Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today and all went well at first. Then on one of the trigger pulls the trigger felt VERY gritty and while the hammer dropped it didn't fire and had a VERY light primer strike. I took it apart and looked and the only thing that seemed different was the "recoil spring catch" on the front of the slide is now quite loose. I reassembled it and it sits at an angle now and isn't flush with the slide. I did shoot 3 more mags through it without further troubles but since this is my CCW gun I would hate to be without it, but of course I'd also want to know everything is good. Does this need to be sent back to Kel-tec??? ???

If it matters, it is a first generation model with black frame and blued slide; serial # H6Yxx.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The light strike may have been caused by not allowing the trigger to go fully forward and reset before pulling it again.  That's likely the case since you said the trigger pull felt different. Light strikes occur when you do that.

As far as the recoil spring catch, I assume it fit in properly at one time.  I guess check / clean the slot it fits into for anything obstructing it.  Does the recoil spring catch look normal?  If not,  have KT send you one.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Call for a new one. I keep spares for my 1st gen guns anyway. It is possible to loose them, you know. :-[

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your input. So, if I am catching what you're saying, this isn't abnormal and is nothing to worry about? I'd buy some of those if that's all it needs. I'd rather spend a bit on it and not be without it. This little gun is my "never leave home without it" gun. I am gonna post a pic. Take a look at it if you would and see if you guys still think it's normal.
Thanks!

One other thing, the manual lists that part as #194 but the parts website (http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html) area doesn't show it. I believe the parts list reflects the changes and illustrates the 2nd generation model - is that correct? If so, anyone know how to access the old parts list or does it require a phone call to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
bambihunter said:
Thank you guys for your input. So, if I am catching what you're saying, this isn't abnormal and is nothing to worry about? I'd buy some of those if that's all it needs. I'd rather spend a bit on it and not be without it. does it require a phone call to the manufacturer?
The fact that on one shot you likely didn't allow the trigger to fully reset is not a problem and is not related to the recoil spring catch.

It appears the recoil spring catch is slightly bent outwards but is apparently not causing you any problems. Does it look like it is a 90 degree angle when you remove it and examine it? There's obviously a point where it would be bent out so much that it could cause a problem. If so, you could tap it a bit with a small hammer and straighten it or just call KT tomorrow and and ask for a new one under warranty.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
bambihunter said:
One other thing, the manual lists that part as #194 but the parts website (http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html) area doesn't show it. I believe the parts list reflects the changes and illustrates the 2nd generation model - is that correct?
The website shows the 2G model which does not have a recoil spring catch as the 1G model has.

One other thing, the manual lists that part as #194
If so, anyone know how to access the old parts list or does it require a phone call to the manufacturer?
It's sounds like you have your 1G owner's manual since you know the part number. It has a parts list in it which you apparently looked at so what exactly do you need?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your's looks the same as mine, even after a replacement. I resolved it by going to Lowes and getting some JB weld and spreading a dab, or dab and a half, on the catch and reinstalling. It's a perfect 90 degree to the end of the frame.

The only problem I see with this is it probably cant be removed, but I don't see any reason to remove it ever.

Shazaam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.