Reassembly issue after cleaning

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jdusc200, Nov 24, 2008.

1. jdusc200

jdusc200 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Greetings all-

Tonight I took my P3AT down for cleaning per the instructions in the manual.  While the gun was taken down (slide apart from frame) I pulled the trigger, causing the hammer to fall and it is still in the down position.  

My problem now is that after re-assembly, when I rack the slide the pistol won't "coch" and I cannot insert the magazine all the way because the hammer is still down.  As always, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
    JD

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You should be able to, with the slide off, grab the hammer with the tip of your finger and pull it back locking it into is original position then put the slide on.

-Scott

3. jdusc200

jdusc200 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks Scott, but I already tried that (have been able to in the past) but its stuck good. Whatever amount of pressure is required to force it back up isn't a job for the human hand. I cleaned everything with good old Hoppes no 9 and then applied some Rem Oil to the friction areas, so what has the hammer stuck down is a mystery. I've only had the gun 6 mos and shot it twice, would hate to already have to send it back to the factory.

Any more ideas?

4. jdusc200

jdusc200 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    OK I spoke too soon... I applied a little *more* <grunt> pressure and got the hammer back upright. I put a few drops of oil on the hammer/trigger spring area so hopefully that'll keep things nice and smooth for my next round. Thanks again.

JD

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Normally, the slide will not go back on, because the hammer is about 30 degrees forward and blocks the slide and there is not enough head room for the hammer to go past top dead center. I would think yoou are missing a section of the frame where the hammer struck and broke off. You should exaimne closely and see how extensive the damages are. You might still be "OK" :-/

6. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Normally, the slide will not go back on, because the hammer is about 30 degrees forward and blocks the slide and there is not enough head room for the hammer to go past top dead center.  I would think you are missing a section of the frame where the hammer struck and broke off.  You should exaimne closely and see how extensive the damages are.  You might still be "OK"  :-/
    [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing the first time I field strip mine i pull the trigger letting the hammer fall, and i couldn't re assemble it until i put my hammer back using my fingers, it took me about 20 minutes to figure it out trying to push the slide back to reassemble it

7. poorfish

poorfish New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    install empty clip problem solved.   The clip will push the hammer up so that it is easy to reset. Then reassemble as normal. 

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It is bad form to ever pull the trigger on an unassembled gun, of any brand.

Nothing there to stop the hammer normally, and it can cause a lot of damage.

rcmodel

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome Poorfish! And thank you for trying to help, although I am pretty sure this was already resolved considering this thread was a couple of weeks old.

Is it possible here that we have an example of two different people referring to the same part by different words causing, at best, some confusion?

One poster wrote:
    and while that may work in some weapons, it is not likely to work here.  In fact, the OP wrote:

Which of course give me an opportunity (in a very playful way of course, not in any way to attack) use one of my favorite jpgs:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

10. poorfish

poorfish New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Try this, remove the slide from the 3at pull the trigger. Now put the slide back on and try to insert the mag. It won't go all the way in right and the trigger will not function Solution remove the slide, now insert clip or mag which raises the hammer so it can be reached. Reset hammer and install slide problem solved.

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    U crazy cuz, my fotay done take clips!  I aksed a smart brutha down tha corner an he said you be full a chit!

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

for some reason I can't do that with mine

first, if I pull the trigger, the slide will not go on. There is not enough space in the slide for the hammer to go past top dead center.

with the slide off and the trigger pulled, inserting the mag doesnot touch the hammer.

You must have a broken frame which allows the hammer to rotated farther than 30 degrees past TDC where mine stops.