Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basics are in the title.

Another specific focus is finding a round that PF-9s agree with. Reliable feeding, extraction, ejection, etc.

Thank you, in advance!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Mine likes Speer 'LE' Gold Dot and Bass Pro's Winchester SXZ9, but as you'll see in one of the links below, not Everyone has the same luck.

Since the PF-9 can be ammo selective, so what runs great in one member's might not run well in yours.
Best bet... Buy a box of several brands and see what works best in Yours.

Kel-Tec does not recommend Aluminum Cased (as in Blazer Aluminum) Steel Cased (as in Tula, but I don't know if they even do SD rounds), but try anything Brass (or nickle coated brass) that may work well in your other pistols. Here's a few other SD Ammo threads to check out.

Ammo
Choosing a carry round for my PF9
Ammunition
What Defensive ammo runs well
PF 9 Won't Feed Ranger T 147gr
Spear gold dot issue

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As Robzkt notes, many have had good success with Speer Gold Dot (either standard or the LE version which is the same), but a few have not. Other good choices include Corbon DPX and Hornady Critical Defense. But many PF-9s can be ammo picky, so the best bet is to choose 2-3 good loadings (based upon tests for expansion, etc in short barrels) and see which one(s) work best in your PF-9.

Jim R

·
Registered
27 Posts
My personal favorite is the Federal Hydra-Shok 147 gr. It has excellent pentration. Repeat shots are smooth and controllable. I did have to shim up the rear site to get zero. This gets me right on the 8" gong at 75 yds. A bit extreme, but nice to know I can do it. I've always been completely satisfied with their performance over the past three years. At $21 a box it ain't cheap, but then again my life is worth it.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm thinking the 9mm is powerfull enough already with out having to buy high dollar SD ammo. I'm using rem umc 115gr hps. If i thought i needed a better bullet i'd move up a cal.

I really like you can shoot them for around the same price as fmj practice ammo. Shot thousands of them, everyone has went off, there as accurate as any

·
Registered
589 Posts
I like the Gold Dot 147's the best. Golden saber 147's are not bad either. Havent tried the Hydra but I will if I run across them.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I'm partial to Winchester Supreme PDX-1 ammo. My P3AT, P11, and PF9 all seem to like this kind and it functions well in all three pistols. Even though I've never seen any gel tests with this ammo I know what it did to a deer I shot with my .44mag and it was quite impressive.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There are a number of threads that address this question. Try searching on "ammo selection" or "ammo performance" and scan the threads that pop up.

For my PF-9, the clear choices are the Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr, with the Speer Gold Dot 115 gr right up there with it. Both of these work flawlessly with my gun, and both show consistet terminal performance (combination of penetration and consistent expansion).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
my likes silver tip 115 gr and any 124 gr fmj ammo. the only ammo i have trouble is 147 gr hp. i will get a stove pipe or two out and some nose dives of a box of 50. so i stay with 124 gr and lower now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry Federal Guard Dog, 105 gr (my PF likes'em). 100 rounds through with no challenges. Most importantly each one goes bang!

MJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
in my PF-9 The Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullets always bang, cycle perfectly, and hit hard with rapid mushroom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts