Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys remove your assembly pins? I followed the picture using the rim on a .380 ACP casing, but when I did it this last time, it almost scratched the slide. I have the blued finish.

I end up having to hold back the slide so the narrower part leaves space for the .380 casing, but it's a pain every time. I definitely see where a slide stop would come in handy for disassembly.

Any tricks for getting the pin out? I must be doing something wrong b/c it's just not easy.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I have pulled the pin on blued P3AT and P32 with a brass case rim proably more times that I have shot it now and I don't see any marks from that. However, there is significant holster wear in the blue in other spots.

I just push the slide back 1/8" till i feel the force on the pin reduced by pulling out on the head with my finger nail.

Once the head feels a little free, and is out from the slide a few thousands, I force the case rim under, then push the bullet away from the pin so that the fulcrum point is the rim opposite the pin and it just comes out.

There is a recomendation that you press on the plastic frame around the pin as you remove it to keep from damaging the frame from the pin retaining spring.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
you can make disassembly difficult or easy , it depends on you.... you have to pull the slide back until there is clearance at the frame and the slide and the disassembly hole lines up. I usually start from the left side as you hold the gun by its grip to fire, I then insert my left thumb thru the trigger guard, grasp the slide and frame using the left hand and using my right hand pull the slide back to align the frame and the slide together at the correct place and tighten grip on my left hand to hold frame and slide together note there is a relief milled in the slide giving you room to work,  and....then use a bullet rim in right hand and pull straight out do not rock the bullet head against the frame just pull out, there is a small spring you have to overcome but it isnt difficult ........ it has been a while but think that will work ( edited after pic was posted ) thanks RAT 76

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Couple of things, You can push an object such as a cheap butane lighter, piece of wood, domino, etc., up thru the mag well to hold the slide back when you have it pulled all the way back.

Squeezing the grip next to the assembly pin is to keep the retaining spring for the pin from popping out of its pocket.

I use a case rim and pry, but I don't care if I leave a brass mark on the slide. Some use a thin screwdriver with the blade wrapped with tape to protect the finish.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I insert a Ruby Red eraser (similar idea to the lighter).
I then use a small, tape cover screwdriver to lift out the pin - while gently pushing down on the frame on either side of the pin.

wyo-man

·
Registered
47 Posts
SKILCZ said:
How do you guys remove your assembly pins? I followed the picture using the rim on a .380 ACP casing, but when I did it this last time, it almost scratched the slide. I have the blued finish.

I end up having to hold back the slide so the narrower part leaves space for the .380 casing, but it's a pain every time. I definitely see where a slide stop would come in handy for disassembly.

Any tricks for getting the pin out? I must be doing something wrong b/c it's just not easy.

Come on dude, its a Kel-Tec, not a Python. Whats a little brass on the slide? Use the thing, mine rolls around in my pocket, I toss is in my center console with all sorts of scratchy stuff in there. IMHO little dings on it give it character ;) I DO believe in taking care of my things, HOWEVER, I DO use them and dont try to put a pearl necklace on a pig ::)

See the analogy?

Click me for larger size!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Wilson, where's that pic? The one with the "F" word. :eek:

G

·
AFTER clearing gun of any rounds, live or dead...

I grab slide with thumb in front of trigger and hold slide back about 1/8 "  and with a cleaning patch under my tiny swiss army screwdriver, pop that sucker out.

I have sanded and smooth the pin so much, I can easily take it out like this.

Both of mine main pins are easy to pull apart.  My frame pins come out easily also.  I marked them with a small torx bit to know what side to push on, but I do  not need a block of wood or hammer to take the out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.