Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after getting the snot kicked out of me I decided to make some changes.
1st- Extended butt pad by Kel Tec
2nd- Howitzer muzzle break by Hi - Tech Custom
3rd- Cheek pad by M-CARBO
4th- Limb saver slip on recoil pad
Time for the range.
Black Magic Mag slugs--- a nice Thump
3 in mag buckshot--slight thump
Bird shot--very slight shove
Mini's--- did it go off ??
All in all, BIG reduction with magnum loads of any kind. Bird shot and mini's = a lot of fun.
Now it doesn't matter what I shoot, no pain just big time fun.
If you are looking to reduce recoil in your KSG, I highly recommend the Howitzer muzzle break combined with at least the Limb saver recoil pad.
I carry my KSG for bear and dangerous game defense on the job here in Alaska loaded with Black Magic Slugs and Monolit 32 steel slugs. Now practicing with what I carry is a lot less painful, fallow up shots are faster and more accurate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Time for the range.
All in all, BIG reduction with magnum loads of any kind. Bird shot and mini's = a lot of fun.
If you are looking to reduce recoil in your KSG, I highly recommend the Howitzer muzzle break combined with at least the Limb saver recoil pad.
I carry my KSG for bear and dangerous game defense on the job here in Alaska loaded with Black Magic Slugs and Monolit 32 steel slugs. Now practicing with what I carry is a lot less painful, fallow up shots are faster and more accurate.
a man after my own little clogged heart. monolit 32 steel slugs.

my theory with recoil is a lot like your prom date with your uncle Charlie... just let it happen.. it's over quickly.... hehehehehejehwheheeeee...:yum:

Reactions: Susie Q

·
Registered
75 Posts
Time for the range.
I just bought my 1st KSG, will pick it up in 7 days and it's good to find a recent post on this topic.

I've done alot of reading and settled on the Kel-Tec extended pad, Pachmayr Decelerator pad, MCARBO Kydex Cheek Rest Recoil Pad and Midwest Industries M-LOK light mount/handstop (because I don't like the feel of AFGs, think a VFG would bother my wrist and I like the large size of the MI stop.)

I'm still on the fence about a muzzle brake because I haven't seen a convincing test, but I would like to reduce buckshot recoil if it doesn't affect operation or spew crap out of the compensator.

I also want a taclight, which is the easy part.

The one thing, beside the muzzle brake, that stumps me are sights. I prefer iron sights, but as I look down the rail it seems they'll have to be pretty tall, even taller than the MBUS sights on my AR. Plus, I think I'd prefer open sights. I haven't found the info I need yet.

This gun is for fun, rattlesnakes and home defense. A big consideration is my age (60s) and slender girly wrists. This is my 5th shotgun and I want it to be as sweet to me as possible. I previously owned a Beretta Silver Pigeon II O/U, Beretta A300 camo semi-auto, 1970's 870 Police Magnum, and my current 870 is a Home Defense in a Magpul stock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Suzi Q, I find that the biggest way to reduce recoil in shotguns is to use reduced recoil ammo.

These reduce the recoil by reducing the number of pellets, reducing the powder charge, or both.

These are still very effective at home defense ranges, and a lot of police departments are using it due to smaller and female cops, so effectiveness is well proven.

To get the most reduction in a HD shotgun your options of better recoil pads and a cheek pad for the receiver, along with reduced recoil shells should eliminate the need for a muzzle brake.

Muzzle brakes are at their best in high velocity rifles, and many people don't seem to get much from shotgun brakes.
However, if you do get a noticeable reduction with one, your additions and reduced recoil ammo should make it down right comfortable.

I'd recommend adding the recoil pads and cheek pad then try it with some reduced recoil shells and see how that works for you.

The Aquila and Federal mini-shells are noted for being very comfortable to shoot, and standard 2 3/4 inch reduced recoil usually are generally the same feeling.
Check the weight and muzzle velocity, and when you get a reduced load at or under 1200 fps, it's probably going to feel okay.
The key is velocity and weight of the pellets. The lower those are the less recoil you get, no matter how long the shell is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dfariswheel, I really appreciate your advice, thank you.

After seeing this notice on the front of the manual (photo) and watching strong men get hammered by the KSG, I wanted to ID every recoil reduction option. Any changes that help in the net are good, unless there are other undesirable effects.

As long as I can kill rattlesnakes and defend from an attacker, I'm good to go. At the ranges I'd be shooting I can easily put shots into center mass and head. I'd like to get the KSG even softer than my 870 if possible, but rounds must be effective.

I welcome any specific brand/type ammo recommendations. I'm running very low on what I have for my 870, so now is a good time to change up for the KSG.

