Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a solution for removing primer crimp.

Bought some once-fired 40 brass that has some Federal NT (non toxic) and Winchester NT (non toxic) head stamps. The primers are crimped in.

Easy to pop out, but not so easy to pop a new one in.

I figured the folks here on KTOG would have a reasonably priced solution?

happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used an RCBS swaging tool for a while, but found it's easier and faster to just use a deburring tool and give it around 8~10 twists.

It's completely safe as it just removes a little bit of brass where the crimp was and nothing more.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
you might be able to remove the crimp with a chamfer tool, if not then you would need to swage the primer pockets to get rid of the crimp.

lol just a little late in posting

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
On the 223 brass i've been chamfering them with a carbide bur in a drill. Gonna get a swage die, been looking at the rcbs pocket swager combo, midway has them for $29.99

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Listed in order of cheapest, and worstest ways.

1. Sharp pointy pocket knife blade.
2. Chamfer - deburring tool.
3. Lyman or other primer pocket reamer.
4. RCBS Swaging kit for your press.
5. Dillon or RCBS dedicated swaging tool.

I prefer swaging to reaming as you are not removing metal that needs to be there to support the primer.

rc

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely plan to get & try the RCBS Pocket Swager Combo.

happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely plan to get & try the RCBS Pocket Swager Combo.

happy shooting, dv

Good luck with that. I bought one a few years ago, it was factory defective for the small primer pocket adapter. Called Customer Support, they sent a new one out, it was also factory defective, called Customer Support again, this time they sent a good one.

I did around 10 primer pockets, packaged it up and put it into storage and went to the deburring tool from then on.

The reaming removes about as much metal as swaging rounds off, so the amount of loss of support of the primer is almost nothing and certainly not something to worry about.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, out of 500 cases I ended up with nine that had enough crimp that I couldn't re-prime. Interestingly, the crimp amount was not consistent so that some could be readily re-primed without any case modification.

I ended up using my chamfer/deburring tool without problem on the remaining nine.

Happy shooting, dv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts