Report on P3AT in IDPA match today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johnfrommd, Oct 19, 2008.

1. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I used my 2nd Gen P3AT in an IDPA match today. 140 rounds, max range 30ft, some head shot requirements at 7 yds.

My pistol ran like a champ and only had one FTF due to a reload that had a bulge in it. I have since bought a Lee Factory crimp die and probably won't have any more of those. I was amazed how fast and accurate I could shoot this little gun. I put a dab of orage paint on the front sight but I was really point shooting for the most part. I only missed with one shot and that was on a thirty foot strong hand only stage. On most of my targets, the two rounds would be within an inch of each other even though the group might not be centered on the target. That is strictley the gun doing that as all the targets had tee shirts and we were just pointing at the center of mass.

I did not detect any difference in shooting with the seven round mag vs the six round mag. I assume my finger was curling under the gun but I never actually thought about it. I was switching between each of the mags and constantly and they all worked great.

I always carry this pistol in a pants pocket holster. This is the first time I used a belt holster and it did have some quirks. The holster is a Fobus for second gen pistols. The problem with it is that it and the paddle are very small. This allowed the holster to cant into my body at the top and I could not pull straight up. This resulted in some slow, hung up draws.

I used 3 grains of WW231 behind a 95gn FMJ bullet for this shoot and it worked great. The *****, as with all blow backs, is finding the brass!

It was a great day and gave me even more confidance in my P3AT.

Regards,

John ;)

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I've seen a few folks shoot P11s and Pf9s in IDPA, but not many with a P3AT. Good shooting! :cool:

3. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Since I am new to this, I didn't even know you could shoot anything smaller than a 9mm at an IDPA meet. The website I looked at only listed 9mm thru 45.

4. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I shot in the BUG gun category. This category requires .32 cal or larger. The bad thing about how they catagorize BUG guns is that I shot against people shooting Glock 26's, S&W Model 19's and others which they also consider BUG guns.

Go figure.

John

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Definetly some good shooting.. :)

John

6. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

Nice shooting! I don't think it is the easiest gun to shoot, but with the right form and technique I think it is surprisingly accurate for it's size.

7. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I agree, it is very accurate. The amazing thing is that I picked the load out of a load book and never got a chance to test it first. It felt milder than factory and the brass didn't fly that far away but it wasn't a squib load.

Our club has been adding the BUG class to our IDPA shoots at least once a quarter. That gives people a chance to shoot their pocket pistols in some realistic scenerios. :cool:

When they allow BUG guns to compete in a standard IDPA shoot, reloads are on the clock. This really shows you where and where not to keep your spare magazines. Tight jeans and mags make for slow stage times. :'(

Regards,

John ;)

8. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I have more respect for people that actually shoot IDPA with the pistol they really carry instead of the tricked out race pistol crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with tricked out race pistols, just that they aren't realistic for 'defensive' shooting.