Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my new Sub2K Gen2 with the Red Lion
indexing fore grip handguard. I'm not very impressed with the stock unit's shape
and feel, hence the consideration.
My question is what is the attachment system on this unit? M-Lok, Key-Mod
or what?
For the time being I only plan to add a light and angled fore grip to the
bottom, but might add an optic later on. I know what length rail I need to
attach my items, but not what kind of attachment system for the rail I need.
Thanks for any input,
Jack

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The Red Lion does not accept M-Lok or Key-Mod accessories directly. They offer different length picatinny rails for an additional fee , but nothing else that I know of will fit unless it attaches to the picatinny rail.

·
Registered
670 Posts
... I'm not very impressed with the stock unit's shape and feel, hence the consideration...Jack
The factory forearm shape & size were conceived to allow M-Lok attachments to "fill-out" the finished configuration to the needs of the user/owner, IMHO.

Here are some of the M-Lok attachments that are available ;)

http://www.keltecweapons.com/sub-2000/sub-2000-accessories/

I've added some to bulk-up the handguard, as my hands are big :eek:

Auto part Recreation Decorative rubber stamp

Shotgun

There are others available from Midwest Industries, Strike Force Tactical, YHM, etc...

....Just my 2 cents, CaptainJack :D

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Red Lion does not accept M-Lok or Key-Mod accessories directly. They offer different length picatinny rails for an additional fee , but nothing else that I know of will fit unless it attaches to the picatinny rail.
Mine worked pretty well with M-Lok, though a little tough. I think a bit longer screw is needed for a lot of M-Lok stuff.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Mine worked pretty well with M-Lok, though a little tough. I think a bit longer screw is needed for a lot of M-Lok stuff.
The M-Lok attachments that I have do not fit into the slots of the Red Lion unit. They are about 1/64" bigger than the slots. They could be modified to fit, but out of the box they do not. I never got to the issue of screw length. So, you bought longer screws and forced your brand new M-Lok attachments into the slots of your brand new nicely made Red Lion handguard? :eek: Can you provide pictures of this?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Using the M-Lok on the RLP, that's probably correct, as the centerline of the barrel is farther away from the inside surface when installed.
However, for the stock Gen 2, the M-Lok screws provided with the accessories are about 1/8" too long. :eek:
From my experience with 'em, you're better off shortening the screws a bit before installation on the stock Gen 2.
Also, pay attention to the instructions provided ~ the section referencing "the gap" is useful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The M-Lok attachments that I have do not fit into the slots of the Red Lion unit. They are about 1/64" bigger than the slots. They could be modified to fit, but out of the box they do not. I never got to the issue of screw length. So, you bought longer screws and forced your brand new M-Lok attachments into the slots of your brand new nicely made Red Lion handguard? :eek: Can you provide pictures of this?
I didn't use longer screws, just think they would be easier. I was just terrible at putting them in without unscrewing too much and fishing for the back plate piece. As for getting it in, I just angled it a bit and popped it in. It rubbed on the slot a bit, but not the outside portion, so it doesn't matter to me. At some point I plan on taking the entire thing apart and painting it. Then I'll probably install them with it off so I don't mess anything up.

I'm still debating whether or not to have an optic on it or not just put off an angled grip and light/laser combo. I could get away with the stock guard for that setup, bit I like the grip of the red Lion better in general.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my new Sub2K Gen2 with the Red Lion
indexing fore grip handguard. I'm not very impressed with the stock unit's shape
and feel, hence the consideration.
My question is what is the attachment system on this unit? M-Lok, Key-Mod
or what?
For the time being I only plan to add a light and angled fore grip to the
bottom, but might add an optic later on. I know what length rail I need to
attach my items, but not what kind of attachment system for the rail I need.
Thanks for any input,
Jack
Some have saved some money on the rails by ordering ones from Keltec. They can be cut down to whatever size you need.
But they are thinner, and you will still need to purchase the hardware from Red Lion.
And I believe there is a whole section in the FAQ/stickie section. Good place to do your research...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone know if I can get an "extended" rail? What I want to do is have a rail in the rearmost position, but extended back towards the receiver a bit so I can mount my optic a little further back.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Anyone know if I can get an "extended" rail? What I want to do is have a rail in the rearmost position, but extended back towards the receiver a bit so I can mount my optic a little further back.
A member extended the red Lion rail rearward. He had to grind a groove for the tightening ring. The kt rails are too thin.
Theres a lot of discussion, in depth discussion in the FAQ.
Do some research..

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't mean rail as in handguard, I mean an actual picatinny rail. I was thinking of getting a long pic rail and putting the middle slot of it in the rear most position of the RLP handguard. That way the pic rail kind of overlaps the knurl nut if the RLP guard, but allows the optic to be placed further back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another item I pulled the trigger on. Should be here this weekend.
Once I have it, I can figure out how long a pic rail to order to hold the Magpul angled fore grip and
the Streamlight TLR-2 HL to the bottom of it and get it on it's way.
Like Xmas in March.
Jack

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I don't mean rail as in handguard, I mean an actual picatinny rail. I was thinking of getting a long pic rail and putting the middle slot of it in the rear most position of the RLP handguard. That way the pic rail kind of overlaps the knurl nut if the RLP guard, but allows the optic to be placed further back.
Again, check the FAQ, and the red lion section.
If you have thought of it, it most likely has been done before.
Plus you don't have to go to trial and test. Others have done the hard work for you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.