Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted a M loc rail on the side of my gen 1 sub 2000. I thought I may need a riser to be able to use the sight (TRS 25). If you have done a similar mount how high a riser did you use to be able to use the red dot reasonably comfortably?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used a 1/2" Quick Detachable picatinney rail mount. Works great and I can easily remove it to be able to fold the rifle up. Makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot too. I will try to take a couple pictures later and post them.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a 1/2" Quick Detachable picatinney rail mount. Works great and I can easily remove it to be able to fold the rifle up. Makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot too. I will try to take a couple pictures later and post them.
Thanks. I mounted mine on the side,kinda, in the vent slots. It took a 1" riser to do the trick. Again ours are different.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Gun Firearm Rifle Machine gun Air gun
A 1" riser on top of a 45 degree side mount is a good way.
Mine is a Gen 1 and the sight is mounted on to a short piece of Pic Rail on the side of the Kel-Tec accessory fore end.
War machine Action figure Fictional character Metal Toy
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera Single-lens reflex camera Airsoft
Gun Firearm Airsoft Trigger Airsoft gun

This places the sight at the correct height when you twist the gun sideways to use the dot and still allows complete use of the irons with the gun strait up and down.

The gun also folds with out any changes.

Best of all worlds IMHO.

If your gun is a Gen 2 look up Art of Golf's thread.

Randy

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 33429 A 1" riser on top of a 45 degree side mount is a good way.
Mine is a Gen 1 and the sight is mounted on to a short piece of Pic Rail on the side of the Kel-Tec accessory fore end.
View attachment 33426 View attachment 33427 View attachment 33428
This places the sight at the correct height when you twist the gun sideways to use the dot and still allows complete use of the irons with the gun strait up and down.

The gun also folds with out any changes.

Best of all worlds IMHO.

If your gun is a Gen 2 look up Art of Golf's thread.

Randy
I mounted a M loc rail on the side of my gen 1 sub 2000. I thought I may need a riser to be able to use the sight (TRS 25). If you have done a similar mount how high a riser did you use to be able to use the red dot reasonably comfortably?

thanks
Hello forum. New member here, but long time Sub2K owner. I was at Kel-Tec today, looking for a "Mlock" rail, like the one you mention. I too have a Gen-1 and would like to use the Mlock mounting accessories, but neither they, nor I have been able to find one (other than on their Gen 2 forend). Can you tell me where you found this rail? I have a Red Lion forend, and in speaking with KelTec today, they are trying to convince Red Lion to add Mlock compatibility, but so far, no luck. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Hello forum. New member here, but long time Sub2K owner. I was at Kel-Tec today, looking for a "Mlock" rail, like the one you mention. I too have a Gen-1 and would like to use the Mlock mounting accessories, but neither they, nor I have been able to find one (other than on their Gen 2 forend). Can you tell me where you found this rail? I have a Red Lion forend, and in speaking with KelTec today, they are trying to convince Red Lion to add Mlock compatibility, but so far, no luck. Thanks
I think he means he drilled holes in his Gen 1 forearm and mounted a Magpul M-lok rail to it. Not a Kel-tec specific version. M-lok rails in different lengths are available in the Magpul section of any well equipped gun store. I would say the Gen 2 forearm will fit your Gen 1, but I see you already have a Red Lion foreend. So I'm guessing you'd like to stick with that. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! FWIW, I found out today that Kel Tec will convert your Gen 1 Sub2k into a Gen 2 for $75! I am a very early owner of the Gen one (waited 9 months to get one!), and have gone too far with mods for this to be of value to me, but my goodness, I spent $100 JUST to have my barrel threaded! They are by far the nicest folks I have ever dealt with, and I stop by just to say hi from time to time, as I live a city away...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry I am a bit remiss in getting the picts out. Anyway on the gen 1 on the top side of the forearm there are several open slots on either side toward the front. I took a 5 slot, I think, M lok rail and lined up the holes with the slots in the forearm. The slots had to be opened ever so little to allow the little tip of the M lock nut to enter the slot snugly. I have to take a bit of the nut off with a sander to make it fit the opening on the inside of the forend. You will see what you have to do. Very little work and very little time. At most 1/2 hour tops. Probably less but in the area. If you are carful the rail will line up straight on the forend and you will be all set.
I have the stock forend not the gen2 or the Red Lion. Don't know the options there but I am sure you can make it work. I think your thinking rail as in the forearm. That is not what I mean. The rail is the actual 5 buck piccatinny M lok slotted piece that mounts to the forearm. I'll get some picts out soon.
My guess is you can get that little M Lok rail at almost any gun shop.
If you have the Red Lion forearm can't you just mount an optic directly to one of their rails without any mods? I only went this way because I am to cheap to go the other. LOL 3wbdriver hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I did. Did I post the info to get you to the youtube video? Nope I didn't here it is. Not the link but you can find it from here. Search for K2000 Optics mount and look for the guy with the cluttered work bench. LOL

Have some picts trying to figure how to get them to post

DIY kel-tec sub2000 side optic mount

Parlusk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your response. I really like the m-lock system, have some of the accessories, and thought I might be able to mount an "m-lock" rail (if it existed) to the side of my Red Lion forend, instead of a picatinny rail. Like you, I anticipate I will "make it work" with a little modification. I will check out your video. I came to the forum a bit arrogant thinking I had THE sub 2k, but have been humbled by all of the cool ideas and applications. I will get around to posting my setup, and look forward to utilizing some of these cool ideas! Anyone who says "but you could have just bought a ????? for the price you have spent on your Sub2k and mods" just does not get it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hope these post

Keep in mind this was NOT my idea. This is not my video. This is where I got the idea. Of course you have to make it work for you with your setup. Actually pretty straight forward.
I'm not as die hard as many. I like it but don't eat and breath it. Reminds me when I had my Jeep Mudder. I use to say "Yea but it's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand". That statement cost me a lot of cash. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Hope these post

Keep in mind this was NOT my idea. This is not my video. This is where I got the idea. Of course you have to make it work for you with your setup. Actually pretty straight forward.
I'm not as die hard as many. I like it but don't eat and breath it. Reminds me when I had my Jeep Mudder. I use to say "Yea but it's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand". That statement cost me a lot of cash. LOL
IIRC, members reported that the gen 1 S2K forend sloped inward, so the accuracy was limited to like 25 or less yards. Which at that range the stock sights work just fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IIRC, members reported that the gen 1 S2K forend sloped inward, so the accuracy was limited to like 25 or less yards. Which at that range the stock sights work just fine.
Idono. Mine is a gen1. I have my red dot sighted in at 50yards and the irons at 25. Not sure what they mean. There may be a difference in how they mounted. All I know is I'm good with the red dot at 50. Haven't shot it further.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You would definitely have to shim the section of pic rail until it is parallel to the barrel or else you'd be limiting your usable sighting distance to one distance as the bullet will cross the line of sight at that distance. The only place it will be dead on is that distance. It's off sideways everywhere else. It wouldn't be too hard to sand an angle on the back side of the Pic Rail Section to match angle on the sides of the KT stock fore end. I think it's about 2-3 degrees or maybe less.

On mine the KT accessory fore end has parallel sides so it was not a problem. This is one of the reasons why I bought it from them. It also looked cooler than the stock Fore End IMO.

It is made from 2 bent sheet metal pieces that fit together really well. And once installed and everything is tightened up properly it makes for a solid platform to mount anything you can think of on it. It also holds the barrel tension nut firmly in place. I've got the sight, a flashlight, and the fore end sling swivel attached to it and nothing moves.

If you look closely at the pics of mine above you will see that I used a section of Pic Rail, a 45* adapter, a 1" riser and then the Bushnell TRS-25 sight atop...

Less than $25 in the mounts for this setup.

More $ in the Jeep!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Randy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.