Recoil springs question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gbarber010, Nov 9, 2010.

1. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    I've noticed after my first range trip with the new P3AT that after 75 rounds,(performed flawless 100 %) that my recoil springs are both bent on one end, about 1/3 ways from the end. Is this normal or should I replce the springs with new ones. Wondering if this could cause the springs to get stuck together when functioning. Thanks

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    We should get other replies on this but I wanted to include my 2 cents.

I had the same problem. I called Kel-tek. They told me that the bent springs would eventually break. They sent me two new springs, no charge. I haven't changed them yet because I am still confident in the springs. Maybe after a few more range trips. I examine mine closely during cleaning. All seems okay for now.

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

No reason for them to develop a bend unless you were careless installing them. Anyway, I rub a wee bit of grease on mine to aid in function and perhaps keep them from binding.

4. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Both of the springs in my gun have a slight curve in them also. I have about 250 rounds thru the gun and have no problems to date. I always make sure they have some lubrication on them and they are not interlocked during assembly. My feeling is the springs are kept in line by the rod when installed so its not a problem, but something I'll  keep checking during disassembly and cleaning.

There are some other threads on this topic If I remember, something to do with the direction the springs are wound and your same concern of the springs being bent.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The spring bend is NORMAL. I have a P3AT and PF-9. Both have bent springs. The new ones develop this bend as part of the break in. It has been discussed numerous times. KT uses small springs that are rated to last only 2000 rounds unlike other gun makers whose springs last 6K-10K. They use these springs because these guns are sold at such a low price point. If you want springs that will last longer try Wolff springs. As for me, I just call when mine wear out and get a new set for free.

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Top row: New 'Kel-Tec' P-3AT recoil springs
    Middle row: New 'Wolf brand' Kel-Tec P-32 recoil springs
    Bottom row: 900 rounds on 'Kel-Tec' P-3AT recoil springs

In this photo the two bent springs at the bottom had over 900 rounds shot with them and still worked fine. Those same springs after about 200 rounds had a much more pronounced bend, but as I continued to use them, they straightened out a bit on their own.

They were still working fine at about 2000 rounds, but I replaced them anyway - didn't want to push my luck!

[​IMG]

Bobo

7. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    Thanks for the reply. Im used to glock springs.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Kel-tec uses very high quality Silicon springs, not the cheap piano wire that some makers use.  They will last a long time.  You will find folks recommending that you change them more often, but KT recoil springs can go 2000+ rounds. And no, the little curves and such that they may develop over time have no effect. The guide rod keeps the straight during operation.

9. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I used Wolff for a while and my opinion is that KT lasted longer and that's what I'm using now. I have had excellent experiences with Wolff on several other guns.

10. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    plus the kel-tek springs are free

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's the best argument I've ever heard for using the factory springs. ;)

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    P11 and P40 recoil & mag springs from Wolf have always been very effective. For years, we begged Wolf to make extra-power springs for the P3AT.  Now that they have, no one is terribly impressed with them and their quality seems a bit iffy. :-/  

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would not say the quality, but the engineering and aplication.

Most gun manufactures keep the spring stress lower, but require a bigger gun to accomudate the bigger springs, so the life of the springs are greater than the ten thousand cycle operating range. to reduce the size of the pistol to absolute minimun, it appears KT, even with using the best spring material wire for thier springs, the spring design (pitch, coils, etc) have the applied stresses over the limits that others design to, but still in the thousands of cycle life range.

for anyone to design a spring with "more power" the spring stresses are farther increased and the cyclic life is reduced significant. Thus with out coming up with a more radical design than the coil, there will be a trade off in life to get an increased power spring.

as far as real world experances, the Wolffs I have installed had a signifcant reduction after a few rounds to reduce their force below the advertised, but with since I don't shot much now, they still are greater force than original.

Now to clarify, the ONLY reason I have the Wolffs installed was in the intrest to review them (but I sure wish I had my money back) ;)

If any one cares, the spring calculations are listed in the FAQ/VIP section

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I wasn't necessarily referring to the quality of the materials, but to the quality of the overall product effectiveness. From your work, I have seen little evidence that they are superior to the stock (free) springs from KT, and certainly not after having fired relatively few rounds. Kel-tec springs seem to keep their strength and last for a long time. These Wolf springs appear to be "extra-strength" only right out of the box. ;D

15. BillinPittsburgh

BillinPittsburgh New Member

May 25, 2008
    Both the original factory inner recoil spring and the inner spring from the 13 lb. Wolff springs I currently use in my P3AT quickly developed a bend.

With the factory springs, the gun jammed 5 times out of 100 rounds.  With the heavier Wolff springs, the gun is completely reliable.

Both of my Kel-Tecs (P-32 and P3AT) run significantly better with recoil springs 2 lb. heavier than the ones that came from the factory.

I change my recoil springs at least approximately every 2,000 rounds in ALL my semiauto pistols.  With pocket pistols, which often put a lot of energy into a small package, I often change them well below 1,000 rounds.  These springs take a beating in any gun, and also protect the frame from damage from recoil.  It is cheap insurance to ensure that your gun works when you need it to work.

16. mjoplin

mjoplin New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this and it is somewhat normal. I just put the first 100 rounds through my new P3AT yesterday and encountered the same bend in both springs. The gun had been cleaned prior to the first range trip and the springs were well oiled and straight. Based upon what I am reading here I'm not going to get too worried about it. Am beyond pleased with my new purchase!