Remington UMC Ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Texas_Red, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Texas_Red

Texas_Red New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Stopped at a Wal-Mart yesterday and wonder of wonders, they had a 100ct box of Remington UMC 380 ammo. I grabbed it w/o a second thought. I assumed it was the 95gr FMJ stuff that I'd used in the past. But it turns out to be 88gr JHP, which I haven't seen before.

Do any of you guys have any familiarity with this round?

2. JB

JB Guest

Yep.  I carry it in my backup mag for my P3AT and, as it is pretty much as cheap as any .380 FMJ I have found, I sometimes use it for practice - especially right now as I found some at WalMart recently, bought 400 rounds of it and that is the only .380 ammo I have on hand, right now (except for the one mag of Federal HS that I carry in the gun.)  I like the stuff pretty well.  Functions well, seems to be accurate and (to my mind) would probably expand about as well as most HPs out of a short-barrelled .380.

3. Texas_Red

Texas_Red New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Thanks JB. Have you ever run any tests to check out its expansion? Pretty reasonably priced if the hollow point works decently.

4. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    good find. the wal marts in southeast tennessee are out of all pistol ammo. with none in sight. at this time 380 acp ammo is no where to be had.

5. JB

JB Guest

I don't have a good setup for reliable, scientific testing.  However, I have checked out tests done by other folks (there used to be links to .380 ammo tests in a post that was stickied at the top of this section but all the stickies are gone, right now - hopefully they will return.)

The bottom line is that many of the tests I have seen indicate that even some premium (read: expensive) types of ammo do not always reliably, completely expand when fired from the P3AT.  There are some claims that the barrel of the P3AT is simply too short and velocities too low to be able to always result in reliable expansion of hollowpoints.  Some HPs do seem to have done better than others, in certain test media.  However, and this is my opinion only, based on looking at various tests, I feel that the reason to carry hollowpoints in a P3AT has more to do with increasing the chance that they will expand than any real certainty that they will expand.  In other words, there is zero chance that standard FMJ will expand but there is at least some chance that any HP will expand - and if they don't, then they will behave much like a FMJ, so it's not like I am 'losing' anything by carrying HPs.  At the same time, I don't really see the point in spending more money on a premium round that may not completely and reliably expand, either.  With the Rem. UMC stuff, I can at least afford to practice with my carry ammo.  Personally, the reason I buy the Remington UMC stuff is that it is less expensive while still being a known, reliable, name brand, is usually readily available (the current ammo supply situation aside) and has a more 'rounded' nose than some HPs which I believe aids in reliable feeding.