Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
9,946 Posts
I had no idea Remington owned Marlin....
I've heard comments from Marlin collectors who are careful to only buy Marlins that are "pre-Remington". It was widely reported on the internet that the Marlin quality went way south when Remington was manufacturing Marlin rifles.

From guru's list, it looks like Remington ammo will probably persist under Vista, so that's good news. Sierra bought Barnes Bullets? That's an interesting consolidation of competing brands. I like Hornady but also load Sierra and Barnes bullets. Barnes is a religion to some reloaders. I wonder if they'll see this merger the way Marlin fans saw the Remington buyout of Marlin?

The Remington bankruptcy has been proceeding for years, like a slow motion train wreck. I think there are some comments earlier in this thread dismissing Remington's woes as a temporary glitch, and the result of a fickle market, with Remington being too big to fail. Remington is one of many large iconic corporations that are doing badly. Boeing can't seem to do anything right lately.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remington has been shooting itself in the foot (pun intended) for at least a couple of decades. The 597 is a wonderful rifle. I have the 22wmr version. But the debacle of the 17HMR version killed the market for any version to succeed. When the 17 started exploding on shooters they offered $200 payment for returns when buyers had paid well over $500 to begin with. Nobody would make extended magazines or any mods because of the bad rap as sales fell. I still love my 597, though, even with the 8 round mags that would only hold 7.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Article says they may sell ammunition business separately from firearms.
The Remington ammo plant in Arkansas is about 8 miles from my house, and my neighbor down the road is a manager. He says they have too many military ammo contracts to stop production.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
I've heard comments from Marlin collectors who are careful to only buy Marlins that are "pre-Remington". It was widely reported on the internet that the Marlin quality went way south when Remington was manufacturing Marlin rifles.
Quality initially crashed. Remington slowly realized it and swapped out upper management, who had caused the problem, and quality eventually started climbing back up. But the reputational damage was already done.

Remington is one of many large iconic corporations that are doing badly. Boeing can't seem to do anything right lately.
Snot-nosed, high-fallute'n bozos in $5,000 suits bought up Remington and thought they knew how to run a gun company. Reduce costs, make everything cheaper, cut corners. It doesn't work. Tom Gresham just had a fun rant about it this last weekend on his show. He told a fun story about the Board. The snot-nosed guys were trying to roll out a new 1911 and were showing it off to each other, and apparently "holding it like it was a snake." Then they handed it off to a real gun guy, a competitive shooter, who field stripped it in front of them and told them "this is a good start; these are the things we need to change." They ignored him and had problems with that model of the 1911 which needed to be re-engineered and fixed.

These bozos don't know shooters or their products and, despite being told over and over again, believe that they can treat it just like bottle caps and shoelace aglets, disposable and expected to wear out soon and be replaced quickly. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
9,946 Posts
These bozos don't know shooters or their products and, despite being told over and over again, believe that they can treat it just like bottle caps and shoelace aglets, disposable and expected to wear out soon and be replaced quickly.
A friend and fellow gun guy sent me an email with the news about Remington's recent bankruptcy proceedings. He grew up in western Kentucky and mentioned that Remington had a plant in Mayfield but he didn't know what they produced there. Here's the slightly moderated email I just sent him that dovetails with your post regarding Remington's management problems and lack of firearms knowledge.

The Mayfield plant produced the Remington 597 rifle. Pretty good in 22 WMR or 22 LR but a disaster in 17 HMR which Hornady clearly advised was not for use in a blow back operated semi-auto, but Remington swapped the barrel and called it good. Everyone had case head separations. Remington royally [angered] their customers by offering a $200 trade-in on the 22 LR or 22 WMR version. Do the math. Remington sells you a $500 17 HMR rifle that doesn't cycle and is dangerous to shoot with no chance of it ever being usable. Your only option is to send the gun back in trade for a $200 voucher to use to buy a $500 .22 WMR or 22 LR rifle you don't want, or just throw the new rifle away. It's just another example of a weasel company with poor or nonexistent engineering trying to make a short term profit on their own ineptitude, at the obvious long term cost to their reputation.

Remington almost got me on the 17 HMR Model 597. When I was researching it before purchasing one, I read about the problems online just before the weasel trade-in recall. After that, I completely lost interest in any Remington firearms. The brand still had value in the hunting segment of the market but anyone who is a general firearms enthusiast with an internet connection was very soured on Remington after their 597 debacle... partly because a well known company like Remington would release such a turd of a product, but more because they didn't own their mistake and totally screwed their customers.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
A friend and fellow gun guy sent me an email with the news about Remington's recent bankruptcy proceedings. He grew up in western Kentucky and mentioned that Remington had a plant in Mayfield but he didn't know what they produced there. Here's the slightly moderated email I just sent him that dovetails with your post regarding Remington's management problems and lack of firearms knowledge.
I think that's why they went so far on the R51 replacements. I traded my Gen 1 R51, which kept dropping the mag on every round, for a NIB 1911R1, which was, at the time, a >200% value. But it took them forever to get to that point. They were stupidly tight-lipped about the R51 Gen 2 release. It hurt them. But eventually they offered a 100% retail price money back or the 1911.

