Recoil Spring Guide...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by alioop, Aug 28, 2008.

1. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I have a concern with the recoil spring guide. The guide is 'nail' like and the 'head' catches on the barrel.
    Item #195 in the Kel-Tec P3AT owner's manual. After only 100 rounds through this gun I'm seeing wear that bothers me. When I first noticed it, I thought one side of the guide should be that way - flat -in order to catch on the barrel. Now I'm seeing wear on another side.
    What happens when the 'head' wears out completely? Should it wear this easily after only 100 rounds? This really worries me to no end. Should I contact the Kel-Tec people? Or is this of no concern?

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wear on the side that us "up" against the barrel is common. 2 schools of thought on this:

1) make sure you always put it back the same way so the flat spot stays up against the barrel and it only wears there.
    2) keep rotating it so it wears even all the way around.

Either way the wear doesn't seem to get to where it is too bad in most guns in under 1000 rounds and if/when you get close to that call momma, tell them you have 1000 rounds through it and your guiderod head is severely worn so can you get another. Might ask for a new set of springs while you are at. 3-5 days later USPS will have a small padded envelope in your mail.

OR, buy an extra set now as backups and then us the above to replace your backups as needed.

-Scott

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ;)

then it is no longer wear but an in place maching operation to provide the exact clearance required for proper operation ;D

4. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Gentleman, thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep a track on the number of rounds I put through this 380.

A follow up question if you would permit me: Will it ever come to the point where the gun will flying apart? After all, there is not that much head on that guide to begin with.

Thanks.

5. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Will I have this p3at fly apart if the head wear is too severe?

Thanks

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    hopefully you are checking your firearm regularly and after every range session, and will notice if you THINK that is an issue. at that point, call the mothership while taking the spare out of the gun safe and using it for carry duty.

;)

7. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    No.
    If the guide rod fails then the gun will simply not cycle properly and you will be out of service till you get a new one.

8. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Thanks. This makes me feel better. Much appreciated.

9. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have head wear in three different spots on my guide rod as I was not putting it back in the same way every time. I called Kel-Tec and asked for a guide rod, recoil springs, frame pins, assembly pin and assembly pin spring. I had my credit card in hand fully expecting to pay for them. The guy on the other end said we will get it in the mail to you. No charge! Four days later I had my parts.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Wow! Good to know. While I've not put that many rounds through this little beauty, this makes me feel better about both the P3 and the Kel-Tec company.

Thanks.

11. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have 162 flawless rounds through mine, 62 of them hollow points. I'm still using the old guide rod, but I think before the next time I go shoot I will put in the new guide rod just to make sure it works good. Then make sure I put it back in the same way every time.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Scan this forum for guide rod failures. You'll be hard pressed to find one. Over a quarter million P3s made. ;)