Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can make the KT rails work by cutting them. Has anyone done this and have some pics of the finished product? Is it worth paying extra for the RL rails? Is $62 extra for 2 rails. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jayta ...

I will post some pics by the middle of next week as my Sub should be finished..

I have (3) Keltec rails mounted on my Redlion forend. They look perfect!

Consideratons:
(1) KT rails .. High quality and not pricy. I did not order RL's as 19 slots would not cover entire forend
(2) Cut the KT rails down from 23 to 21 slots to cover the full lenght of RL forend .. ... Easy
(3) Order redlion Gromets! 4 per rail. This is a MUST as they fit perfectly into the RL predrilled holes and slots. They are needed no matter what rails you end up mounting ...
(4) Get screws from local store. 3/8" long. Size 10/24 ..
(4a) Unfortunately ... The screw heads will need to be slighly reduced ( bench gringer) to fit down into the KT recess ... So ... grind and spray PAINT BLACK is required ... about 45 min total job ...
**** This may sound like a half ass approach ,, but i assure you it was easy and looks like factory work ... also.. this may still be required if using some other brand rail...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I can't wait to figure out a forend for mine. I don't feel like expending the extra cash in RL forend but I might have to. I will wait for your pics.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i installed a small magpul rail on top of the stock forend. I used the new raiser and it looks like it gives me the right height for my Bushnell TRS25 red dot. I don't like the rail on the stock forend as i can move it. I think i'm going to go with RL forend and KT rail cut to right length.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got done. I used RL forend with KT rails. Not too bad but it took me sometime to get it together. Here she is:

Now it fits perfect in my blackhawk bag:

Got to got to the range and rezero everything. Very well made forend.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I really like it. i was really looking to install the AFG2 but i don't see how can I attach the pressure switch to it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did zero everything again and its so much better to shot with the red dot. my neck is thanking me everyday i use the sub. I might try a 1" riser. The current one is 0.83" tall.
The only complaint is that the forend gets hot. i guess because I'm really shooting more now. I was able to feed the laser's coiled cable inside the forend. I don't think is going to melt because is closer to the barrel. I added some rail ladder covers on the sides and underneath to help grab the forend easier and maybe protect from the heat. Over all i love the new look and it turns heads every place i go to shoot it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just used touch up paint for my car. Testors paint is really good too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bringing back an old thread.

I just recently installed a Red Lion forend with Kel-tec rails and wanted to post up a few tips.

First when cutting the rails...cut the side that has the hole in the first slot. The reason for this is the other side lines up the first 2 holes perfectly with the forend holes. The front of the rails are almost flush with the forend as well.

See the hole spacing?

Second tip is buying the correct hardware for installing the rails. Buy the grommets from Red Lion...I bought 12 since I installed 3 rails. Next are the screws. These I bought from McMaster-Carr online. They are 10-24x3/8" low head allen screws...part# 92220A162. They are $8.34 plus shipping for a box of 50.

See how flush they are and no grinding needed.

Finished

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is a beautiful setup and right where I'm headed with mine. I have the red dot but that's all so far. Would you do anything different? I'm only asking because I haven't bought anything else yet.

Yours looks awesome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is a beautiful setup and right where I'm headed with mine. I have the red dot but that's all so far. Would you do anything different? I'm only asking because I haven't bought anything else yet.

Yours looks awesome!
Well, I'm struggling with the scope setup right now. Getting the correct eye relief with this scope sucks. I plan to go with red dot or another scope with more relief, since I need this one all the way back on the rails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts