Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 new lower receivers on order and want to register one as a pistol. is this something that i specify with my FFL when i pick it up? Do i need some kind of verification from the manufacturer that the receiver has never been registered before?
This is all so silly, but until we can get some sanity in gun laws and the ATF, i'll comply, being old enough that 10 years in the pen is too darn close to a life sentence

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I never did anything with mine. I'm pretty sure I asked my FFL when I picked it up too. It might depend on your local laws too so I would double check just to be sure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have since read up (including the ATF regulation) and here is the gist:
If you ever have an upper less than 16" lying around(or even a barrel) you better have a lower that you have initially assembled as a pistol. Maybe having a lower that has never been assembled would be OK but I think to be safe you had better at least put in the lower parts and a pistol buffer assembly. I'd take a picture showing the SN once you have done that too. Once you have "assembled a pistol, you can then legally use the lower to make a rifle( NOT a SBR!), then convert back to a pistol any time you want. But don't mount a rifle butt stock and an under 16" barrel at the same time. That is a SBR and an NFA weapon. Go to jail.
If you have initially assembled a rifle configuration on the lower, you can not make it into a pistol as it is a rifle and making it into something with a less than 16" barrel or overall length of less than 26" makes it an NFA weapon. again, go to jail.
Crazy huh! so i will do the pistol route with my new lowers and be safe.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Thanks but I'll skip it, I have a pistol AR and legal M16 so I can have the short upper on either. The pistol lower is assembled and in my safe.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Unless you have the short barrel rifle stamp putting a pistol length barrel on a receiver that started life as a rifle your going away. A 15.999999" will land you in as much trouble as a 10". Be cautious, check then double check anything that even comes close to a grey area. Make no mistake you cross the line ignorance will be a hollow defense.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm old enough to remember how ruby ridge started by the feds claiming Randy cut off a shotgun barrel a wee bit under 16" in order to try and force him to become an informer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.