Recommended Maintenance?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Blarelli, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, I just brought home a new p3at hard chrome, and want to know what do you guys consider regular maintenance for this pistol? Does any of the springs need to be replaced after so many shots?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Field trip and clean before first outing
    while disassembled, look for and clean any rough machining marks
    look for the ejector and besure it does not get lost
    use Grease on rails and center slide/hammer.
    check the extractor and besure it is held in tight, it should slide in and out 0.02" but not flex . the allen is 2mm 5/64 and may be loose.

besure to release the trigger completely, it requires returning to original position (two clicks) to reset. Only releasing one click will drop the hammer from the safety block, not firing the round and require racking slide to reset.

After shooting there will be a ding in the frame rails opossite the extractor, scrape aluminun back flush

read the post about "doesn't like some brand" post 5 has a link to some very detail prep instructions which may not be needed.

Welcome to KTOG and good shooting

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Other clean, lube, shoot, repeat, there is little regular maintenance needed. You might change the recoil springs every 1000 rounds or so.

4. JERRY-S.

JERRY-S. Guest

will standard gun scrubber destroy the frame/grip with occasional use?

i use gun scrubber on all my guns, glocks too.....no problems, but im not sure if the "plastic" used for the 3at is as tough......

thanks.

5. jocko

jocko Guest

NO

6. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Gun Scrubber is actually methylene chloride, a potent solvent most often used in industry as a paint and finish stripper. It will destroy the finish on a wood gun stock, so be careful where you spray it. But it can't hurt a Kel-Tec. I pretty much soak my P32 in it.

7. Goodshot

Goodshot New Member

Dec 11, 2007
  8. jfh

jfh New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I haven't shot my P3AT recently, as I have been concentrating on maintaining proficiency with my S&W J-frame  (scandium, CT grips).  I have run about 125 rounds through the P3AT to gain a feel for it, and I carry it offside hip pocket as a BUG.  

Meanwhile, I've been reading the forum here to learn more about it--cleaning is no issue; I clean my guns after every shooting session, and in the three cleanings so far, I've found no problems.   For maintenance, I routinely use Gun Scrubber and CLP (liquid, not spray).   I do run a stiff nylon bore brush through, and I use any number of bore-cleaning solvents, from No.9 through to the new Elite Bore Gel.  With the factory FMJs I've been shooting, barrel buildup was not an issue; I'll shift to LRN reloads shortly.  

And, when I recently ordered out a SU-16C accessory I put a note in "comments" to please send me some P3AT maintenance items--you know, a couple of ejectors, a spring set, mag catch--that sort of thing.

They came with the order, no charge.  they even included a couple of items I didn't know to ask for, like that spring 'clip.'

And, when I go to the range later today, I'll probably shoot through that recommended 200-round break-in period.  

Jim H.

9. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I originally used Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber. When spraying into the mag well, it melted the plastic mag release mechanism. Kel-Tec repaired the problem. Since this problem I've been using Birchwood-Casey "Synthetic Safe and have no problemswhatsoever!

One of our members suggested using a Non-Chlorinated Break Cleaner. Haven't used it yet, but picked up a can of it at Walmart for a fraction of the cost of the Birchwood-Casey product.

10. JERRY-S.

JERRY-S. Guest

"my" wal-mart doesnt carry the synthetic safe gun scrubber, only the standard kind......

weird how that melted your mag catch but not the rest of the gun......

11. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I used Gun Scrubber spraying out the internals of a Henry AR7 and some got on the stock and my hand,leaving a gray handprint on the stock! :'(

12. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    JERRY-S:

I got the two Super-Walmarts in my area to QUIT carrying the regular Gun Scrubber and to now only carry the Synthetic Safe. It does just as good a job as the "regular," however, is safe on plastic, wood, etc.

I'm sure they can get it for you. The Walmart SKU # for the Birchwood-Casey (Synthetic Safe) is:
    29057 33340.

"My" Walmarts didn't carry ithe Synthetic Safe until I requested them to do so.

Good Luck

Boggs

13. JERRY-S.

JERRY-S. Guest

thanks for the info, will pass that on to them and see..........

14. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Hasn't hurt my mag catch. Very weird.

15. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Since we're on the subject of gun scrubber:

I've used the old Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and found it works great on metal.  Gunk pours off, parts are clean and dry within seconds.

Then I bought the "synthetic safe" stuff and I hated it.  I was about as effective as water, and took forever to dry.

Has anyone had good luck with the new formula?  Did I just get a bum can?  I pretty much swore off this product and decided to go for brake cleaner next time I need a spray.