Reloading .380

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johndeeere1979, Jan 3, 2008.

1. johndeeere1979

johndeeere1979 New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    does anyone have a good load for the .380

i ordered lead Round nose 95grain bullets from mastercast bullets.

2. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Johndeeere1979,

I have had pretty good luck with this load:

- new Federal .380 cases.

- CCI #500 Primers.

- Speer 100 grain JHP, .355 bullet.

- 3.7 grains of Unique powder.

This load is rated as maximum in the Speer book, and it shot very well in my Sig P230, and also Sweet Bride's Walther PPK/S. You might want to work up to it, just for safety's sake, to see that it's safe in your P3AT.
    Using Unique, this load is somewhat dirty, and you'll certainly need to do some clean up, after having fired it. But, it was good in our guns, and might be worth a look. It was accurate, and also very consistent.

I usually do penetration and expansion testing, using pine boards, and multiple gallon jugs of water, but did not do so for this load. So, I'm not sure how it will perform in this parameters. But, then, I don't use reloads for self-defense, either, so the point was moot, as far as I was concerned. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

3. clayflingythingy

clayflingythingy New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Alliant, Hodgdon, Accurate, etc all have web sites with load info as well as data booklets free for the asking. The Lyman 48th and Lee Modern Reloading are also good sources of load data. The Lee book has the same info as supplied by the powder manufacturers but it doesn't cost much and is handy.