Recoil spring bending OK?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jnorthway, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jnorthway

jnorthway New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    This is probably nothing, but I'll ask anyway.
    I shot my P3AT for the first time today. All went perfectly, no issues at all ;D.
    When I got home and was cleaning it up I noticed a slight bend in the recoil springs that was not there before.

When I put the pistol back together, I turned the springs around so the bent part was the opposite of original installation.

Is this normal? The gun functions perfectly. Just wondering...

Jon

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Some bend, some kink and some don't ;)

the small kink I have in the outer is because my spring goes coil to coil before the slide hits the frame, thus it jumps a coil. If the springs are not fully seated in the slide fit, the amount of overtravel of the slide gets greater. given the outer a CCW screwing in twist will help seat it.

I found, do to the limited amount of space for the spring in the frame groove, it is best to keep the spring in the same orintation and not turn it. To see if your springs are going solid, assemble slide only on frame and look under slide and observe the gap from the end of the slide closes with the slide all the way back. also look in magazine well to get referance how far back. now repeat fully assembled, when mine dosen't go as far back, i know the springs didn't seat properly and it take it back off and correct.

since you are very observant, you should also see the head of the recoil guide rod will have a wear from the barrel sliding over it. I scribed the head with respect to the barrel lug so I put it back the same each time

3. jnorthway

jnorthway New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    That all makes sense to me.
    I'll check it out.
    I'll switch the spring back to way it was too. I hadn't fired it since I reassembled it anyway
    Thanks,
    Jon

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    In the pic below the top set of springs are brand new Kel-Tec P-3AT springs, the middle set are brand new Wolf P-32 springs, the bottom set are my Kel-Tec P-3AT springs after a few hundred rounds of shooting.

The same (bottom set) are still in my gun after over 2000 rounds. They have now straightened out again on their own and are still running great!

So in my opinion, crooked springs are not a problem - just keep shooting!!

BTW, during the many times my gun has been cleaned I’m sure the springs got reoriented a few times - I don’t think it will harm them, and it may possibly help them. Could be that’s why they straightened out on their own - don’t know for sure.

Bobo

[​IMG]

5. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    They have a little curvature on my lil' kel-tec. Never gave it much thought.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It occurs to me that once they are on the guiderod there is no longer any bend to them?!?

-Scott

7. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    While it may not be required, I replace my P-3AT recoil springs every thousand rounds or so shooting regular ammo and every two hundred rounds when shooting Cor-Bon or Santa Barbara. Kel-Tec has always sent me free springs when mine get squashed badly.

Wilson – who’s all about protecting his mousegun investment :)

8. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Exactly. The bend/kink is a non issue when installed on a STEEL guide rod.