Reloads potentially too hot. help translating?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Birdsbeaks, May 11, 2009.

1. Birdsbeaks

Birdsbeaks New Member

May 10, 2009
    So I happened to acquire some .380 auto reloads which were loaded by a gentleman who has since passed on (otherwise i'd be asking him).
    The bullets are cast lead round nose, 95 gr.

I am fully ignorant about all aspects of reloading, but interested in learning. Anyways, this gentleman was nice enough to label the box of reloads with some information, which I am having trouble deciphering.

Thought maybe there was some kind of standard notation within the reloading community, and someone with more advanced knowledge would be able to help determine what exactly I've got my hands on and whether or not it would blow a P3 into a million pieces.

here's what it says:

4.63 SR 7625 #8 / 1 1/2
    95gr 358242 / 356

I was able to figure out that SR 7625 is a powder type manufactured by IMR which has since been absorbed by Hodgdon. I found some reloading data for .380 auto on the Hodgdon website regarding this powder type, but I wasnt quite sure what to make of it and furthermore, there was no data listed for a 95gr bullet.

If anybody can help decipher the information about these reloads it would be much appreciated.

I'm considering taking a PPK out to the range and comparing the felt recoil of these reloads against a blazer FMJ, before attempting to fire through the KT.

Warnings? Suggestions? Info?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    From the Hodgon Site http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp I found the following Maximun Loads
    090 GR. HDY JHP IMR SR 7625 .355" .955" 3.2 880 14,700 CUP
    100 GR. HDY FMJ IMR SR 7625 .355" .980" 3.0 855 15,500 CUP

I would AssUme, the 4.63 was the charge weight. which would be over maximun
    the above loads are for copper jacket bullets where you have cast. I never loaded cast so I don't Know if there is any rule of thumb that applies.

Hopefully RCModel will read and have the answer

3. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Sounds awful hot to me.
    I was told to keep lead below 1000fps, and these might be pushing that.

4. Birdsbeaks

Birdsbeaks New Member

May 10, 2009
    anybody know the specs on the Magsafe ammo that blew a P3 apart?

5. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    The information suggests that you have Lyman bullet mold in a 107 to 121 grain bullet.

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4131

I would assume that the "95gr 358242 / 356"  is suppose to mean 95 grain Lyman bullet mold 358242 sized to 0.356 inches diameter.
    The bullet mold information referenced above suggests a heavier bullet, so you might want to pull one and weigh it before you do anything.

Also weigh the powder if you can to see what it weighs.

As to the "4.63 SR 7625 #8 / 1 1/2"  This is the most confusing entry.  Most scales don't measure to a thousandth of a grain, so the 4.63 is unlikely to be an accurate weight of powder.  I consider things "accurate" if they are very reporducable to the nearest 0.1 grain.   This is why I try to stay below maximum published loads.  It could be a weight of 4.6 grains and that is why I would break one down and measure the powder.  It if is 4.6 grains, this is likely one hot load, and one I would not use!  I think that the SR 7625 is the IRM powder identified above.  The #8/11/2 might either be the reloading date (Aug 11, 2002) or it could be powder from an 8-pound jug with a 11/2 expiration date or powder lot number recorded, in case there is a powder recall.

Even though ammo is in scarce supply, I would not shoot this until I had broken it down and confirmed the information.  Even then, this has enough "red flags" that I would be hesitant to shoot it in anything but a "tank of a handgun."  Like a CZ in .380 that can be converted to regular 9x19mm or 9mm Luger.

If you have a reloading buddy, have him weigh the bullet and the powder charge.  If you don't have a reloading buddy disasemble two rounds and go to a store that sells reloading supplies and has demonstration equipment and see if they will let you measure the two bullets together and the two powders charges together and then divide the combined values by two to see an average weight for each.

Again, I would not shoot this in a KelTec with the limited information you have.

6. Birdsbeaks

Birdsbeaks New Member

May 10, 2009
    Thanks a lot!!! That sounds like some sound advice. I'll definitely follow those suggestions before shooting any of these through anything.

7. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    +1
    Robert357 has covered all the bases very throughly.
    JFB has supplied current MAX load data for that powder with jacketed bullets.

The 1 1/2 notation likely means a Rem # 1 1/2 Small Pistol primer.
    358242 = Obsolete Lyman mold for a 92 grain .358" .38 Special bullet.
    356 = Sized to .356" for the .380 ACP.
    #8 = From 8 pound drum of SR-7625?

The heaviest charge of SR-7625 I can find in any of my real old reloading manuals is 4.1 grain / 90 grain bullet. It is listed in BOLD as a Max charge.

Ten year old IMR load book says 3.2 is a MAX charge with 90 JHP.

I agree the only safe course of action is to pull some down and see what they really have in them.

rc

8. Birdsbeaks

Birdsbeaks New Member

May 10, 2009
    Thanks so much. I should have clarified, the 1 1/2 couldn't be a date as it was written as a number "1" followed by a fraction "1/2".

The guy supposedly had a reputation for loading them REAL hot.

Will follow suggestion and pull a few down to try and find out the real story... just as soon as i can acquire the tools... as i mentioned, i'm a total noob in this department.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, much appreciated. :)

9. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Well, if the 4.63 is grains of powder, his reputation was well deserved.

They didn't happen to call him Nine-Finger, or One-Eyed Jack, or Ol Shrapnel did they?

rc

10. Birdsbeaks

Birdsbeaks New Member

May 10, 2009
    lol. IIRC his nickname was "magnum".

Don't know the details of his passing, but... hmmmm...

11. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    I've had some interesting experiences with other peoples reloads. When in doubt, don't use them. Use to be a fellow around here who would reload 9mm so hot the would you couldn't read any of the headstamp on the fired brass. Didn't stop him from shooting them.

Tom

12. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I loaded some 9mm real hot, most of the brass swelled where the ramp is.
    Got tired of tossing all the brass, so I backed off the load a bit.

13. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    If you have any reloads you're not sure about DON'T shoot it. save it and if you take up reloading use a bullet puller to pull the bullets, dump the powder and re-use the components with a lnown powder load within safe limits. Not sayinf the reloader did anything wrong but these may have been meant for a larger, more robust gun.