Featured Recent changes to the Gen 2 S2K?

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by ceeare, Oct 29, 2017.

1. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    I just received my new long-lusted-after S2K and had already planned/ordered many of the add-ons I knew I would want:

Sumo charging handle: Check
    22 round .40 S&W mag: Check
    Tacticool tube cover: Check
    M-Lok rail to attach to the starboard side of the forend: Check
    Red dot sight: Check
    Aftermarket Allen head assembly screws to replace the phillips head...uhhh...the phillips head, ummmm...

Waaait a minute...it already has chromed Allen screws there. And the thread protector nut on the muzzle is a heavily knurled round nut for finger operation, not the "normal" thread protector nut that I see on every S2K up to now.

Bought it on Gunbroker.com, great service, lightning shipping, came in the factory box, so I'm pretty sure it's not used or refurbished. Unless it is, and someone already hit it with some upgrades.

It was listed as a "Titanium" model on the listing (but I think it's actually nickel boron...I think titanium would have a yellow/gold hue, which this does not), but maybe that "Titanium" nomenclature means something?

Or has Kel-Tec simply added some recent upgrades?

Anybody? Or is it just me?

Thanks,

CeeAre

(PS Tried to attach a picture, but not familiar with the navigation here...the picture may be too large, but I was lucky to get even that.)

Attached Files:

2. Screwball

Screwball Member

Feb 25, 2017
    NJ
    I have a similar SUB-2000... the nickel-boron version. Just mine takes M&P40 magazines. Titanium is a material, not something that can be applied to steel.

The screws are also plated, but not that good in regards to quality. Even worse are the pins that the screws tighten into, which are bare aluminum. I recommend the MCARBO screw/pin kit... as well as most of the other parts they offer.

Even having the plated KelTec screws, I did put them back... because I sent the MCARBO ones to be plated to match. Will be swapped in when they come back. I also did the Sumo handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike42 and K-9 like this.

3. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Okay, so I gather that the Allen screws are not unusual...I was expecting phillips head, that's all I had seen or heard of on this firearm...but that they are still of questionable quality. Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the MCarbo products.
    But what about that knurled thread protector? I'm including a couple of close ups for clarification.
    And yeah, I get you on the titanium. That's why I was wondering if it was a model dubbed "Titanium", because that's how it was listed. If it were titanium, don't think it would still come in at a svelte 4+ lbs.

Thanks for the response and stay low, keep moving...

CeeAre

Attached Files:

4. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    That looks factory.
    What does the box say? (Besides "KEL-TEC")
    What does the label have printed on it?

5. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Here's a pic of the package. I'd already torn off the end piece with pertinent info on it for safekeeping, so that's it you see sitting on the box, last digits of the serial number redacted.

Definitely from the factory, but maybe a refurbished unit? There was no indication of that on the listing, it was presented as being "Factory new".
    And both the firearm and the magazine were installed in proper shipping sleeves as well, so at the very least it was factory-packed.

Gotta admit, I really like the knurled nut. Looks great and is very practical for tool-less tear down. Not that I'm planning on changing the sight or adding a suppressor, but still...looks great.

So is anyone else seeing this on their S2K? And the Allen screws on the forend, also normal?

(By the way, speaking of not knowing if something is normal, I've named her ZiKa. For Zombie Killer. That unfortunate mosquito thingy is just a coincidence.)

Stay low, keep moving...
    Craig

Attached Files:

6. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    The sticker will have the info on what yours is.
    I can't read it, but if it doesn't say titanium, it's not.
    Take a closer pic of the color label.
    I would trust the gun is new, not worry about how it was listed.

7. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Do you mean this label? The serial number is FLxxx, but that's not a color label, sooo...

All of this is just a matter of curiosity. As a wet-behind-the-ears owner of the S2K (had my every-day-carry PF9 for some time now) I'm just curious as to why some of these (perceived) upgrades showed up on this particular firearm.

WHOA! I just looked closely at that label myself...it has "NB/..." in the description. Nickel Boron, as suspected. Still doesn't address the mystery of the chrome plated (not satin nickel like the main bolts, they are definitely chrome plated/dressy) forend Allen screws and the knurled thread protector nut though.

By the way, I am one of those incredibly fortunate KT owners who lives within easy driving distance to Cocoa, have taken my PF9 to them from time to time for updates and the like, and as a result I'll put it up against any firearm on the market as to dependability. You pull the trigger, it go *BANG* first time, every time. Just sayin'. Pull trigger, *BANG*.

They treat you like family. Every time I've gone I get there late morning, leave the firearm, go have lunch and it's ready by the time I get back. They will thoroughly go over your firearm, polish the throat (if applicable), check for updates and install same and will also install any upgrades you buy while you're there for free. Like those special upgrade screws, for example. And then they test fire the weapon, leaving nothing to doubt. And then the gunsmith that inspected/fired your firearm comes out and tells you what he found, how it's tracking, gives you a virtual "bill of health".

Cost? Zip. Well, unless you get an add-on of some sort, yeah, you gotta buy that, but warranty/update parts and all labor...zip. So yeah, I'll be heading to Cocoa later this week and getting some definitive info then.

Another great thing about living in Central Florida. That and Gatorland, that makes two. Yep. But that's another story...

Stay low, keep moving,

Craig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Bubbas308AR

Bubbas308AR Member Supporter

Sep 17, 2017
    Mandan, ND
    The knurled nut pic is exactly how mine looks, and mine was factory new also.[​IMG]

I stole your pic, but mine is identical.

9. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Okay, mystery solved:

Visited Kel-Tec in Cocoa yesterday, had them go over and test fire the S2K, added an MLok picatinny rail on the port side to match the one I had added to starboard, and found out the knurled nut is a positive change instituted a few months ago. Pretty good one too, IMHO. Also found out from the serial number that my firearm was built in October of this year, so it was fresh off the assembly line when I bought it.

So here's ZiKa with just one more planned add on to go:

upload_2017-11-3_6-48-15.png

And here's the "...one more planned add on..."

[​IMG]

FFGS-1 FAB

Note: By adding an offset picatinny adapter to the starboard picatinny rail, I'm able to close the firearm without removing the red dot sight. When firing I can use the iron sights or, by slighting rotating the firearm counter clockwise, use the red dot.
    upload_2017-11-3_6-35-33.png

upload_2017-11-3_6-36-22.png

Stay low, keep moving...

Craig

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    850sub and mtn_chef like this.
  10. ksd1185

ksd1185 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    who makes the offset picatinny adapter that swivels?

11. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    I believe that is Midland Industries, but for about $3 for a UTG angled adapter vs. $99.99 (or so) for the MI...
    CeeAre

12. ksd1185

ksd1185 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Thanks
    thanks!

13. Bubbas308AR

Bubbas308AR Member Supporter

Sep 17, 2017
    Mandan, ND
    Did you mean Midwest Industries? http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

14. ceeare

ceeare Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Yep...Midland is the CB radio folks, Midwest is the right stuff. Knew it was something like that..thanks.
    Stay low, keep moving...
    Craig

15. Mike42

Mike42 Member

Nov 10, 2017
    If changing screw heads, I would pass on the hexheads and go with Torx screws.