. Depending on how you read the FAQ from Wolff there are two answers but KTWM has spoken and said 1000.

Anyway, it was vague to me exactly which part of your question to KT was vague and I guess I should now assume you were "advised" by some other means than verbal.

Take care, good luck with your springs.

18. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005