Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
hokiedave92 said:
OK, I've got pocket and IWB holsters for my P-3AT, but no ankle rig.  How about some recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave

I do not have, nor have I used an ankle rig before.   But if you are wanting a good option for when you are in a vehicle or when seated, check out the 5.11 shirt with the 5.11 holster.  It makes for a very nice carry option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have carried my P3AT in an ankle rig before and have even forgot I was wearing it. For my P3At I carried it in an Uncle Mikes. It was very comfortable due to the very light weight of the gun. For even better comfort, try the DeSantis Apache Ankle Rig. I used to carry a Taurus PT-140 in one. The lambskin padding is very comfortable. Both good choices. Just remember to practice your draw. I found it good for driving, but to draw quickly while being mugged would be very difficult.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Heh, I always wondered about trying to draw from an ankle holster while being mugged.  I exercise walk at night, and it seems the back pocket "reaching for my wallet" holster would work best--though I just put my hands in my front pocket if I'm walking up on suspicious individuals (or if a guy(s) crosses to my side of the street as I'm approaching).

Muggings are what I'm most worried about--since many of my friends have been mugged in my area (in Jacksonville, FL, a city that was leading the country in murders for awhile).  It's bad enough that often it's not just one guy--sometimes it's two, and MANY times it's been 3 guys (two with guns drawn), though I don't know if it's the same 3 guys each time, I'm sure it's been them a few times.  Of course, I also just wonder if the gun is a bad thing--if maybe it'd be better to give them the money and HOPE that like 99% of the time, noone gets hurt.  I just don't want to be the 1% (or get hit in the head--as I'm still recovering from a serious concussion).  

·
Registered
249 Posts
Try Ken Null holsters. He's a highly respected holster maker and has been in the business for a number of years. Not quite sure of what his turnaround time is currently, but he's often got one of the shorter wait times in comparison to others.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dont carry it in an ankle hoster unless it is going to be a 2nd BUG.  Or unless you want to pretend you are Sunny Crocket on Miami Vice.

"Just wait a second bad guy, I think my wallet is in my sock. Let me bend over and get it for you".

With all the great carry rigs out there, and unconventional ones too, you can hide that little guy in much better places.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally I've never used an ankle holster for me P3at, and I don't see me spending the money on one for it because I honestly don't think I have any pockets I couldn't fit it in. I occasionally use a Galco Ankle Glove for a Smith 642 I have though. It's nice for that. I myself don't see the need to ankle carry a p3at.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Just some food for thought.

When I first got my P3AT I used to ankle carry a lot (ok, boot carry, but the same idea). Then someone here on KTOG posted a close call about standing between the pump and their car pumping gas and being approached by a ?'able dude. With only a slight bit of thought I then realized that anything but my pocket pretty much was useless at that point and started pocket carrying a lot more and believe I am a lot more prepared by doing so.

Yes, you might be able to draw from a smartcarry or a 5.11 shirt just about as quick as you can from a pocket. And you might be able to draw from an ankle just a tad bit slower than that. BUT only the pocket carry allows you to put your hand on your weapon in a pre-draw 'ready' situation without drawing attention...

Not to say that an ankle holster might not have its place, but its now 2nd or 3rd choice for me.

Due to inflation, my $.02 is now worth $.03 - Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
My grandparents are from the Midwest, so I have a tendency to re-engineer things that have already been made. I purchased a neoprene and plastic ankle holster that had nylon straps with 1.5 inch plastic buckles. On my chicken-legs it felt like my leg was in a vice. I cut off the straps and ran a soft 1" velcro strap through the belt clip. It is very secure and comfortable.

For those who wonder why to ankle carry at all:
I am medium-tall and very thin, even the tiny P3AT looks like a 1911 when clipped to the inside of my belt. I can wear it anywhere that I wear pants. It may be difficult to draw, but at least it is within reach if I have 2 seconds to think about it. The only thing better for me would be to have one of those nifty spring loaded deals like the old-time gamblers carried.

Scotty

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
As one of the House Apologists for Ankle Carry, I missed out on this thread! Shoot!

While I agree with the enormously good points made in regards to the disadvantages of ankle carry, I still carry on the ankle for about 45-50 hours a week...it is my only comfortable option, and it beats not carrying at all, which was my previous modus operandi in that situation. Other times I carry in the pocket or elsewhere. I look at it with the same logic as I do .380ACP...its not the best self defense caliber by any stretch, but its the best available that is feasible in some environments due to its size, so that's why I often carry it. And my khaki dress pants have stupidly shallow pockets, so pocket carry isn't happening!

The P3-AT is an impressively easy gun to carry on the ankle. I have a Fobus ankle holster for it that I wear 8 hours a day and it has never bothered me once. The gun is so light it does not need a calf-strap (which tended to be very uncomfortable to me with other guns) and it doesn't move much at all. It rips out of the holster with ease and does not print with dress slacks. The one major fault I have with it is that it, being a Fobus style polymer holster, can be knocked loose if you are not careful (meaning, your other foot kicks the gun upwards...not a likely movement, but a possible one), and for that reason I am awaiting a Nevada Gun Leather ankle holster with a retention strap. Which, if it is a quality holster, is a steal at $39, in molded leather. But, I've not heard much about them and haven't seen or tested it yet, so I'm taking a bit of a chance.

The Fobus, though, is a great holster...I just wanted a bit of extra security in the form of a retention strap, to make deep concealment ever so slightly deeper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.