Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience reloading fo rhte 3AT? I am interested in seeing how lead bullets handle the feed ramp of this gun. I just bought one and I am trying to figure out whether or not to reload or not. I think that I would like to use lead instead of metal jacket or plated.

Thanks

Tim, N5TJO

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I have reloaded for mine about two years, although I have not tried lead bullets.
I have been using Berry plated bullets, which in many respects, is about the same thing.

The plated jacket is only about a half a thousandths thick, so basically offers very little protection against denting or deforming to the pure lead core.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/3.php

In my opinion, when I can buy Berry or Rainier plated bullets for 4.5 cents each, I can't afford to fool around with casting & sizing lead bullets, and cleaning bullet lube fouled guns when I get done shooting them. Especially in the relatively low volume I shoot of .380 stuff. Just isn't worth messing with casting them for me.

PS: If you do want to shoot cast bullets, I do not see why there would be any problem doing it. If swaged soft lead bullets prove to cause problems, you can always go to a harder alloy cast bullet using Linotype metal.
They are harder then woodpecker lips and positively will not deform during feeding.

rcmodel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.