Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ? I have a few #'s of PP and the only load I see is 4.7 starting 4.2 g for a 95g round with a cup of 21K .

I have some 95 jhp and don't want to have too hot a round nor do I really want to buy new powder but
I need to replaced my RLN rounds which is all I could find.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Lyman #49 shows 95 FMJ & Power Pistol:
Starting load = 3.5 - 856 FPS - 13,500 CUP
MAX Load = 3.9 - 933 FPS - 15,600 CUP.

That is out of a 3 3/4" test barrel.

I do not believe you will get good results with that slow of powder in an inch shorter P3AT barrel.

rc

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Bullseye for most all of my reloading for handguns. For the .380 it's 3.2 grains with a 90 grain bullet. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is pretty close to full power loads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm new to the .380 thing. Been reloading for years but never this caliber. For P3AT are the 90-95 grain bullets the pills of choice? I see alot of 100-115gr. Thinking a little heavy for a pocket pistol? Are Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique good powders? They are my goto powders for a lot of other calibers.  Still haven't taken possession of my new pistol. Probably could just look this info up in the 5 or 6 loading manuals I have :)

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
214 Posts
"For P3AT are the 90-95 grain bullets the pills of choice? I see alot of 100-115gr. Thinking a little heavy for a pocket pistol? Are Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique good powders?"

90-95 is standard but 100 gr is fine too. 115 is a 9x19 bullet and on the heavy/long side although i bet it has been done. the powders you mention are good. i've "worked down" to a load of 2.0 grain of red dot behind a 100 grain bullet. its reliable, quiet and doesnt throw the brass into an orbit. as for the original question, i dont see why you cant or shouldnt use it if you have some laying around, although it clearly is too slow to be the perfect choice

·
Registered
166 Posts
New to reloading. I thought I read that Accurate #2 was a good powder for the 380 auto. Did I go wrong by ordering it? Tom

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Probably not the very best choice, but it will get-R-done.

Lyman #49 shows Bullseye & Red Dot giving a little more velocity with similiar pressure. But not enough to quibble over.

rc

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Just about any medium fast burning pistol powder works fine in both.

Bullseye, Titegroup, 700X, Red Dot, Unique, WW-231 & Power Pistol, just to name a few.

In fact, there is hardly any handgun caliber you can't load with Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, or WW-231.

May not be the optimum powder for the intended use, but they will all Get-R-Done well enough to work.

rc

·
Registered
147 Posts
regrip said:
Is there one powder that can be used with my p3at and my s/w 9mm so I don't have to stock different powders?  Tom :)
For what it is worth, my books, Lee Modern reprint 2001, and Lyman 49, both list #2 for the 380 and 9mm. So go for it. You might want to go out and buy these reloading manuals. The Lee list more loads for #2 than the Lyman.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
But the Lyman lists more cast bullet data for every caliber then the Lee.

All the Lee book has in it is reprints from the powder manufactures available for free on the web.
They have no ballistics lab, and do no load testing of thier own.

Not even for thier own line of bullet molds!

rc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts