Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go tearing the recoil springs apart, has anyone else had this happen to their recoil spring, and if so were you able to fix it without sending it back to Kel-Tec? Went out to shoot today and this happened on the first round. the spring is bent near where it contacts the gas piston. Looks like it slipped off the piston during recoil and then got pinched when the carrier slammed back home.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the diagrams of the earlier RFB's also show that the gas piston needs to be turned to remove it. My understanding is that the spring I am describing is for piston retention when gas throws the piston violently rearward, throwing the bolt carrier group to the rear. On the earlier RFB's the piston is kept from flying out of the weapon by the locking mechanism that requires it be twisted to remove it. Mine is kept from flying out by the tension in the spring. The damage to my spring could have been avoided by a small pin or pocket on the piston face (the part that touches the bolt carrier) to keep the spring from sliding off the piston and getting pinched when the BCG returns to battery. I am still waiting on the spring from Kel-Tec, seriously considering modifying the piston to keep the spring from getting pinched again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just took a look and measured where the rod inside the spring ends and how far the piston travels before it has traveled far enough to fail to cycle fully. If I were to remove the damaged spring and fire the weapon there is enough room for the piston to leave the gas tube and cock at an angle. Basically all of the gas checks on the piston leave the gas tube but the shaft of the piston stays inside the gas tube. So the piston wouldn't fly away, but has more than enough room to get cocked at an angle that may cause damage to the piston and/or the gas tube. But certainly it would prevent the BCG from returning to battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The damage to my spring could have been avoided by a small pin or pocket on the piston face (the part that touches the bolt carrier) to keep the spring from sliding off the piston and getting pinched when the BCG returns to battery.
My recently purchased new RFB (February 2017) has the second generation gas system with the same spring setup you have and there is a pin on the face of the piston to properly locate the spring against the face of the piston.

No idea why yours doesn't. How old is the gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kel-Tec should be able to provide the correct piston to you. The picture I posted is from their web site parts section. Also. be advised that the part number for your damaged spring in my manual is incorrect. It is shown as 337, as are the much longer recoil springs. The correct number for the spring you need is 337S.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
337S is not a part number I have found anywhere. Not in manual or online. thanks for that info though, because I am pretty frustrated at this point with how disorganized Kel-Tec's part identification and ordering system is. I am used to having every possible variation on every part having a unique identifier and having at least an online database that includes all of those parts with descriptions and preferably pictures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, starting to feel like I am going to have to buy enough parts to make a whole new rifle to get one that works reliably. I will try to make it work for a bit longer though. If I can make it work great, if not I will have a really expensive paper weight. lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's not that bad, the pistons are the only "variety" piece I know of. I think the bolt and extractors also went through a few early early revisions. You "just" (unfortunately) have to find a piston your rifle likes. Take comfort in the fact that the FAL, of which the RFB is a kissing cousin, is about as reliable as an AK-47 or SKS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the new spring thats supposed to ship today also slides off and gets bent, I will purchase a new piston and another spring. If that fails I figure I will figure something else to do with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
337S is not a part number I have found anywhere. Not in manual or online. thanks for that info though, because I am pretty frustrated at this point with how disorganized Kel-Tec's part identification and ordering system is. I am used to having every possible variation on every part having a unique identifier and having at least an online database that includes all of those parts with descriptions and preferably pictures.
Until a few weeks ago, 337S was offered on the parts site for $2.50ea. It is now part of this assembly:

https://www.keltecweapons.com/index.php/quickview/index/view/path/rfb-336-recoil-spring-guide-766

But I'm pretty sure they will send you just the 337S spring alone, but you will just ruin it again without the correct piston.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Asked Kel-Tec about it and ordered one of those to try as well. Who knows, maybe the overhaul of my gas system will improve my magazine reliability :) If not I guess I can still use it as a paper weight haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RFB-336LG was one of the parts I ordered a week ago. The order came in friday. That assembly was missing from my package though. This morning Kel-Tec emailed saying it was going to be shipped today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fedex delivered the new piston today, fits fine but I haven't shot it yet. It is in fact the one with the little pin on the face. I am still waiting on the Spring assembly I ordered a week and a half ago, didn't make it into the package with the rest of that order, and was supposed (according to Kel-Tec) to have shipped the day before my new piston did.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.