Red dot

Discussion in 'PMR-30' started by tms022, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tms022

tms022 New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Ok, so that nobody flames me....I did a search on this forum for "Red Dot" and got no hits.

I am looking for any thoughts on a red dot for the PMR 30. Has anyone used one? Good or bad experiences would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. KTGuy

KTGuy Active Member

I mounted a Burris FastFire III Red Dot Sight on my PMR. It worked just fine. I had a little trouble getting used to finding the sight picture, but finally got that figured out. A red dot is very accurate and very quick and very fun. Red dot didn't show up so good during a sunny day and at a longer distance. Then I put on a Crimson Trace green laser on the bottom rail and tried both the laser and the red dot at the same time. Kinda fun, but much easier to see the green laser than the red dot. Then I took off the Burris and kept the Crimson Trace - no contest in my mind - my little green froggie PMR will always shoot with the Crimson Trace for so very many reasons. By the way, there are more threads that talk about this but they are probably listed under a thread or two that says something about "sights". Good luck! :cool:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    Todd Denney likes this.

3. cali201

cali201 Active Member

May 5, 2012
    green dot may fair better in daylight. Primary arms makes a green dot reflex sight that fits the burris mount KT sells

4. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Zion, IL
    I thought I read about one that could switch from red to green somewhere. that would be interesting

5. cali201

cali201 Active Member

May 5, 2012
    There are lots of regular red/green dot scopes but I have not heard of a dot that would fit the pmr30 ( needs to be tiny) that goes both ways

6. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Zion, IL
    Sorta like a Burris FastFire II red-dot?

[​IMG]

7. Mel Moir

Mel Moir Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Check out swampfox optics..kingslayer green dot 20191226_102119.jpg

Todd Denney and Minister1955 like this.
  8. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    How is the Kingslayer working out for you? Any problems with the weight? And also, are you using the Tanner RMR mount?

I have a Kingslayer on my S&W 22A and really like it and want to put one on my PMR

9. Greg Tanner

Greg Tanner Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    NE GA
    He did use my RMR mount. Not sure if he had to modify the 6-40 screws that I included with it. I do have a Holosun specific mount now that's tapped for 6-32 that is also .065oz lighter to help with cycling issues when using the heavy Holosuns. I haven't gotten around to putting them up for sale yet though. They should also be compatible with the Kingslayer if it's an RMR footprint.

12Bravo likes this.
  10. jonnin

jonnin Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    the better tube ones come with uv and polarized and other filter caps that help outdoors along with brightness and dot size settings.

11. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Yes the Kingslayer uses the RMR footprint. My concern is overall weight of the mount and the Kingslayer causing issues with the PMR.

Do you have any plans for a mount with the RMSc footprint?

12. Greg Tanner

Jul 13, 2019
    NE GA
    Yes, I am working on one for the Romeo Zero and Holosun 407/507k. They will be a little taller than others because the small footprint makes it so I have to use cap head screws instead of flat head. The Kingslayer shouldn't have cycling issues if it's similar in weight to the RMR. Especially if the new lighter Holosun mount is used. The only report I've had of cycling issues with any of the mounts is with the Holosun 407/507c. They are substantially heavier than anything else I make mounts for.

12Bravo likes this.
  13. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks for the information.

14. Greg Tanner

Jul 13, 2019
    NE GA
    I'm also working on one for the Romeo 1. It's super light because it's made from magnesium but at the same time it has huge glass compared to pretty much everything else out there.

15. Tex1911

Tex1911 Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Greg is helping me with my Holuson A3. I hope we can make it work. I weighed it with the battery in it and it is 41 grams. Fingers crossed.

16. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I weighed my Kingslayer with the battery installed (no screws) and it weighs 1.3 ounces.

17. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Update on the Tanner mount. I received my mount today and have it installed. Tanner sent me the Holosun mount (RMR footprint) that is a little lighter than the Trijicon RMR mount. Total weight of the Swampfox Kingslayer and the mount plate is 1.8oz. Now to find time and cool weather to sight it in. I'll give another update once I get a chance to shoot the PMR.

IMG_4778.jpeg IMG_1903.jpeg

I think that a mount for the Shield RMSc would be nice since the Shield and Romeo 0 are smaller and lighter.

18. 12Bravo

12Bravo Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Well everything worked great. I ran 4 magazines of 40Gr CCI Maxi Mags through the PMR with the Swampfox Kingslayer and Tanner's Holosun mount.

tx-rvr likes this.