Recoil springs?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Reeks, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I took my gun apart last night to clean it and I noticed the springs aren't straight any more (aren't straight as in crooked and bent). I have about 600 down the tube. Does KT send you springs free or do you have to pay? Are there better springs out there to buy, like Wolfe (Wolf?)? I would like to replace mine and my GFs. If there is a cost, what does KT want for them? Thanks.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Call KT ask for the service dept. Let them know how the springs are bent and I'd bet they will send you a free replacement set. Ask them for some for you GF's also, I don't see any reason to buy aftermarket springs if your weapons run well with the factory springs. Just make sure you call, KT is well known to be hit or miss with e-mail.

CJ

3. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Sounds good. Like you said, there is no use of paying for aftermarkets if you can get them free :) I will give them a call. Thanks.

4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Common problem. There was a thread on this in the last 15 or so days. There is not a problem with the springs being bent, although KT may send you a new set, probably no charge. My springs were bent after my first session at the range and still do not have a problem, its been a year or better. Good Luck. Tom :)

5. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I think slightly bent springs are normal especially the inner one. Mine are and they work perfect. Its good to have a spare on hand though. I have a spare part for everything in my P-3AT except the barrel, slide and frame.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yup, it's normal. Mine are bent as well but it doesn't affect reliability. Shoot, clean, lube, repeat.

7. Mine are ALL bent to heck and back, with hundreds of rounds down range throught the oldest 3AT. Not a problem at all. It is very normal. If you are concerned, call KT SERVICE and let them know you are concerned.

They don't have to.......but they probably will ship you free ones.

When JFB picks this thread up, he will give you a VERY detailed metalurgical report and within .0000001 of an inch explain how and why they deform. (Just kidding JFB.)

JFB really does understand the details of these guns.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    FUNNY....

Yes they deform

Nobody makes a better spring than KT (do a search, there are pages here and over at rugerforum)
    I've pursued a radical design/material but not able to get any thing better in the space provided. and then consider KTs are a dollar verses $10 for a (lesser force) Wolf that fatigues quickly

Some little things to ensure maximun spring life would be to ensure the springs are seated into the slide by twisting outer CCW and thus screwing it into the hole and clearing any interleaving of the coils with the inner. the KT springs can be improved slightly by grinding the closed ends to get them flat.

adding the recoil rod guide bushing (with verification and ensuring spring solid lenght is not excessive) could make them perform slightly better

another point of spring interferance would be the head of the recoil rod wearing into the frame and thus allow the outer to rub against the bottom of the frame that little bit near the head

9. enigma4you

enigma4you New Member

I asked this question to Bill at KT, he said that its fine and they dont need to be replaced but every 6k rounds or so. Well thats kinda what he said, He scares me a little, I dont know what he looks like but I have a picture in my head of some dude a little older than moses that God calls Sir.