For self defense I have:
︎Sellier & Bellot 2-3/4 #4 buckshot

For snakes and targets I have:
︎Estate 2-3/4 Super Sport Target Load, 7-1/2, 1 oz shot
︎Winchester Super X 2-3/4 Game & Target 7, 1 oz shot
︎Federal Game Load, 2-3/4, 6, 1 oz shot

·
Registered
73 Posts
Everywhere I see this discussion come up, these are regarded as the lightest-kicking 12 gauge birdshot loads available (not counting mini-shells, which pretty much take a 12 gauge down to a .410 shotgun) , although if the specs on that Estate ammo is correct, it should be the lightest kicking load you currently have. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-aa-low-recoil-low-noise-target-loads-shotshells
26 grams is between 15/16 oz and 7/8 ounce.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to check a local anmo store with the biggest inventory and see what they have. Wish I could buy on the Internet, but in California.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My local Walmart carry the Winchester low noise/low recoil ammo, and it's not much worse then a 22 rifle.
Even in the current ammo buying panic they seem to always have the low noise/low recoil ammo and plenty of standard dove and quail light loads that aren't much worse for recoil.

Many Kel-Tec shotguns had extraction problems with cheap ammo, ESPECIALLY the bulk pack Winchester ammo sold by Walmart.
The problem is that Kel-Tec parkerizes their barrels, inside and out.
The roughness of the parkerized finish inside the chamber caused cheap steel head ammo to stick in the chamber.
Steel and aluminum cased ammo doesn't expand and contract as well as brass so it can cause extraction problems.

The fix is to simply polish the chamber and if desired, the bore while you're at it.
Polishing the chamber and bore smooths up extraction and makes the chamber and bore easier to clean.

There are posts here on how to polish the chamber and bore with a shotgun cleaning rod, an electric drill, a worn shotgun bore brush and some 0000 steel wool..... OR a dowel rod split down the end for a couple of inches and wrapped with fine abrasive wet or dry sand cloth, and chucked in a drill.

This isn't a huge job and only takes about 2 to 3 minutes once you have everything set up.
Any gunsmith worthy of the name can do it for a small charge.

In most all cases after at least the chamber polish extraction problems stop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only ammo I can get at Walmart here are BBs and pellets. It's ridiculous. We had one day recently when we could buy ammo on line again after a court decision then, wham, they put a stop to it. I bought as much 9mm as I could afford.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If it's polished and not re-parkerized, won't it rust?
You don't polish it enough to strip off the parkerization, just bring it to a dull shine so there's no roughness to the surface. Parkerized surfaces end up with that characteristic texture the outside of the KSG/KS7 barrels have.

And honestly for target shooting mini-shell slugs if you want to practice pinpoint accuracy, otherwise the low-noise-low-recoil #7/8/9 (whatever they brought in that week) 2.75" Winchester is what my KS7 eats on the weekly for practice and that's plenty for HD ranges out to about 25 yards. If a snake is further away than 25 yards they're not a concern to me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
considering the KS7 is lighter than the KSG, recoil pads of some sort on it really makes a difference. Especially with the hard texture and sharp corners of the OEM butt. I made my own and extended it down a bit so i got a higher hold that made my sight alignment work much better using the handle sight

·
Registered
436 Posts
Any plain steel gun barrel WILL rust under the right conditions.
That's why you need to clean the barrel after firing and put some sort of rust preventing lubricant in the bore after it's clean.

Happily shotgun barrels are less sensitive to having lube in the barrel and chamber so you can safely fire it even with a light coat of lube in it.
After cleaning the bore with bore solvent, just put a little lube like CLP Breakfree on a shotgun patch or bore mop and run it through the barrel a few times to deposit a light coating.
Then run a clean patch through in one pass and that will remove the excess and leave a thin rust preventing layer.

Even a parkerized surface WILL rust if not maintained properly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Based on what I've read to date and good folks' replies, I'll try both a Romeo 5XDR and Holosun 510C on the KSG, without iron sights. I'll see how I do with the optic energized, looking though the deenergized optic and just pointing and shooting. If I can do as well as I do with my 870 bead, it's good enough. I don't get (yet?) making good use of AR iron sights on a shotgun. Maybe I'll put the spare optic on my AR, which just has MBUS sights on it now. Win-win.

Going to skip a laser and mount a flashlight, probably an Inforce WML Gen 2 on the left side of the MI MLOK light mount/hand stop. I've got the WML on my AR and 870 and I'm used to it.

I asked a local gunsmith about a "fluff and buff." He asked how old the gun is. I told him brand new and he said to see if I have a problem first.

Four days and a wake up and she's out of jail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm scratching my head about the Howitzer70. Some people assert that a muzzle break can't make a significant difference on a shotgun, citing the laws of physics. The only video comparison demo I found prompted me to make a video of it in slow motion to analyze. I still don't know. I think I see a difference, but there are too many variables. I put the slo mo snippet on my little YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8GN86BrqUG-mUkzwP2ITnA

1 - 20 of 83 Posts