Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the KSG reliable out of the box, feeding and electing? If not is there something that Kel-Tec could do before shipping? Is there anything that you have done o your end?

Curious because I really would like to get one but NOT if it is unreliable without a lot of work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As is the case with ALL gun makers in the last 50 years, you will get an occasional gun with problems, most will be perfect right out of the box.
This is totally a "luck of the draw" and you can only determine what you have by actually shooting it.
Manual operation or visual inspection will seldom tell you about reliability.

There are some things you can do to help things along, and one is to polish the parkerized chamber to help prevent cheap shells from giving extraction problems.

Many problems are actually caused by people trying to show how fast they can empty the gun and what they're actually getting are failures to fully operate the slide or failing to allow the trigger to reset.

You can get a much smoother, more reliable KSG by doing a "Fluff & buff" to key areas, OR you can just shoot the gun to wear it in.
Here's some info on how to SMOOTH (NOT "polish) the KSG..

https://www.thektog.org/threads/getting-ready-to-modify-the-plastic-slide-rail-on-my-ksg.259455/

https://www.thektog.org/threads/new...forearm-notch-post-operation-thoughts.262299/

Here's some information on what "polishing" gun parts actually means and some materials and methods to do it correctly and not ruin parts......

https://www.thektog.org/articles/techniques-and-standards-for-fluffing-and-buffing-firearms.33/

Bottom line.... Take the gun out with some quality ammo and SHOOT IT.
Then if you have a problem either send it in to Kel-Tec or if you're not afraid of voiding the warranty, do it yourself.

So why don't gun makers do these things at the factory?
They could, but the hand labor costs needed would up the price significantly and people would buy something else.

The major key to the KSG and the KS7 is that these are modifications of the John Browning design of the Ithaca Model 37 shotgun.
Everything happens in the last 1/2 inch of movement of the slide to the rear, and the last 1/2 inch of movement to the front.
Short stroking of the action is a reliability factor so proper operation is required and a smoother action is an aid.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The KSG out of the box is prone to having shells stick in the chamber, if they're low brass shells. Some cheapo high brass too.

If you, or your smithy will remove the parkerizing and polish out the chamber, no mo' stickin' and things get smoother than the inside of yer girlfriends thigh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The KSG out of the box is prone to having shells stick in the chamber, if they're low brass shells. Some cheapo high brass too.

If you, or your smithy will remove the parkerizing and polish out the chamber, no mo' stickin' and things get smoother than the inside of yer girlfriends thigh.
Thanks. Should be taken care of by Kel-Tec before going out the door, but they don't so oh well...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I addressed this in another post..........

Kel-Tec had two choices for the barrel.
1. Was to plug the bore and chamber before parkerizing it.
2. Was to polish the chamber after parkerizing.

Both require hand labor and that runs the price up more then you might think.
So, they just leave it as-is to keep the price down, figuring that the statement in the owner's manual about not using low brass steel or aluminum head shells would do the trick, and that most buyers wouldn't have any problems with it.

This is a situation with a lot of the "budget" model shotguns; the manufacturer doesn't do as good a job of polishing the chambers in order to keep the price down and they tend to be a little rougher then the top of the line models.
These lower priced guns sometimes have trouble extracting with cheap low "brass" shells.
In a great many cases the case heads on a lot of shotgun shells are brass plated steel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why I went with a Beretta 1301 Tactical, and am leaving this forum. Bit more money but eats everything. REALLY wanted a KSG way back when but reliable beats out capacity.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oh well, nine days from "is it reliable" to "goodbye".

I've always been one to complain about easily corrected things myself, so who am I to judge. Why just this morning I was complaining about the air being low in my bicycle tires.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts