Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Removing your Armalaser: pin spin

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  james__12345 
#1 ·
Yesterday I decided to change my Armalaser batteries.  For some reason (perspiration?) on this occasion the screw for the bottom pin just below the trigger guard would not come loose. This resulted in the pin just turning in the Zytel housing. I considered filing a small screw slot on the head of the pin but it was too shallow to allow a deep enough slot. My other option was to grind the head of the screw off and order a new pin and screw from Armalaser.  I did come up with another solution. I found a small washer with a hole slightly smaller than the head of the pin and an outside diameter that would extend past the outside of the Armalaser casing. After cleaning all surfaces with rubbing alcohol, I used a gel type (gap filling) superglue to glue the washer to the top of the pin and to the Armalaser housing. I let the glue set overnight and removed the screw the next morning. I took a pair of pliers and popped the washer off the housing and then cleaned the superglue off the housing with acetone.

I think I will try a small amount of superglue on the body of the pin to prevent this in the future.

See less See more
#3 ·
I cut slots in the heads with a hacksaw. Use a small flathead screwdriver to keep them from spinning.

Bobo

#5 ·
Wow, ran into the same problem several weeks ago. I assumed it was because I had maybe used to much Loc-Tite. Anyway, my solution was to clamp the gun and ArmaLaser down on a rubber pad. There was just enough friction to hold the head so that I could unscrew with the allen wrench. Shape of the head didn't help any but the job got done. Really do need a better way.

Take care...

#6 ·
Hasn't happened to me yet, but thanks for the warning!

Your solution of putting a dab of super-glue on the pin sounds right to me. Maybe run a cotton swab with acetone through the zytel pin hole before inserting the pin.

Remember to remove your finger quick, or the squished out glue will sure stick you fast to the housing. Lesson learned from using super glue on other zytel materials :-[

#7 ·
wheelguy,

"Remember to remove your finger quick, or the squished out glue will sure stick you fast to the housing. Lesson learned from using super glue on other zytel materials"

I learned that lesson several years ago. I was superglueing wear shims onto a swing fixture of a tool grinder. Unbeknownst to me while I was holding a shim in place waiting for the glue to set excess glue had seeped from under the shim and very thoroughly glued my thumb to this 300 pound cast iron tool grinder. I was in the shop alone and had to drag the tool grinder and bench to which it was bolted to a cabinet across the room where the acetone is kept. :)

#9 ·
mtheo51 said:
wheelguy,

"Remember to remove your finger quick, or the squished out glue will sure stick you fast to the housing. Lesson learned from using super glue on other zytel materials"

I learned that lesson several years ago. I was superglueing wear shims onto a swing fixture of a tool grinder. Unbeknownst to me while I was holding a shim in place waiting for the glue to set excess glue had seeped from under the shim and very thoroughly glued my thumb to this 300 pound cast iron tool grinder. I was in the shop alone and had to drag the tool grinder and bench to which it was bolted to a cabinet across the room where the acetone is kept.  :)
Ha - I can clearly imagine that happening  :D. Your solution of using Acetone was a more intelligent choice than mine of just ripping my finger prints off  :-[

jlw - Thanks for the note on the new design! Armalaser has been very good about keeping their product updated - another reason why I like them.

#10 ·
As mentioned above, all ArmaLasers leaving the factory have the new-style slotted pins that solve the ''pin spin'' issue.  This is a free update to all ArmaLaser owners, BTW.  Just please call us at 954-937-6054 or email customercare@armalaser.com and we'll be happy to mail a set out to you at no charge.

It's been a while since the switch to the new pin so you may have a unit that is a few years old.  There is one way to loosen up a stubborn old pin and that will require a helper.  Have someone grab both sides of the left and right housings with their left and right hands.  Then, you can try and loosen the screws with the hex key (or screwdriver if using the phillips head screws) while they are pulling the halves apart at the same time.  This does tend to work more times than not.  If you continue to have an issue, why don't you give us a call and we can talk you through some different ways as well.

Rick

#11 ·
I ran into the exact same problem the last time I went to change the batteries. I just emailed Rick about getting a replacement pin set. I had to grab the laser with one of those rubber non-slip jar openers and a large pair of pliers to hold the smooth end of the pin enough to get it loose. It was a real pain.

#12 ·
voigts said:
I ran into the exact same problem the last time I went to change the batteries. I just emailed Rick about getting a replacement pin set. I had to grab the laser with one of those rubber non-slip jar openers and a large pair of pliers to hold the smooth end of the pin enough to get it loose. It was a real pain.
Thanks you for posting. I used the "CustomerCare" link found on your home page, hope that'll do.

Take care...

#13 ·
Another question for you guys: When you change the batteries, do you have to re-zero the laser? Or does it hold zero?

I just recently purchased my armalaser and have it mounted and zeroed in (at the range.) Just wondered when it is time to change the batteries, will I have to go back to the range to make sure it is shooting spot on.

#14 ·
My no spin pin is on its way! Received this swift reply from ArmaLaser Customer Service...

"Hello Mr. Kiselewsky,

The slotted pins have been shipped to you. Please let us know if there is
anything else that we can help you with. Thank you."

Thank you ArmaLaser!!!!

G
#15 ·
Rutnut--You will need to re-zero. I do it in my house. Mine shoots to point of aim with the factory sights so I just pick a spot on a wall at an appropriate distance and adjust the laser beam to the same place as the point of aim. Works without wasting ammo.

#17 ·
Possumgravy said:
Rutnut--You will need to re-zero. I do it in my house. Mine shoots to point of aim with the factory sights so I just pick a spot on a wall at an appropriate distance and adjust the laser beam to the same place as the point of aim. Works without wasting ammo.

Would be nice to have a kind of "trap door" access to the batteries.

Take care...

#18 ·
armalaser said:
As mentioned above, all ArmaLasers leaving the factory have the new-style slotted pins that solve the ''pin spin'' issue.  This is a free update to all ArmaLaser owners, BTW.  Just please call us at 954-937-6054 or email customercare@armalaser.com and we'll be happy to mail a set out to you at no charge.

It's been a while since the switch to the new pin so you may have a unit that is a few years old.  There is one way to loosen up a stubborn old pin and that will require a helper.  Have someone grab both sides of the left and right housings with their left and right hands.  Then, you can try and loosen the screws with the hex key (or screwdriver if using the phillips head screws) while they are pulling the halves apart at the same time.  This does tend to work more times than not.  If you continue to have an issue, why don't you give us a call and we can talk you through some different ways as well.

Rick

Hi,

Got my new-style slotted pin in yesterday's mail (Fri. 12/04/2009). Will hold it aside until next time I remove my laser.

THANK YOU ARMALASER!!!  :)

Take care...

#19 ·
mtheo51 said:
wheelguy,

I learned that lesson several years ago. I was superglueing wear shims onto a swing fixture of a tool grinder. Unbeknownst to me while I was holding a shim in place waiting for the glue to set excess glue had seeped from under the shim and very thoroughly glued my thumb to this 300 pound cast iron tool grinder. I was in the shop alone and had to drag the tool grinder and bench to which it was bolted to a cabinet across the room where the acetone is kept.  :)
Never knew acetone would loosen superglue. Does it also work with the gel glue? or just the regular liquid glue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.