rear pocket holster question.......

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rsq955, Jun 5, 2011.

1. rsq955

rsq955 New Member

May 25, 2011
    Ok, I am a proud owner of a PF9. I am about to get a P3AT to have for different carry situations. The package I am getting comes with a rear pocket holster.

My question is this ( please forgive the stupidity of it) If I am wearing the rear pocket holster, can it damage the gun when I sit down?

One more question, I was kind of hesitant of getting a P3AT when I already have a PF9, but do you guys find that different situations really call for a P3AT more than a PF9?

Thanks Everyone.......

Sam

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    No and Yes.  :)

Several KTOG members have reported falling on a back pocket carried P3 with no damage to the gun.... maybe a nice bruse on their bum.   I have back pocket carried my P3 and never had an issue other than getting a little sore if I sit on it for a long time.

I have a PF9 and a P3at and they are a great combination.   The P3 can be your "always" gun, you can carry it 100% of the time.   The PF9 is great when you don't mind something bigger or want to have the 9mm.   It's also a good way to have a primary and a back up or big gun and little gun if you will.

CJ

3. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    i have the same combo of guns and carry my p3at in a back pocket holster, very fast and comfy, TALON LEATHER HOLSTER, the pf9 is carried iwb or in front pocket, depending...

4. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
  5. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I'm over 250 carried P32 and P 3ATs in a K&D 2n1 rear pocket holster over 4 years daily. Even fell on ice and landed on it ,gun OK,me too after the bruise went away ;)

6. Mpanova

Mpanova New Member

May 27, 2011
    Houston TX
    I have carried a small 380 of one flavor or another in my back pocket for a few years and never had a problem with damaging the pistol

7. rsq955

rsq955 New Member

May 25, 2011
    This is all great stuff to hear. I am getting more excited about picking up my p3at tomorrow. I have read a lot of people hating on the P3AT on the internet, but to me I feel that it is a small gun that serves a specific purpose. I know that with this gun I am not going to be mowing down zombies at 80yards, but at 20 feet or less I should be able to adequately defend myself..... I will let you guys know how it goes with my p3at and R J Hedley Holster............ Take Care.....

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I also like rear pocket carry for another reason, if someone tries to rob you they will think you are complying if you reach for your rear pocket. Of course there are disadvantages to rear pocket carry. If your driving you really can't draw without alot of movement so you should keep that in mind. Also it's possible that someone could steal your weapon, thinking it's your wallet. I have a leather holster and it would come out with the P3 so I had to add some rubber grip tape.
    I'm not saying that armed resistance is always the best option but I think it should always be an option.

CJ

9. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    ??? That is one of the main reasons I do carry in the back pocket. I can get to it with my seat belt on. How can you get to your front pockets while sitting down? I never understood that one. FWIW, I'm 6ft/180lbs. I do carry a bigger gun when I can, and in the car I can, so I'd probably be going for that instead of the p3, but still, I can get the p3 out of the back pocket, not the front.

Lop

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm one of those who has fallen on the P3AT. I slipped on ice in the parking lot while my P3AT was in my back pocket. I had a gun shaped bruise on my butt for a week. ;D ;D ;D

11. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    The above post proves that although pictures often improve a post, they sometimes don't. ;)
    Glad you are both ok.

12. rsq955

rsq955 New Member

May 25, 2011

HAHAHAHA..... I am glad to hear that I will not damage the gun by sitting on it............ This forum is great.......... Tons of info........ Thanks everyone......

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I know rcmodel has done the same, as reported here a couple years back.  Good thing there's never any ice around here to speak of, or I'd be on the list too. Tough little guns - leave a bruise on your buns. :D  

14. martywj

martywj New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I have a P3AT that I carry in a Uncle Geoge Wallet holster, and it gets sat on all the time without any damage. I also have PF9, but I carry it in a Done Hume IWB holster as I find it a little big to carry in my pocket.

The P3AT is my shorts carrying gun or just stick it in my pocket gun like last night when we went to dinner. It was in my strong side back pocket with a spare mag in my weak side front pocket.

The PF9 is my motorcycle carry gun as it just disappears with what ever gear I am wearing. Sometimes I carry a spare mag, but lots of times I just carry the P3AT as a "New York Reload".

I have other carry weapons besides the Kel-Tec's. A XD40SC, Glock 27 Gen4, a couple of 9mm 3rd generation S&W, and a couple of S&W .38 revolvers. one snubbie and a 3".

Marty

15. rsq955

rsq955 New Member

May 25, 2011
    I am jelous of all of your options... ;) I shot my p3at today ... I am impressed, it shot great. I was at an outdoor range and the only lanes that were open were 25yrd.. For such a distance My groupings were really good...... I like it.....