recoil springs

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Swissyankee, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Hey guys I shot about 250 rounds thru my 380 last night went to clean everything up today and noticed the one spring doesn't look so good. What do you guys think? Is it toast? It's the spring on the left and it's not broke just mashed together. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Toast....

It appears the spring was not seated at one time. I make a point to "screw" the outer spring into the slide. this helps ensure the closed coil is firm agaisnt the bottom of the tappered hole and clears interweaving of the inner coils.

If the springs were seated every time, then the available space at full recoil is less than the solid lenght of the springs. I also verify my slide makes contact with the front of the frame every time I reassemble. when checking, you can use enough force to jump a coil, but I can feel that when it happens.

once springs take a set from jumping a coil like yours, it becomes importaint to reinstall the kink the same way it was formed, since the kink will require more radial clearance when it is compressed and it will need be in the place where it found it origianlly.

3. I say you need some butter and a bit of jelly to go with those springs, becuase they are indeed TOAST!

4. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks JFB. You're right I never screwed it into the slide, just really shoved it in the hole. :p Lesson learned and that won't happen again once I get a new pair. I contacted KT to see if they'll send me (doubt it) a new pair over here in Switzerland. CS over here in Europe is pretty bad in every catagory that's why I don't wish to contact any gun Shops. They'll be able to get me a pair I'm sure but I have no patience to wait up to six months for a pair of tiny springs. Last night I tried to bend and twist it back the way it was and it looks ok for now.  :cool:

5. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I had similar problem accept that my springs flared on both ends. I tried to make sure that the springs were in the slide hole. I also requested another set from Kel-Tec and they showed up within 4 days along with two other items I requested. Good luck. Tom :)

6. poolpedler

poolpedler New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Kel Tec has great service...even better when you live where they are made. People at the factory were top notch.....just call emthey will help!

7. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks guys! I put it all together after twisting the spring back but didn't try it out yet at the range or a BG ;D. I racked the slide a bunch of times and it felt much better but who knows it could all be in my head, the real test will be when I get a chance to shoot it.

I emailed KT but didn't hear from them yet, I'll give them a few more days and if I don't hear anything from them I'll give them holler on the tele. I'll be surprised if they'll send it overseas but you never know. :cool:

8. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    if for some reason they wont work with you, reply to this thread and i can ask them send it to me and i'd be happy to forward it to you. two springs would easily fit in an envelope. i think i can afford the 75 cent postage fee to send it to switzerland so as to save you all that wait :)

9. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks Joje that's mighty nice of you! I'll keep you updated. :cool:

10. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    An update on my recoil-springs. I didn't here from KT for about a week after I emailed them so I gave them a call today. I asked if they'll send me some recoil springs for my P380 overseas and the guy said "no problem". That was my first experience with KT and it was a good one. I'll let yinz all know when they get here.   :cool:

11. not2clvr

not2clvr New Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Thanks for the update

12. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I asked if they'll send me some recoil springs for my P380 overseas and the guy said "no problem"

good - thats what i figured they'd say

13. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Well my new recoil springs came today! That was (excuse my French) Damn fast! Ain't they purtty?

[​IMG]

14. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007
    I replaced my original springs with the strongest spring Wolff makes.

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    You might want to check and see if the space available in your frame is enough.

to check this, you want to see if the inside of the slide makes contact with the frame. to see this, first check when you know it is. put the slide on with out springs. hold gun up with light behind. looking between grip and frame, pull back slide and get where you can tell when slide hits the frame.

now try with springs. a gap less than the thickness of one coil will cause the spring to take a little crook, more than a coil will cause a coil to jump over a coil and make a kink.

I filed the ends of mine so that the coil end was flat, this removed about 1 coil worth of wasted spring material