Rear pin removal

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by toreskha, Feb 11, 2008.

1. toreskha

toreskha New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    I'm attempting to remove the rear pin in order to install a pin for the belt clip. The instructions say:

1) Make sure firearm is unloaded.
    2) Remove rear frame pin - use punch and lightly tap with small hammer.

The rear frame pin doesn't seem to want to come out. I've "lightly tapped" and not-so-lightly tapped it, but it won't budge. I don't want to break something...am I missing a step here?

2. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    No, it should just tap out. When I did my P-32 I used a C-clamp (and some pads to protect the gun) to mount the gun to a 2x4 and then put the 2x4 in a vice. If the gun is loose it will bounce around too much, which can mean not enough force getting transferred to the pin. Might also try hammering it from the other side.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    lightly tap = POUND THE HECK OUT OF IT!  At least as hard as driving a nail into a 2x4.  Make sure the entire grip is very well supported with a hole on the back side for the pin to go into.  I like using a 50 round rack that comes in a box of ammo to set the gun on.  And make sure the punch is as as close as possible to the size of the pin.

And just a safety reminder - you are going to use a pocket holster over the trigger when you carry with that clip aren't you! [​IMG]

-Scott

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Hi toreskha. Welcome to KTOG!

You have received good advice. You ARE using a flat pointed pin punch right? Anything sharp will spread the pin and make it jam. Set it on its LEFT side on a hard cartridge rack and put THAT on a solid surface like a concrete floor.

BTW: If you are located in GA, you can ONLY legally carry in a HOLSTER.

Packer.

5. As already noted... make sure gun is properly supported with a hole in a block under the pin.... (make sure it is the right pin and the right size punch).. add a few drops of remoil or some other light oil on top of the pin and between grips and frame at pin...and let it soak a while... then tap it out.  The oil may not help, but it can not hurt.

Just to be sure... can you tell us what pin # you are trying to remove?

[​IMG]

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I use a blunted nail just smaller than the pin. It really shouldn't require that hard a hit. :-/