Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
1,434 Posts
I signed it and as much as I would like for it to happen, it may be asking too much, too fast, and could even spook a lot of gun owners. Freedom can be scary, and rapid change uncomfortable. But hey, the only good gun laws are those that increase the ability of law-abiding citizens to obtain, possess, carry and responsibly use whatever arms we want, configured however we want. When you think about it, irresponsible gun use is already covered by laws that are not even specific to guns, such as those against murder, assault, battery, threatening, reckless behavior, endangerment, vandalism, noise, and so on.

The Hearing Protection Act is a start. Another good intermediate step would be to repeal the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. The only thing this amendment "protects" me from is being able to buy a current-production machine gun within the NFA. I can buy an old one, but they typically run several tens of thousands of dollars for the good ones (Thompsons, M-16s, M-14s, BARs, AKs, etc.) and several thousand for the crummy stuff. There's no reason, other than this law, for a true select-fire M4, just like issued to the military, to cost any more than a semi-auto lookalike. But there are also a lot of rich and powerful people who see transferable machine guns as investments, investments that will lose a lot of value if I can go buy a new one for $1000 plus the NFA tax stamp. They won't be happy about that at all.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
while I don't disagree with continuing to try to whittle around the edges, the right thing to do is rip out the root of the problem.

Gun owners spooked by actually obeying the constitution? probably pretending to be gun owners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.