It still didn't help. When the Gen 2 came out, and they work just fine, the internet was awash with D-list yootoob wannabes panning it for imagined failings. Feh!

Yeah, I definitely blame the people who were at the top. They got rid of 'em but not soon enough.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Liberty4Ever

·
Registered
146 Posts
One thing Remington ended up doing when there was such an uproar over the $200 offer is that they paid the shipping to send in the 17HMR model which they converted to 22WMR at no charge. The only reason that they offered this service is because their lawyers told them that the potential for lawsuit was enormous. My 22WMR is an original, not a conversion. The only problem I have with it is that it weighs almost as much as an M14.

·
Grand Poobah
1,357 Posts
JJE Capital Holdings is more widely known as Palmetto State Armory. I see they wound up with DPMS, among others. I have two .308 cal DPMS Gen II LR-10s, a "Hunter" with the lower receiver marked that it was from Minnesota, and a "Recon" with its lower receiver marked as being from Alabama. Some of you may have seen or shot them at one of the Phideaux shoots. Both have been accurate and reliable. They are an innovative design that I was hoping would become a new, widely-adopted standard for AR-10s just like the first generation DPMS LR-10 had. The Remington version of these was the R25 Gen II. I figured this couldn't hurt in establishing a new standard.

I remember reading an article in the August 2019 American Rifleman about the Springfield Saint .308, another proprietary design, and noticed that its specs sounded a lot like my Gen II DPMS rifles. I didn't realize that the DPMS rifles were not being made anymore. There apparently is indeed a market for a lightened, smaller, more AR-15 compatible AR-10. Perhaps PSA will see fit to revive the Gen II. PSA already makes a lot of DPMS Gen I-compatible rifles. I assume that this purchase includes DPMS's patents. DPMS put a lot of engineering effort into the Gen II, and added nice touches like rounded bolt lugs that help prevent the bolt from cracking, double ejectors, and supposedly, one of the toughest extractors ever made. I think PSA could compete head to head with Springfield in this arena. (I would also like to see my rifles cease to be orphans, so I can get repair parts, should they ever need them.)

I wish the Recon could talk, it apparently has a story. Even though I ordered it "new" online from a Cabelas in North Carolina, it came in a plain box and had some parts incorrectly installed or missing, most notably the ejection port cover, but also the magazines. The box was also marked "Ahlman's Gun Shop" up in Minnesota, which come to find out was an authorized repair center for these rifles. There is also a mismatch between the finish on the upper and lower receivers. I took delivery of the rifle at my FFL anyway. At the time, in mid 2016, this model was almost impossible to find. I called the DPMS number, and got Remington, but they put me through to the right person and when I gave them the serial number, the man I was speaking with said something to the effect of "Oh, THAT one." He didn't give me any details, but it sounds like this rifle got off to a rocky start. At any rate, over the next week or two, the missing parts, along with a couple of spare e-clips and springs, and a few magazines, turned up in my mailbox, and I installed them. Since then, the rifle has performed flawlessly.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
297 Posts
JJE Capital Holdings is more widely known as Palmetto State Armory.
This is good to hear. My first suppressor was an AAC, that is currently in for repair. Had I known AAC was owned by Remington when I bought it, I certainly would have gone with a different manufacturer. Since I'm (basically) tied to the can forever (not to mention the hundreds I've spent on muzzle devices), I'm glad to see that JJE is 2A supportive. After seeing the news of the fire sale over at Remington I googled JJE Capital Holdings and only read as far as investment firm, I figured I was up poo creek. Hopefully that turns out to not be the case.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
A lot of people are wondering what this means for their warranties.

I think that the warranties will be honored and the Remington brand will continue, just as a subsidiary of some other company (again).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
297 Posts
A lot of people are wondering what this means for their warranties.

I think that the warranties will be honored and the Remington brand will continue, just as a subsidiary of some other company (again).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I just emailed AAC about the status of my repair and was replied all warranty and manufacturing is on hold until the sale of the company is finalized. The CS rep said it could take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's how the Remington bankruptcy ended, with various parts auctioned off:
  • Vista Outdoor Inc. for its Lonoke ammunitions business and certain IP assets
  • Roundhill Group LLC for its non-Marlin firearms business
  • Sierra Bullets LLC for its Barnes ammunitions business
  • Sturm, Ruger, & Co. for its Marlin firearms business
  • JJE Capital Holdings LLC for DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands
  • Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. for Bushmaster brand and some related assets
  • Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. for Tapco brands
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/remington-auctioned-off-seven-bidders-015154516.html
Ruger got Marlin!?!?!? Happy days! Now maybe we will be able to get GOOD Marlins at decent prices again! Best news I've heard in a while! :yum: :):):):):):):)

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Ruger got Marlin!?!?!? Happy days! Now maybe we will be able to get GOOD Marlins at decent prices again! Best news I've heard in a while! 😋 :):):):):):):)
To be fair, Remington had dramatically improved on their QC and was turning out good products. But the reputational damage was already done.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

81 - 93 of 93 Posts