Recoil tube can't be removed

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by jst4kix, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    The lock tab on the recoil tube is approximately 1/16" too tall to slide back into the receiver. While I'm know the weapon can be returned to Kel-Tec and corrected, has anyone else had the same problem? If I thought it could be done without voiding the warranty or creating a larger problem, I would use jeweler's files to relieve the area around the tab. I am attempting to contact Kel-Tec, but the phone has been busy most of the day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005
    Thats a first I have heard of this, maybe wait awhile and see if ktwm see this thread and get his input. I would imagine that this could be easily fixed, but would still like to hear what ktwm says! Great pics BTW, makes it very easy to see what you are talking about.

BamX2

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I had this EXACT same problem with my new SU-22 (serial number in the low 80s). I took almost exactly the same pictures and emailed them to ktwm. He responded quickly with some friendly advice that I don't think applied to my particular situation.

I don't think he'd mind me sharing his off-list comment.

I had noticed the phenomenon he described, and it only caused me the briefest of confusion, but I think my SU-22 was suffering from some true interference between the receiver and the tab on the recoil tube.

It looks like it wouldn't be possible to assemble the SU-22 with that much interference, but it shipped as an assembled weapon and not a kit, so somebody managed to assemble them. Maybe there's some trick I'm missing, but I had to force mine to get it apart with some temporary bending of some parts.

I used a needle file to remove a little material from the top of the rounded area on the receiver so the tab clears the receiver and now it works very well, both assembly and disassembly.

I knew I was buying the first 100 of a new weapon, so I expected a few minor teething pains, and this has been well within my expectations. I also wonder if there isn't some way to fill the space above the chamber so spent shell cases don't jam in there. I expect a few minor improvements as the SU-22 is produced in volume. Look at what a complete dog the M-16 was when introduced, and how nice those are today.

4. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    This one is in the 130's, so "growth: problems are no big deal. As you said, the M-16 was hardly a masterpiece when it showed up in SE Asia - I know as I used one there from '66-68. Just think of how many diapers our Moms changed before WE got it right...........

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    i would go at it with a needle file by hand taking an a$$hair off at a time, until it JUST fit.

not too much, not too little.

teething pains are fine.

6. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Problem resolved. A jewelers file and some 1500 grit sandpaper gave the following results:

[​IMG]

The file was used - carefully - with the tube in place; finished with a small round dowel and 1500 grit paper with the tube and forestock removed.

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    That's a lot better than the job I did. I just gouged out some plastic with a screwdriver.

Just kidding. My BEFORE pictures looked exactly like yours, and so does my AFTER picture.

8. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    There should be enough play up and down in the recoil tube, to allow it to be pushed down, so it can be pulled back. Maybe there is some plastic flashing that gets in the way, or the bolt to spring guide attachment might be a little tight.

If de-burring or filing that edge did the trick, great.  I'll look into that area of the reciever to see if something is wrong.

since this is the SU-22 it's possible that the forend is actually pushing the spring tube up, makeing it catch that edge.

9. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    There was absolutely no downward give on the recoil tube with the forend in place. My first thought was to simply push it down and pull the bolt back. It could simply be the fit of the forend on this particular weapon or perhaps not too many folks have taken the weapon apart yet. It's still a great weapon at a great price point.

10. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    +1

I tried to make it work for quite awhile, figuring I was missing some trick because it'd be difficult to assemble if there wasn't some trick. I finally gave up. Maybe I was missing something but it didn't seem complicated enough to have some tricky method of disassembly. The file fixed it and all is now well.