Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted a burriss fastfire 3 red dot on my PMR 30. Now it wont eject and chamber the next round. I read that a red dot on the pmr30 had to be less than 2 ounces. The fastfire is 1.5. Anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
429 Posts
I mounted a burriss fastfire 3 red dot on my PMR 30. Now it wont eject and chamber the next round. I read that a red dot on the pmr30 had to be less than 2 ounces. The fastfire is 1.5. Anyone have any ideas
That weight is usually without mount. As stated in other threads, weigh the red dot and mount and you are probably over 2 oz.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had issues with my PMR when I had a Swampfox Kingslayer mounted using a Tanner mount. Total weight of the mount and optic, to include screws, is 1.8 ounces. I could make it through 4-5 magazines without a good cleaning before I started having issues. You definitely have to keep the pistol clean when using an optic. I ended up taking the Kingslayer off since I don't feel like having to stop to clean the PMR in the middle of a range session after 4 to 5 magazines through it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
As I said, I'm pretty sure that I have read that changing out the recoil spring for the $15 MCARBO ($19 after shipping and taxes) heavy recoil spring helped in this situation. I have not felt the need to try this myself, but it would be a good upgrade whatever the need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had issues with my PMR when I had a Swampfox Kingslayer mounted using a Tanner mount. Total weight of the mount and optic, to include screws, is 1.8 ounces. I could make it through 4-5 magazines without a good cleaning before I started having issues. You definitely have to keep the pistol clean when using an optic. I ended up taking the Kingslayer off since I don't feel like having to stop to clean the PMR in the middle of a range session after 4 to 5 magazines through it.
thanks for the input. Such a shame though. I really like shooting it with the red dot.
As I said, I'm pretty sure that I have read that changing out the recoil spring for the $15 MCARBO ($19 after shipping and taxes) heavy recoil spring helped in this situation. I have not felt the need to try this myself, but it would be a good upgrade whatever the need.
I'm still curious how stronger spring would help. Seems that would work the opposite.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I got my red dot mount from Toby a few days before they shipped to the general public. My pistol was in for updates. I have never had any trouble with the weight of the Burris FFII that is on my PMR 30. I have heard of people having trouble if they tighten the mounting screws to tight. Toby put mine on while it was at Kel Tec. I don't know the spec for torque on the base mounting screws but the screws should be installed with Lock-Tight. You might message Kel Tec about the spec's. My pistol is one of the first 50 made. The only trouble I have had was with the first barrel upgrade. It would not shoot to point of aim at 15 yards after the swap. Sent it back and they said they had gotten a bad batch of barrels and replaced mine a second time and I have been happy since. I don't shoot much now so only have about 3000 rounds through it and don't have any feed trouble since I got the ASL loader and keep the gun clean and oiled. YMMV ;););)

Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
thanks for the input. Such a shame though. I really like shooting it with the red dot.

I'm still curious how stronger spring would help. Seems that would work the opposite.
The MCARBO sight says that the stronger spring helps with feeding problems and that's what I believe I have read about helping with the weight issue.

·
Registered
429 Posts
In fact they state that it improves function when adding RMR sights to gun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We'll since I'm from Missouri, You need to show me. Because the reason I was having feeding issues with the RMR mounted and a dirty pistol was because the slide was not cycling all the way to the rear. A stronger spring will not help in that situation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I actually bought one about a week ago to test out for a customer. Worked alright on the first mag but then wouldn't feed at all on the second. Topped off the second and put the old rod and spring back in and it made it through the whole mag without issues. I also heard from a customer that he was having issues with reliable feeding with a vortex venom. That's the first time I've heard of that happening. Turns out he just installed the heavy recoil spring before mounting the venom. If you are using a kt or tk mount I would check to see if the firing pin is binding up before going any further. Loosening the 4 screws that mount to the slide will more than likely fix the issue.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I actually bought one about a week ago to test out for a customer. Worked alright on the first mag but then wouldn't feed at all on the second. Topped off the second and put the old rod and spring back in and it made it through the whole mag without issues. I also heard from a customer that he was having issues with reliable feeding with a vortex venom. That's the first time I've heard of that happening. Turns out he just installed the heavy recoil spring before mounting the venom. If you are using a kt or tk mount I would check to see if the firing pin is binding up before going any further. Loosening the 4 screws that mount to the slide will more than likely fix the issue.
You are the expert. As I said originally, I thought that I had read a thread that had stated that the heavier spring would somehow offset the extra weight of the red dot. I was just making the suggestion based on that. Then I saw that MCARBO actually stated that it would. But I defer to your expertise because you have much more knowledge than I do. Thanks for stepping in. BJP should probably buy one of your plates and listen to your advice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I read that it was supposed to help too. That's why I got one to try out. I figured it would be a fix for people who wanted something heavier like the Holosun and had cycling issues. The heavier spring helping cycling with a RD sounded weird but I figured for the price it was worth a try. I'll probably just sell mounts for the RMR and things that are lighter from now on. I'm working on mounts for the Romeo Zero and Romeo 1 right now if anyone is looking for an ultra light weight option.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I read that it was supposed to help too. That's why I got one to try out. I figured it would be a fix for people who wanted something heavier like the Holosun and had cycling issues. The heavier spring helping cycling with a RD sounded weird but I figured for the price it was worth a try. I'll probably just sell mounts for the RMR and things that are lighter from now on. I'm working on mounts for the Romeo Zero and Romeo 1 right now if anyone is looking for an ultra light weight option.
Well, now I have some new advise to misrepresent months from now with my oldtimers memory. lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts