Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scored an RFB from Gunbroker. Pretty much the only place you can buy in demand firearms now. I bought a KSG from Gunbroker in December and love it.

Anyways, what kind of optic do you guys like to run on this? I run a red dot on my KSG and red dot with 4x magnifier on my AR. I do like the quick acquisition of red dots, but I see scopes being used in the majority of pictures of the RFB.

Just trying to decide between a LPVO or red dot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2 cents: Both the RFB and the RDB are better suited to an LPVO because the 5.56 and .308 are both competent mid-range cartridges that would be hobbled without magnification.

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on my RDB. At 1x with the illumination on it's nearly as quick on target as my red dots. I'm very happy with it.

The biggest argument for a red dot on these rifles is if you're very intent on shedding ounces (in which case you'd not use a magnifier).

Alternatively, get one of each if you actually have a use-case where you're only shooting under 50 yards and accept the need to re-zero when you swap them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Depends entirely on what you want to do and how far your want to shoot. I've run dots,prisims,and Lpvos.

Currently run prisim scopes.

Lpvos are great but they change the weight balance on my rifle to forward of this pistol grip. However having that 1.5x and then being able to go to 4 or 6x is very nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2 cents: Both the RFB and the RDB are better suited to an LPVO because the 5.56 and .308 are both competent mid-range cartridges that would be hobbled without magnification.

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on my RDB. At 1x with the illumination on it's nearly as quick on target as my red dots. I'm very happy with it.

The biggest argument for a red dot on these rifles is if you're very intent on shedding ounces (in which case you'd not use a magnifier).

Alternatively, get one of each if you actually have a use-case where you're only shooting under 50 yards and accept the need to re-zero when you swap them.
Thanks for the reply. How's the eye relief on that scope?

I shoot all distances. I used to be limited by a range, but my property I recently purchased is 28 acres. I was looking at the PA 1-8 ffp, but just worried about the eye relief.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me the eye relief on the strike eagle is forgiving enough to be able to comfortably shoot off hand and rested at all magnifications.
It’s not top tier glass, but for the price and with the features I’m very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I have a Burris 4-12x42mm Rangefinding Laserscope on my RFB. They are discontinued as a product line. But mine keeps on working, so I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an RDB and red dot currently. I am planning to add some low power magnification in the form of a prism scope soon something in the 3x to 5x range. I do that just to enjoy the rifle a little more at the range as the rifle shoots better than I can see at a distance.

With the RFB being 7.62 it has the potential for longer distance and also is less fun indoors and at short distance without a good suppressor attached. So I would think that a low power variable scope would be best. I would look for something like 1-8x or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts

This is a good answer & about what I would have said. The RFB is a bullpup and kinda heavy at that. I scope mine and since I am disabled can lealgally hunt from a vehicle. My partner calls that RFB my "stubby" cause I can get it up and out the window a heck of a lot faster than any regular rifle but it is scoped because if the elk are not spooked they are more than 100 yds away.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yea.The RFB is sorta heavy...But as bullpups go..the only bullpup lighter (In 308) is the M17308 (But it has even less of a handguard than the RFB and 2 inches less barrel..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed - the LPVO is the way to go, but with a dot included. I prefer the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 scope with the FireDot Special Purpose Reticle. Although Leupold has discontinued this model, it offers some very similar.models. The FireDot is a red dot at the crosshair junction. At 1.25x, the FireDot is as fast as a conventional red dot. Used as a conventional scope it's a great LPVO.

I have one on my SU16C. It actually helps the balance of such a lightweight rifle. BTW, I use Warne QD rings to facilitate cleaning the SU16C. Return to zero upon remounting is excellent, always within 1.5" @ 100 yards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I ordered a Vortex Razor Gen ii-e 1-6 along with a Badger Ordnance Condition One mount.

I ordered the mount in tan, I'm hoping it looks good with the black RFB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought the Sig Sauer Bravo 5 for my RDB. With only 5x magnification you can still use see close targets with both eyes open and focusing through the eye that is not looking through the scope. But for targets farther away close the eye that is not looking through the scope.

5x prism magnification. good eye relief. great battery life

IMG_1927.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
For close range I keep both eyes open and focus through the eye that is not behind the scope. That is how folks are using the ACOG's and other fixed magnification optics. It superimposes the reticle on the target for you very easily after a little getting used to it. I have had a few ACOG's on SCAR 17 and SCAR 16 in the past and got used to it. Seems natural to me now.

But to be honest, this RDB shoots better than I can see at a distance so I need magnification to be able to see the holes (hopefully touching) at 100 meters.

LPVO are harder to use close range, have a much more restricted field of view, and are larger (that this Sig) on top of these smaller rifles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts