Recoil

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ghostrider_23, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ghostrider_23

ghostrider_23 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    What is the recoil like on the Kel-Tec 380???

I have a Kel-tec 32 acp and I love it, I am thinking of getting the Ruger LCP along with it, but wonder how snappy is it being such a small gun and a decent round such as the 380.

Of you that have the 380, how do you like it????

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I love mine.

I've shot 100 rounds at a time, no problem.
    The wife on the other hand, 3 rounds and done.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have both. I can't tell much differance between the two either when in the pocket or shooting :-/

But I carry the P3AT ;)

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Recoil from my P3AT has never been a problem. The addition of grip sleeve, grip pads and mag. finger extension have actually made it a fun gun to shoot. One disclaimer though, I've never shot more than 57 rounds (7 carry plus box of 50) during a practice/shooting session.

Take care...

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I find my P3AT has a snap to the recoil, but nothing surprising... even the wife loves to shoot it. Now if I could just get her to carry it. :-[

6. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Dude, mine recoils so strongly that it freakin hurts to shoot. I don't believe that I've ever shot more than 50 rounds consecutively. Everyone I hand it to at the range is like, "HOLY CRAP - OW". I love the gun and highly recommend it. It won't hurt when it's saving your life.

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Hard not to be sarcastic, I will try to be sweet. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!
    a 380 hurts your hand???
    I shoot this think naked, no boots, innertubes, Dr.scholls pads stuck on, no alaskan shooting gloves....

It's a 380 for crying out loud. There, I was nice.

8. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    ;D ;D ;D...likewise... ;D ;D ;D...My PF9 has much more "kick" not bad compared to my .45 tho.

9. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Dude, there must be something wrong with mine because I'm telling you this thing pounds your finger. I'm a big guy, shoot 12ga trap, lots of handguns, used to recoil. This gun downright inflicts pain. Yea I don't have any grips or anything either.

10. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Pounds your finger? Do you mean trigger break? When the trigger snaps into the frame as/after firing? I don't see how your finger is getting pounded by recoil. Just trying to pin this down.

11. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    If I hold onto the P3AT and don't let it jump out of my grip, my finger never gets hurt. No I don't use grips but the finger extension sure is nice. I would recommend trying it and see if your problem is not solved. Oh and one other thing, due to the size and reach of these little guys I end up pulling the trigger with a different part of my finger (further up the finger) then what is recommended but it works swell for me 10 yards and in, so conventional wisdom be hanged. :p

12. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No, the impact is on the front of the trigger finger from the trigger guard. I think I just have big fingers because I'm the same guy that had to get rid of my new armalaser because I couldn't fit my finger into the trigger frame with the little bit of space it took up. I mean I could fit it in there, but it was not smart for a CCW. It also at times did not allow the trigger to come forward enough to reset for the next shot.

So basically, when I shoot, the recoil slams the inside front of the trigger guard into the skin on the top of my trigger finger between the first and second knuckles. I mean THIS HURTS!

13. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Check it out, no room.
    [​IMG]

With a little pressure on the trigger.
    [​IMG]

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Have you tried shooting with the first "pad" on your finger and not as far in as shown in the picture? I find it makes a huge difference in trigger control.

-Scott

15. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yea but I find that makes subsequent shots more difficult. I generally only shoot the thing to practice and that's usually in bursts. Like I say, it doesn't really bother me that it hurts to shoot because it won't matter when you're in a bad situation. It's def not a range gun for me though.

16. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    You have huge paws! :eek:

Does anyone know if the ole hair-dryer heating and reforming thing will work with the trigger guard? Might could form it out a bit wider maybe? I am pretty sure a soldering iron with something in between to spread and decrease the heat somewhat would. Maybe like a 1/8th inch piece aluminum held with pliers in between the guard and the iron. You would need a vice to hold it...hrm, now that I think about it, your Lady's curling iron could be the perfect tool for the job on a low setting.

Oops, need a disclaimer: This is in no way to encourage you attempting to modify your firearm from it's stock configuration...blah..blah...legal lawyer crap to cover my butt...blah...blah. ;D ::) :-[ :-X

17. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    We're all shocked that you would even suggest tinkering with something as important as a firearm. You should be ashamed of yourself young man :D :p :eek: :cool: :-[ :-X

18. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Wow...not to be rude or anything...you DO have large hangs...I thought I did till I saw those pictures. NOW I understand your problem. My finger only fills half the trigger guard area...when I shoot, I have lots or room for recoil. I can get 3 fingers on the grip also...to your 1 finger. Ever think about moving up to the PF9? Or a 1911??? ;D

19. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  20. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ha ha well I have a hot job and I'm in shorts and a tee shirt most of the time even in winter so I pocket carry. Don't think a 1911 would work but I have been looking at the Taurus Millenium Pro in .45 for IWB carry. :)

Strangely, I can grip the p3at very comfortably despite my big clampers. It's the perfect gun for pocket carry in my opinion. Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I really only mentioned the recoil problem to answer the OP. It's not a big prob since I'm not taking this thing out and pleasure shooting it.

I did look at a PF9 one time. I was prepared to buy before I even walked in the door, but when I put it in my pocket it was just too much gun. The thickness was the main issue (and that with it being the flattest 9 out there). If I step up to a bigger gun I will have to use another carry method and I would have to go IWB because of my wardrobe. I figure if I do that why not go straight to .45...