Remington GoldenSabr velocity tests

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by oldgranpa, Nov 20, 2009.

1. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    In view of recent comments about GoldenSabr not expanding for Goldenloki, I decided to run some velocity tests on several boxes on hand.

Made it to the range today before it closes for winter. Tested 4 different lots of 380acp Remington GoldenSabr 102gr with the Chrony. Nice weather, full sun, 60deg, used the screens on the Chrony, set it at 10feet. Results follow...

1. lot C09EB02 P3AT 859.4, 817.2, 841.5fps and with Kahr P380 855.8, 843.5fps

2. lot C09EA02 P3AT 826.5, 861.9fps and with the P380 868.6, 858.0fps

3. lot B19JC02 P3AT 820.4, 866.4, 866.1fps and with the P380 819.4fps

4. lot H127C02 P3AT 872.3fps and the Kahr P380 852.1fps

1. 2. and 3. came from Midway last year before the ammo crash. 4. from a local dealer in Oct.09.

All I see from this is a lot of variation with factory ammo. Good enough to shoot but certainly not "match" ammo.
    So with my Chrony I didn't get numbers lower than 800fps like GL and BF did on their sites. They might have gotten a newer lot number than mine. So that's still a mystery.

FWIW,
    og Nov. 20, 2009

2. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I am not terribly impressed with Remington's QC - pretty big variation there. Maybe batches from early-middle of the year were underpowered?

GL, how about a retest of the Golden Saber sometime?

3. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    BTW, I forgot to include the factory stated muzzle velocity for the 102gr GoldenSabr, which is 940fps with a 4" barrel. Somewhere it was noted there is about a 50fps loss per inch of barrel. So I feel pretty good about the accuracy of my Chrony readings. Anyway, I've always noted that factory stated velocities are usually a bit high to make the ammo look better.
    Then, since most customers never check the ammo, they don't care if they have variation in their loading quality.

Best accessory you can ever buy is a Chrony!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

og

(I did one quick smiley test during the shoot and only got a slight nick on one side of the nose of a GS round. Pistol was quite dirty by then. BUT, accuracy was a good as the expensive P380!!)

4. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks for all your work. Interesting results. I hope GL will somehow manage to re-examine the Golden Sabers at some point too.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    +1 I've found that Remington rifle ammo isn't consistent either. I only use Remington ammo for practice---and not very accurate practice at that.

6. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Interesting. I was only able to get a 787fps avg out of mine but that was a while back. I stocked up on a bunch of 45 acp 230 GS several years back and found a 50fps variation in different lots out of same gun on same day?

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    +1 I've found that Remington rifle ammo isn't consistent either. I only use Remington ammo for practice---and not very accurate practice at that.[/quote]

I am starting to rethink my .380 carry ammo choice. :-/

8. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    just for you, pocketgun, here's a velocity summary chart I did awhile back and updated the P3AT after the last Chrony tests....

[​IMG]

Perhaps the way to go now is with DPX if you can find some. I like the Winchester Ranger which I managed to get several boxes last year, it's hard to find now. DoubleTap is pretty hot too, but like Speer GD, the bullet doesn't expand very much. And I still haven't tried the Hornady Critical Defense. Wish somebody with some would do some tests and let us know.

With the Rem GoldenSabr having such a variation it might be best to skip it for the P3AT and try something else.

9. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
  10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Thanks OG - I hadn't seen the chart before. The Double Tap was hotter than I thought it was, which is what I would have expected of them.