Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the weekend at an area show. Must have been better things to do on the beach at North Padre cause the show was kinda slow all weekend. There were not alot of people bringing stuff in. It was the last show in Corpus Christi till the fall. So, there is gonna be a long dry spell for me.

Saw quite a few safe queens again. Mostly high dollar pistols and rifles were coming in at a slow rate. It was enough to keep from getting bored.

Didn't see anything cheap enough to buy till Sunday afternoon. Stopped this guy at the front door of the show before he got to anyone else. He had a double barrel that he said was an old Remington. It appared to be in 80% or beter condition except for a buttstock repair that had not been finished well. The Glue overflow was still on the stock. He said it was his grandfather's gun and his dadd had done the repair some years back. He had no use for the old 12 ga. He needed 2 bills for it to get some kinda CC handgun. I tried 150, but he stuck to 2 bills He said he should have no problem getting it for the old gun. I went ahead and gave him the 2 bills cause the other gunshow vultures were already gathering around us for a chance at it.

Best as I could tell it was a Model 1900 like he said by the serial #. It is a plain version of the earlier model 1894 hammrless double which was availale with more options or grades. It is a boxlock, double trigger, tang safety gun. The repair to the buttstock was done well, but it was fugly on the outside. I have since worked it down and started to add stome finish. I hope to keep it looking as is and not have to completely rerfinish the stock. The 28" barrels are steel. It also was made in damascus. Finish on the barrels is till really nice. No rust, shiney bores, tight action and lockup. Looks all original except for the buttplate.

If anyone has any other info on this model, feel free to add something. I am not very familiar with these old shotguns. All the others I saw that day were very rusty & missing pieces except for a Parter with damascus barrels and half the finish gone. That guy wanted 8 bills for that gun. It is similar to the Remington.

Here is a pic.

http://www.bersaforum.com/photo/remington-mod-1900-sxs-12-ga-425.html

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The Blue Book says there were almost 100,000 made between 1900 and 1910, in the 300,000 serial number range. They came in grades K, KD, KE and KED.

Sounds like you got another good deal. In 80% condition it goes for about $1,050.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Blue Book says there were almost 100,000 made between 1900 and 1910, in the 300,000 serial number range. They came in grades K, KD, KE and KED.

Sounds like you got another good deal. In 80% condition it goes for about $1,050.
Thanks Guru. I got the same infor from Fjestad's. This gun is at # 385,9XX, so it is pretty well down the run. The previous owner said it was made in 1910, but that seems a bit late for the number on it. Maybe a year earlier, but what the hell. It's old and it's in good shape.

Looked at some of the letter stampings, but not real close yet. It's smokeless, but I am not sure if I wanna shoot it. Might just cap off a couple of primers to see if the firing pins are working.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Try some of those short 12s that aguila makes maybe?
It should be fine, honestly. The ones that are dangerous to shoot are the wire-wound barrels.
Looked for the short Aquila rounds at the gunshow. None to be had. Anyway, I gauged the depth of the actual chamber using 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" rounds. The 3.5" would not close, but I expected that. I just marked on it with a marker all the way in and it had plenty of freebore to use the 2 3/4" shells safely. Probably had enough to the 3", but no way I would try those.

Some guy came by late on Sunday with a Parther that had the damascus barrels. They were easy to spot cause the blue was half worn off. It was still tight & looked shootable, but wouldn't try shooting that one. He wanted 8 bills for it.

It fired the 2 3/4" field loads in the Remington today. It worked just fine. Nice old shooter/collector type gun.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I have the most beautiful civil war era wound barrel double. The wood on it is amazing. And it probably would shoot but I am not going to fool with it. Not worth all that much, considering its age, condition, and beauty, yours is worth more.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have the most beautiful civil war era wound barrel double. The wood on it is amazing. And it probably would shoot but I am not going to fool with it. Not worth all that much, considering its age, condition, and beauty, yours is worth more.
Never shoot a Damascus barrel that has had black powder loads put through it (virtually all of them have). The problem is rust in the internal winds that can't be seen. Some are over half eaten away without a single pit showing. The only way to tell is by X-ray.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Never shoot a Damascus barrel that has had black powder loads put through it (virtually all of them have). The problem is rust in the internal winds that can't be seen. Some are over half eaten away without a single pit showing. The only way to tell is by X-ray.
Its actually a BP gun so I am pretty sure it was fired with BP :) Probably old BP that was pretty much sulfuric acid.

I have no intentions of trying to fire it. Its a shame because its such a pretty piece but even if it checked out I would rather just preserve it.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
A hammerless Remington SXS 12-gauge shotgun? Was that sweet baby produced in Grand Rapids, Michigan? And originally found in the Sporting Goods department at S-Mart, their top-of-the-line model? With a walnut stock, cobalt blued steel, and a hair trigger? And retailed for $109.95? ;)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it could have been the nicely blued and walnut stocked gun of which you speak. Not sure of it's original selling price.

However, the original plant was founded in Illion, NY by Eliphalet Remintion in 1816. It is still located there. They are celebrating their 200 years anny this year. They have since moved some operations to more gun friendly southern states.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
You might have to ask this one-handed guy named Ash about that. He's the one I heard all about that shotgun from... :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFriRcIwqNU[/ame]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.