Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
nope, but if I'm going to have problems I might as well have them close to home so shipping isn't an issue. I do think my RFB will function well enough for me as long as I can order the right parts the first time. If I have to switch guns entirely there is something to be said for the AR platform, at least you can get parts no matter where you go. But I spent 20 years with an AR type weapon issued to me and really wanted to play with different toys now haha.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
So took the RFB out shooting again today. had local purchased AR-15 gas rings installed on the new piston. Got the gas adjusted nicely, then a bout 20 rounds later the RFB started destroying the rings. Pulled the rings back off and adjusted the gas again and works like it did before, basically gas setting is at B+0 to run 145gr Wolf. But thats better than the problems with the gas rings getting destroyed, basically requiring me to force the piston back into the gas block to disassemble then to tap it back out with a hammer and screwdriver to get it out to remove the rings. The rings were bent all around the piston from what looked like shearing action as the piston cycled. Kel-Tec Piston still hasn't arrived BTW. Anyways got everything back to working so I hope it will stay that way.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Considering the number of pistons I have had problems with I am starting to think my gas tube is on the tight side, perhaps even out of tolerance a bit. The piston that cam with the gun when I bought it was very tight fit, and was over-gassed even with the cap completely removed. I bought a suppressor piston (as a spare to modify in case my plan for the original piston didn't work) and it wouldn't even fit inside the tube until I sanded the gas checks down. which I also did to the original piston, This made the original piston work great until the topic of this post happened and I bought this piston because it has a nipple to hold the spring on. Now I am considering putting a divot in the original piston to hold the spring in place.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Probably should, but I have I have a strong desire to tinker with things that don't work like they should. Since I bought the RFB for entertainment, I suppose tinkering with it serves as nearly as good entertainment as shooting it without any problems ever occurring. I try to post here to get advice on what has worked for others, as well as providing others with information on what has worked for me and what hasn't.

I recently had this exact problem with my RFB. I sent it back to KelTec & they replaced my Bolt Carrier, Bolt, Extractors, Barrel Assembly & polished my feed ramp.

I have a second Gen RFB, the KelTec Gunsmith who worked on it suggested my rifle works with the piston in the #11 position from closed.

I haven't taking it to the range since getting it back, but KelTec advised that they've put all of their updated parts on the rifle and said it should now run flawlessly.

I'm really eager to see if this rifle can run without any failures, if not I'm putting it on the market & buying myself an FN Scar 17H!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.