Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

recoil springs

728 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JFB 
Toast....

It appears the spring was not seated at one time. I make a point to "screw" the outer spring into the slide. this helps ensure the closed coil is firm agaisnt the bottom of the tappered hole and clears interweaving of the inner coils.

If the springs were seated every time, then the available space at full recoil is less than the solid lenght of the springs. I also verify my slide makes contact with the front of the frame every time I reassemble. when checking, you can use enough force to jump a coil, but I can feel that when it happens.

once springs take a set from jumping a coil like yours, it becomes importaint to reinstall the kink the same way it was formed, since the kink will require more radial clearance when it is compressed and it will need be in the place where it found it origianlly.

You might want to check and see if the space available in your frame is enough.

to check this, you want to see if the inside of the slide makes contact with the frame. to see this, first check when you know it is. put the slide on with out springs. hold gun up with light behind. looking between grip and frame, pull back slide and get where you can tell when slide hits the frame.

now try with springs. a gap less than the thickness of one coil will cause the spring to take a little crook, more than a coil will cause a coil to jump over a coil and make a kink.

I filed the ends of mine so that the coil end was flat, this removed about 1 coil worth of wasted spring material

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.