Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title says it all, I have a P32 and have had 2 PF9s and still have one PF9,while i was at my local gun shop this week i was looking at a new P3AT and was thinking of adding one to my KEL-TEC collection,my question is for those that have both P32 and P3AT which one is more reliable? I have heard many stories about FTF and FTE on P3AT's compaired to P32's, i know my P32 never ever had any issues and was wondering if the P3AT is also a reliable gun.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
First off, they are the same gun. Some parts are interchangeable. Others have slightly different dimensions but are the same design.

There is no reason that either can be fully reliable.

The difference really comes down to it being a small, light gun. There is a smaller margin of error, greater sensitivity to ammo, which will be gun-to-gun but the generality still holds. I would therefore expect the .380 to be more finicky than the .32.

OTOH, the .380 has absolutely no worries about rimlock, and more varieties of ammunition to choose from in the hunt to find what your piece likes best.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
Odds of having issues with a new P3AT are pretty slim. If only because of the lower forces involved, I would probably rate the P32 at a slight reliability advantage, but any percieved higher failure rate with the P3AT could also be attributed to much higher production numbers and thus more P3AT posts than P32 posts. If I were you, I certainly would not hesitate to buy a P3AT if it suited my needs. My 2nd gen P3AT, after a few years and probably 1000 rounds, has never stumbled.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There was actually a poll here on KTOG somewhere related to this.
I'll give you my P3AT experience:
I have over a k rounds thru my P3AT. During the 1st 2 mags of initial break-in, I had 2 feed failures. A few hundred rounds in, during a range trip where it was nice and grimey from over 100 rounds with no cleaning, and a number of shooters employing various grips, I had 1 extraction failure and 1 feed failure. When i got home to clean it, the extractor screw had worked a little loose. I didn't know what locktite was & therefor hadn't put it on the screw. I tightened it and experienced no further problems thru a couple hundred more rounds. At somewhere just under a k rounds, I had multiple extraction failures during a range trip. Discovered the very tip of the extractor was chipped off and the extractor was loose. Called Kel-tec and had an extractor within 3 days. Replaced it and put locktite on the threads. No problems since and can't even limpwrist a failure on purpose now. So after break-in, I've had 3 failures during over 1000 rounds, and they were my fault. Pretty good!:D I still want to add a P32 though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas,just as i thought,and that makes sence the more p3at sales equates to more complaints,looks like i will be adding a p3at to the collection! the p32 is a great little gun,the extra round,the ease of staying on target after the first shot,all good points but the same gun in a larger caliber is cool too!:D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i got both and the p32 wins hands down. but i would get the p3at any way. the ones made now are better with less problems and/or no problems.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
In my very limited sample, one of each, the P32 has been 100% reliable excluding ammo failure. My P3at did have the trigger pin move out of place causing a failure of the trigger. It may have been ammo related as I was shooting Buffalo Bore "P+" at the time. After a pretty easy DIY repair, with free parts from KT, it has been 100%.

Not sure if it matters but my P32 is a 1st Gen hard chrome and my P3at is 2nd Gen blued. Both are great guns and I wouldn't give either up.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
buy a new one with serial # beginning with "L"... I have bought 2 of em in last 18 days. They both work 100%.. I have pistol 32 keltec also, will eat anything. My pistol380,(my first of 3) just got back from "ccrrefinishing.com",,, best money I have spent on guns & sending other 380 over there april 13th.. The pistol (first one made 2011) does not feel the same, it's incredible.. Ran 80 bullets thru it this morning. The pistol32 has HC everything and I want send it, but if I had extra money I would. I just put a deposit down on a keltec sub 2K/40 caliber-glock magizines. It will go to CCR also.. Have you seen those videos of subK on YouTube? CRAZY..

My 380's are with me 24/7.. Keltec is addictive. The people that work at keltec are addictive and nice. Buy a new one/life time warranty. And it's really a lifetime warranty. My father has one of the 3 ,, P3AT's, & mom is holding P-32.

"leave a lamp on"

·
Banned
414 Posts
Rim-lock with cartridges of shorter OAL (over all length) is the Achilles heel of the P-32. Thus the factory rim-lock spacer kit.* On the other hand the semi-rimmed .32 ACP cartridge should, in theory at least, offer a greater advantage when it comes to extraction issues.
The internal slide lock on the P-32 adds complexity and could cause the slide to lock back prematurely (with ammo remaining, that is), though that is a rare occurrence.

* http://keltecweapons.com/product/p32-314-rim-lock-spacer/

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have 3 P-32 The women folk take them about as fast as I buy them I also have the 380 and a PF-9 . All my kelTecs have worked right from box with out 1st bit of trouble.

The 1 gen might have had some trouble But I think as much as humanly possible the 2nd gen have cured 99% of past troubles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
whats the old saying 6 of one and a half a dozen of another

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a P32, but wanted a 380, so I bought a P3AT. I wanted another P32, so I bought a gray model. I haven't had any trouble with any of them. The P3AT has around 400 rounds down the tube. The first P32 has around 200, and the second P32 has around 500. These little buggers seem to be the most reliable KTs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts