Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

761 - 778 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I would think that using electrostatic equipment like the cheap HF unit would work. I don't know about the tumble method, my first thought is not.

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
You can definitely powder coat a copper jacketed bullet, but most people don't do that. It's more difficult with less benefit. Powder coating is mostly a replacement for a copper jacket. I tumble the lead bullets to coat them but that wouldn't work well for harder copper. FMJ bullets can be powder coated the same as any other metal parts, with electrostatic adhesion prior to curing the powder coated bullets in an oven.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I suppose it could be done, but why would you want to coat a jacketed bullet? The jacketing does what the powder coat does. It would be redundant.

·
Grand Poobah
1,387 Posts
Can you powder coat a jacketed bullet? Does it work the same as a lead bullet? Has anyone tried to coat a jacketed bullet? ........ I think I am going in circles. I am getting dizzzzzy. It really s--ks getting old and trying to keep up with new things. I have spent 2 days of and on the net trying to find loading data for 32 H&R mag using 100 gr. SWC coated bullets. I contacted a couple of places trying to find a book that would have data for cast 32 cal. bullets. There customer help line had no ideal what I was talking about. I have bought 2 different books and one of them did not have any data for 32 cal. bullets data at all. NONE NADDA nothing. 😖😖😖 🥴🥴🥴

Steve
Steve,

Bayou Bullets (About Our Bullets), Badman Bullets, and SNS Casting all recommend using the same load data as standard cast lead bullets with their polymer coated bullets. So, if you have load data for that 100 gr SWC in plain lead, it's probably OK with coated. Start low and work up. I was able to find a few loads in that caliber using a 100 gr lead swc. See in this link: Reload Ammo | Founded By M.D. Smith in 1996 There is no info on cartridge length on it, though.

I am going to have to explore that site more. I do have a subscription to Loaddata.com, but they only listed the first two loads with a 100 gr swc. They gave a MAX length of 1.350 inches.

Bear in mind that there is more than one kind of coating. I don't know how powder-coated bullets compare with the "Hi-Tek" coated bullets supplied by commercial casters, or the "Hi-Tek" coating provided by Bayou Bullets to coat your own. I don't cast my own, I just buy them from the pros, generally coated or plated. I have used coated cast bullets from Missouri Bullet and have in my possession coated bullets from Acme, DG Bullets, plated from Berry's and Rainier Ballistics, the last, sadly, out of business. I have also used Rimrock 75 gr flat nose bullets for some pretty wicked .32 acp loads. Unfortunately, Rimrock does not sell coated bullets, but their lube seems to be well-behaved.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
what powder on that 32? I will find you something... start with the powder (brand, if not type). The major powder brands keep their data online now, for free.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
OK My loading for the 32 H&R Mag is on hold at this time. I have changed horses ( guns ) in the middle of the stream so to speak. I traded for a DPMS LR 308 several weeks ago and now into loading 308 Win and 5.56 Rem. for my AR-15. There is a lot of new powders out there now and I am confused about what to use. I have bullets - 55 gr. for the 5.56 and 150 FMJBT and Nosler 150 Green tip (not armor piercing ) and Nosler 165 gr. Green tip for the 308. Powder companies and powder types have changed a lot in the last few years. Reloading manuals also don't list all of the new powders. The online stuff does not give much data like the old manuals did. Nothing is simple anymore. Does anyone load for a 308 Black Rifle If you do what powder do you like? 🥴 🥴 🥴

Steve

Reactions: Badman400

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
TX these are the powders I've used for .223/5.56 & .308 for years with good success. Winchester WIN 748 for .223 and Hodgdon H4895 for .308.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a hard time finding load data for this thing.
I’ve called all the manufacturers
Berrys bullets
Alliant powder
IRC
Speer Nosler hornady.
No one has data and they all say ask the other company. For 115gr 9mm round nose bullet out of a WIN,FC, S&B case.
Lots of jibber jabber and commentary. But I wanna hear someone say I reloaded 115 Gr bullets with (?grs) charge of unique,IMR,HP38 (?powder) and it didn’t blow up and it shot accurately. I have reloading experience. But I’m a bit nervous about load for the 16” barrel, with 4” pistol data for powder charges.
What say you??
I know someone out there feels my pain.
Thanks for constructive comments

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

what bullet, exactly? the shape and weight are the key parts.
which exact powder?
The details matter.
the difference in reloader 10 and reloader 15 is 10 grains, fully 1/4 the amount difference... you don't want to mix it up.

I cant tell you what I did for 308 -- mine are lightweights for a lever gun because I don't need to knock myself down to shoot 100 yard paper. They would never cycle a semi. For 9mm I can give you multiple recipes for 90 grain; I keep to that to eek out a bit more velocity/flatness. But nothing in 115, I have not shot that in a long time. And there is the issue, this is a small group and your exact materials may not match many of ours.

reloading has some tolerance built in. Slight variations in bullet shape won't matter much for safety. You may never find the exact bullet you have listed in a manual or online. I rarely do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Jonnin,
At least I know I’m not alone... lol.
I may have to experiment lightly and work my way up to a safe load.
I’m nervous about loading to light as well. But it appears from my research that the longer the barrel the hotter the load becomes.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks Jonnin,
At least I know I’m not alone... lol.
I may have to experiment lightly and work my way up to a safe load.
I’m nervous about loading to light as well. But it appears from my research that the longer the barrel the hotter the load becomes.
Thanks for your help
I wouldn't say that the longer barrel makes the load hotter. The load makes the same peak pressure in most instances. That pressure just has more time to work on the bullet in the longer barrel. That is why the longer barrel generates higher velocity.

·
Grand Poobah
1,387 Posts
Having a hard time finding load data for this thing.
I’ve called all the manufacturers
Berrys bullets
Alliant powder
IRC
Speer Nosler hornady.
No one has data and they all say ask the other company. For 115gr 9mm round nose bullet out of a WIN,FC, S&B case.
Lots of jibber jabber and commentary. But I wanna hear someone say I reloaded 115 Gr bullets with (?grs) charge of unique,IMR,HP38 (?powder) and it didn’t blow up and it shot accurately. I have reloading experience. But I’m a bit nervous about load for the 16” barrel, with 4” pistol data for powder charges.
What say you??
I know someone out there feels my pain.
Thanks for constructive comments
JHB,

Do I understand correctly that you are wanting to load 9 mm Luger rounds for a pistol caliber carbine? You might look at this thread right here on KTOG: Reloads and chronographs of the sub2k
It's a fairly long thread, and includes data for .40 S&W, but there are some 9 mm loads there. When I am loading for my SUBs I like to chronograph the load first in a pistol to make sure nothing weird is going on, then try it in my SUB. I haven't loaded any 9 mm for carbine use, yet. And very little 9mm at all. Until the current craziness, it hasn't made sense for me to load 9 mm, though I do have dies and components.

I have noticed that whenever a manual has both rifle and pistol load data for a given cartridge, the powders and weights are identical for both, only the published velocities are different due to the barrel length. It seems that none of the sources of data are interested in optimizing for the type of gun the round is to be fired in. Tailoring pistol ammo for my SUBs and rifle ammo for my PLR-16 was one of the reasons I took up reloading. Even one article I read comparing .223 Rem. loads in various length barrels, found that the best loads in long barrels were still the best in short ones. Same for the worst loads. Maybe there isn't that much optimizing to do. Needless to say, I was disappointed in that, but I am still glad I roll my own.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Huge thanks, guys. Big help.
Makes sense. Talking to the guys at the gun shop, they said “sub2k shoots pistol rounds.”
So factory 9mm works. End of story.
So that being said:
Like you confirmed. Load the pc round same as a factory pistol round (that’s what the gun was made for) and as long as you meet spec, it should work.
I’m gonna run some tests with different charges and lengths. To find the sweet spot on the reload recipe. I’ll post my findings at a later date. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Does anyone use bullet gage blocks to check there reloads? I was loading for my AR-15 and thought that a regular set of dies would work. They do on some of the once fired brass I bought and not on others. Resized 500 brass and tried several in the gun. All chambered fine. Loaded up 50 rounds to try out. Sat down tonight and tried to cycle a loaded 30 round mag through the rifle. Well out of 20 rounds 18 worked ok. The first was a little hard to eject and the last took some extra work to get out of the gun. Now I am going to have to order a small base die somewhere. I am going to try a Redding body size die for my DPMS LR-308 and see if it works. Redding says that it will take the body back to factory specs all the way down to the base. It does not size the neck or expand the neck. I already have a neck sizer die for the 308 and will see how that works out. I got a little excited when I could not pull the charge handle back on that last round. Had to put a rubber hammer handle on the charge handle and bump it to remove the round. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Steve

Reactions: JHB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone use bullet gage blocks to check there reloads? I was loading for my AR-15 and thought that a regular set of dies would work. They do on some of the once fired brass I bought and not on others. Resized 500 brass and tried several in the gun. All chambered fine. Loaded up 50 rounds to try out. Sat down tonight and tried to cycle a loaded 30 round mag through the rifle. Well out of 20 rounds 18 worked ok. The first was a little hard to eject and the last took some extra work to get out of the gun. Now I am going to have to order a small base die somewhere. I am going to try a Redding body size die for my DPMS LR-308 and see if it works. Redding says that it will take the body back to factory specs all the way down to the base. It does not size the neck or expand the neck. I already have a neck sizer die for the 308 and will see how that works out. I got a little excited when I could not pull the charge handle back on that last round. Had to put a rubber hammer handle on the charge handle and bump it to remove the round. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Steve
They (RCBS) makes an AR specific die.
It is a small base die set. Adjust the shoulder and all to put the case back to factory spec. I was told this is what we need to avoid fees and eject problems.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
E-Mailed Redding and just got the response. They said to only use on Once fired brass of unknown origin. Then FL size and trim. After that might have to use the Body die after 3 or 4 loadings to reduce chambering problems. I have ordered a ammo checker for both 308 and 5.56 so I hope I will find out how this works. I have a FL die and a Neck die for 308. I think I will see if I can Neck size sometimes or have to FL size every time. I think I may need to add on to my workshop before I get finished with these rifles. 😉 😉 😉
Steve

Reactions: JHB

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
OK My loading for the 32 H&R Mag is on hold at this time. I have changed horses ( guns ) in the middle of the stream so to speak. I traded for a DPMS LR 308 several weeks ago and now into loading 308 Win and 5.56 Rem. for my AR-15. There is a lot of new powders out there now and I am confused about what to use. I have bullets - 55 gr. for the 5.56 and 150 FMJBT and Nosler 150 Green tip (not armor piercing ) and Nosler 165 gr. Green tip for the 308. Powder companies and powder types have changed a lot in the last few years. Reloading manuals also don't list all of the new powders. The online stuff does not give much data like the old manuals did. Nothing is simple anymore. Does anyone load for a 308 Black Rifle If you do what powder do you like? 🥴 🥴 🥴

Steve
I've been loading .308 for a rechambered Mauser that a friend gave my son. For no special reason, I favor Hodgdon powders. I load using Benchmark on the lighter end with bullet weights ranging in the 150-175-ish grain weights.

What I do like about Hodgdon is their online reload data is easy to use and pretty thorough. Hodgdon also has a number of powders that can work with both .308 and .223.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

761 - 778 of 778 Posts