Real World Function Testing

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by torrent, Feb 17, 2011.

1. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I just want to give you guys a heads up and remind everybody not to become complacent and lazy like me. In the past 6 months my P3AT has been carried very little and not been shot or cleaned. My method of carry is IWB in a leather Quest tuckable holster in the 5 o'clock position. Today the temp reached 70* so I loaded up a few handguns and went to the range. I hadn't shot this gun in 6 months and it was clear that even though I used graphite lube on the slide rails, the oil on the other parts was completely gone. If I had've needed the gun in a SD situation it probably would've worked fine with the good ammo I use but it sure wasn't ready for the range.

Ammo used:
    Magtech HP (2008)-35rds.
    WWB FMJ (2010)-25rds.
    Win. Supreme Super Whammy bullets (2010)-5rds.

The older Magtech ammo was starting to turn dark so it was time to get rid of it. Honestly I was expecting poor performance based on the ammo's age and the fact that my P3AT never liked them to begin with. I loaded my mags with 5rds each that way it is easier to do a combat count and not dry fire the gun. Out of 7 mags all but 2 had malfunctions. Some of that was operator error but most was ammo related. you name the malfunction and I had it.

WWB functioned well even when shooting with my weak hand.

My carry ammo didn't give me any problems.

2. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Well the last time I shot the P3AT was the first time in a year. It worked fine and the lube was good but...

I use Shooter's Choice Hi-Tech Lube for my carry guns.

3. robin.kevin

robin.kevin Guest

If you are putting a firearm up for storage, you have to really over lube it. My hunting rifles for example gets used 3 weeks out of the year. After the season I lube them real good with just plain rem oil and put in the safe. When it comes time to hunt I fire a few rounds at the target just to make sure everything is still good, yet I have never had a problem with them.

To top that, my mother has a .38 snub S&W nickel plated. It had been clean last by my brother I know at least 5 years ago. This past year she asked me to check it and make sure it was still lube and working in case she needs it. I get it out and it still had a nice film of rem oil on it and operated fine.

My point is, its a lot to do with where and how you store your firearms. If in a safe where you dont have air movement to dry the oil they will be fine with a nice heavy coat of normal oil ( I just happen to like rem oil. Runs in the family being hunters I guess lol). Now for my defense firearms. This would be my Mossberg 12GA and now my Kel Tec I do checks on them and oil as needed. The Mossberg gets checked and spot lube about every 2 weeks to a month. My Kel Tec being my carry weapon is inspected daily (usually at night) to make sure its lubed and operational. It should become habit to check your firearms not put up in a safe or lock box (in a cool dry place).

Just my 2 cents

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I did a similar "test" with my P3AT in 2009(?). I had carried it for weeks without cleaning it. There was a little lint in the mag well that I blew out. I also doubled checked the barrel wasn't blocked. I then ran several mags through my P3AT without a single failure.

I also did an extreme test with my P3AT. I loaded up 400 rounds with the plan on running it until it jammed. I shot all 400 rounds without a single failure. It never jammed, the slide never stuck, all rounds fired and the gun cycled all 400 rounds. I gave up on trying to make this gun jam. That is why I carry it as my BUG 6 days a week and as my primary one day week. You know, the only day a week I work. ;D ;D ;D

5. Mepperson

Mepperson New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It's nice to get on the forum and learn something just about every day. I never thought about needing to clean the gun if it hasn't been fired but all of the points seem logical. I may have to get into some kind of regular routine, especially when summer rolls around. Thanks for the info guys.