Reassembly of P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TomT321, May 30, 2010.

1. TomT321

TomT321 New Member

May 30, 2010
    Went to the range today and shot my P3AT and when I got home tore it down to clean it. Not sure what happened but when I went to put it back together the upper assembly would not slide back on the frame past the rear of the frame. In other words it would not cock and I couldn't get the holding pin back into place. I took it apart and re-tried it several times to no avail. Anybody got any ideas? This is my "don't leave home without it" gun and I will feel naked until it is back in my pocket. I only live about 30 miles from the factory but hate to drive up there if it is something simple that I have done or not done.

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Congrats on making your first post on the Kel-Tec P3AT BB. Yes I have some ideas:

1 - Make sure the pistol cocked
    2 - Make sure the barrel and the recoil spring guide rod are centered in the slide.
    3 - Make sure the ejector is fully seated.

I hope the suggestions help.

Best Regards :)

3. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Sounds like you might have pulled the trigger and allowed the hammer to fall all the way forward. This is very common.

Pull it back with your finger or thumb until it clicks. Then put your slide in place and slide it rearward.

4. TomT321

TomT321 New Member

May 30, 2010
    Well lesson learned, I vaguely remember pulling the trigger when I had it apart as I have a lazer sight on it and and wanted to check and make sure that the batteries were still OK. So a long story short it became uncocked and once I rectified that situation it fell back together. Thanks you for the hints and now I don't feel so naked without my constant companion. ;D

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    That's great news. I'd hate to be without mine.

6. Dutch65

Dutch65 New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I am a new member and hope this post is not hijacking the topic.  I disassembled my P3AT for the first time - the manual is of little help here - and the ejector fell out.  I captured it but am having the devil trying to figure out how it goes back in during reassembly (where does this 'little thing' go?).  It looks like it should go into the slide just behind the barrel -  there is a 'niche' there that looks like it might be its place.  However, placing it there prevents assembly.  Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.  If there is a graphic someplace that someone could point me to that would help much.  And Hi  :)again.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG and yea this would be an off topic and I guess I should split it off, but I'll think about it some more.

as for the ejector, yes it goes into the spot in the frame.
    if you look closely, you will notice a tonuge that fits into a groove. the thing I use, one side will have a raised curved section. that curve is suppose to guide the rim of a round from the mag up and foward

8. Dutch65

Dutch65 New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks JFB! Using your words, I restudied the handbook parts blowup in the light of morning - sunshine at last in East Tennessee - and saw how the tongue and groove work. The ejector slipped right in and behaved itself while I remounted the slide. The action is good and off to the range later today. Thanks much - and I will carefully reread the posting rules.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    reading the rules is a good thing, but    ;)

I though about splitting, but the first question was solved and the title was approaite for yours, so I just left it here

However, I will if TomT321 feels like it should be removes

10. scdigger

scdigger New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    EXACT same thing happened to me last night...yes, I pulled the trigger...after fidgeting with it for a while, my dense brain finally figured it out and got the old girl back together.

Greg

11. TomT321

TomT321 New Member

May 30, 2010
    I have no objections and feel that if it helps a fellow KTOG member then "let it be".

Tom T 321

12. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    watch this video for disassembly and assemble of the P3AT

[ame]http://youtu.be/1SkU2eDPBes[/ame]

13. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Everyone posts about that little ejector falling out. When I first had the gun I couldn't find what they were talking about. Stripped it a couple times to clean and all was well. One day I was blasting out the guts with air and that little piece went flying and I didn't see it. Put gun together and WTF, would not eject a shell. Took it apart again and for the life of me could not figure out what was wrong. Got out the manual and studied it some more and realized the ejector was gone. After about an hour of searching I found it and put back in and all was well. Now every time I take it apart that thing falls out. Guess you guys were telling the truth after all. :)

14. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    Is there a reason the ejector needs to be removed at all? Could we glue it in place and not have to worry?

I had to do the hunt and peck on the floor finding where it went to one time, now I just pull it out after the slide comes off. Would be easier if it just stayed there.

15. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I have read of folks using thread lock material to "glue" it in.  This leads me to understand there is no problem with actually doing it.

16. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I have read of folks using thread lock material to "glue" it in.  This leads me to understand there is no problem with actually doing it.
    [/quote]

I read that thread locker eats plastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was thinking a dab of crazy glue or a hot glue gun.

17. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Kel-Tec will cheerfully send you a replacement . . . before or after you lose it.  

A little dab of silicone adhesive works well to hold it in place, does not attack any other materials, and is removable if needed.

But, if you get into a cleaning regimen that includes a dedicated location (like our laundry sink in the garage with the drain plug in place and paper towels on the bottom), you will always find it whenever it makes its escape attempt.   ;D