refinishing my slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hudispit, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    my bluing isnt holding up to well on my gun. i have no signs of rust or anything just wear. i was wondering what the best product is for DIY refinishing. i want a matte black finish, something you might bake on (ceramic) that will last a long, long time. i dont want to send it off if i can do it my self. if it turns out nice, i would also do my GF ;D and my pf9. any suggestions or links appreciated.

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    doing some searching and found the DuraBake. anyone ever try it? i like how it is in a aerasol can and needs no paint gun. also it can be baked.http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_bake.html is this stuff durable? what do you think?

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
  4. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
  5. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    where did you purchase that finish? is it in an aerosol can?

6. Doc_S

Doc_S New Member

Here are some results I had with CeramaCoat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a P3AT that I carry every day.
    I did a slide melt and CeramaCoated it about a week after I ported, melted and CeramaCoated this P11.
    Still no sign of ware...

God Bless,
    Doc S

7. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
  8. Doc_S

Doc_S New Member

9. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i am sorry but could you explain a little what a "slide melt" is? is this stuff in an aerasol can? could you give a brief step -by-step process? thanks for the help because if i do this i want to be 100% prepared and buy the best stuff out there. thanks

10. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    would you say that the CeramaCoat is the best on the market compared to duracoat, etc?

11. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i am starting to be a pain here but need answers. apparently you have to mask the inside of the side, is that correct? can i sand the outside surface to get rid of the machine marks prior to painting? can you sand it smooth (1000 grit) or should you keep it a little rough (220 grit) for the outside of slide? sorry. want it done right the first time.

12. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008

Hudispit,
    I did spend some time (too much) with some sandpaper on the slide...I then found a local sandblaster and had him give it a quick once over lightly too make sure it was a nice smooth but textured finish so the ceramacoat had something to grip to...To prepare for this step with the sandblaster, I filled in all parts that I did NOT want to be blasted with modeling clay. That is the inside of the barrel and slide.
    The directions on the Ceramacoat say you don't really need to do anything other than degreasing, but I wanted to make sure it ended up having a nice smooth finish and not come off.. Make sure it is degreased very well before painting it, I used Simple green for this step. Be ready to spray asap after degreasing and don't touch it with your bare hands. As far as taping off, yes I did do this, got some on the inside, but it does not seem to be a problem at all. One trick I learned years ago for aerosol spraying is to warm up the can in some hot water before hand. I just keep a bucket with hot tap water and float the can in it. It helps the "paint" to spray out much smoother and have much less texture.
    I don't think I would use my oven to bake the parts though..this stuff stinks! I used an old toaster oven and made a little wire holder from a clothes hanger to make sure the slide wasn't touching the oven rack anywhere...hope this helps, it is not hard, just take your time and it will turn out great. The finish is amazing, not one scratch or mark in close to 2 months of everyday carry ;)
    Best, Steve

13. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    thanks steve for all the info. :) i have a sandblaster so that sounds like a good idea. i am not going to do the barrel because i polished it and like the look. did you do inside the barrel hole in the slide or just mask? i was going to use the toaster oven also.

14. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    this must be some popular stuff. it is sold out at midway and also sportsmansguide. i just ordered it from this other company (forget at this time) for $30. got tired of searching to save a few dollars. in a week or two i will be able to take some pictures of my job. thanks everyone

15. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I didn't do my barrel I mistyped ;) I just polished mine with a scotch brite pad, I masked off the underside of the slide, some overspray got in there but isn't a problem good luck!
    Steve

16. Doc_S

Doc_S New Member

Slide melt is where you remove the sharp edges from a weapon. It's also known as dehorning.
    The purpose of doing this is so that as you carry it, the sharp edges don't bite or dig into your flesh. It makes carrying much more comfortable.

You can use a dremmel, belt sander or just sand paper. Sand or file down the edges of the weapon. Here are a couple examples...

This P11 is different than the one in the pictures above. The ports in the slide are elongated.
    See the edges of this P11 slide. They're sharp / crisp.
    [​IMG]

This picture is the P11 after I ported, melted and CeramaCoated it.
    The edges have been rounded (like a used bar of soap).
    [​IMG]

As for preping for CeramaCoat, you need to degrease all surfaces.
    I removed my extractor and masked (using masking tape) any areas I didn't intend to spray.

Shake the can very well and spray with 1-3 coats. THe picture above, has 3 coats, because I wanted a slightly rough finish.

I didn't sand blast or roughen the surface of the area I intended to spray and you don't have to polish out imperfections.

Here's my P3AT. Look at the edges in the red circles. These are the areas I melted.
    [​IMG]

Here's the result (after melting and finishing).
    [​IMG]

I did bake it in my oven (using wire to hang it).

Hope this helps...

God Bless,
    Doc S

17. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    thanks a lot! nice of you to share. one more if you are still around, did you paint the slide pin (not sure if that is the name) and the extractor spring? seems like that would be a good idea too.

18. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    did you do the inside of the barrel port on the slide? i wasnt sure if that would hinder performance.

19. Doc_S

Doc_S New Member

I did ceramacoat the ports and inside of the area in the slide.
    I did the ourside of the assembly pin but not the ejector.

God Bless,
    Doc S

20. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    UPDATE ON CERAMACOAT...
    i ordered some last friday and was notified by phone by the distributor that ceramacoat is on a recall. they told me that it was not giving a quality finish and was pulled off the shelfs until the problem is fixed. he also mentioned not to order it from any other company until the new product comes out. i did look at midway and a few other sites and they already quit selling it. i might have to look at the durabake product now. just wanted to inform you.